+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship question

Andy.ve

Oct 19, 2017
Hello! I've been reading this forum for a while but this is the first time I post. I wonder if someone knows about this and can help me:

I sent my application along with an owp application on the 12th of October, and it arrived to the office on the 13th. I've read that it can take about a month to receive an email saying that they are processing it. My problem is that my status as a visitor expires on the 23rd of November and I don't know if my app will be processing by then. My question is: would I have to leave Canada on that date or does the fact that I sent it in gives me an implied status already? And in case that it doesn't and I have to leave the country, What would happen with my application?

I'm trying to call the office but I haven't been able to get ahold of an agent, in the meanwhile I'd appreciate if someone knows or has any opinions on the matter

Haire Gabriela

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Quebec, Canada
My visitor status expired on October 1st after I sent my application, took us from August 23rd until October 10th to receive our first AOR (letter to let you know that they have received your papers and giving you the information to link for faster processing).
As far as I know, you only receive an implied status when you receive the AOR because if your application gets returned for any reason, then it doesn't count.
To be safe, I would recommend you to do the same I did, ask for a visa extension at least 30 days prior, show them proof that you have applied for PR (Like the payment of the fees) and that you want to remain in Canada during the process until you get a final decision from IRCC.
Processing times for the visa extension are about 4 months, meaning that you would be on implied status already if you don't receive your AOR in time.

Andy.ve

Oct 19, 2017
My visitor status expired on October 1st after I sent my application, took us from August 23rd until October 10th to receive our first AOR (letter to let you know that they have received your papers and giving you the information to link for faster processing).
As far as I know, you only receive an implied status when you receive the AOR because if your application gets returned for any reason, then it doesn't count.
To be safe, I would recommend you to do the same I did, ask for a visa extension at least 30 days prior, show them proof that you have applied for PR (Like the payment of the fees) and that you want to remain in Canada during the process until you get a final decision from IRCC.
Processing times for the visa extension are about 4 months, meaning that you would be on implied status already if you don't receive your AOR in time.
Yea I've been thinking about doing that but I didn't know if sending the visa extension request after I sent the spousal sponsorship app was allowed. So by sending the extension request online will I get the implied status immediately?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yea I've been thinking about doing that but I didn't know if sending the visa extension request after I sent the spousal sponsorship app was allowed. So by sending the extension request online will I get the implied status immediately?
Yes - you can apply to extend your visitor visa. You won't get implied status immediately since you still have valid status until November 23rd. But you'll be under implied status after November 23rd since you've filed the extension.

Reactions: Andy.ve

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
Yes - you can apply to extend your visitor visa. You won't get implied status immediately since you still have valid status until November 23rd. But you'll be under implied status after November 23rd since you've filed the extension.
If you're on a workers VISA and PGWP that will expire. to benefit from impied status do you apply for a visitor VISA or workers visa? how does that work?

Andy.ve

Oct 19, 2017
Thank you all so much for the help. I'm applying for the visa extension right now. Should save me and my spouse a lot of anxiety!

One last question: Should I specify that I wanna stay longer because of my sponsorship application? And also, how do I show that I payed for it? Should I upload the proof of payment from the sponsorship app as an additional document?

Thanks!!

Haire Gabriela

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Yes, it's very important that you specify that you're applying for PR under spousal, processing times are long and you don't want to overstay illegally in Canada. Most people I've read around applied under that reason and also by saying they wanted to spend more time with their family.
For the proof, add an explanation letter, when you paid for the PR fees they gave you receipts that you could print, add that and anything else that you consider important.

Reactions: Andy.ve

Andy.ve

Oct 19, 2017
Yes, it's very important that you specify that you're applying for PR under spousal, processing times are long and you don't want to overstay illegally in Canada. Most people I've read around applied under that reason and also by saying they wanted to spend more time with their family.
For the proof, add an explanation letter, when you paid for the PR fees they gave you receipts that you could print, add that and anything else that you consider important.
Thank you so much again! Will follow your advice. Cheers from a Venezuelan fellow :)

Reactions: Haire Gabriela