+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship during the Coronavirus

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
Hello,

Because of this virus and banning non essential travelers from entering Canada. Can my wife still send in an inland sponsorship and open work permit until the borders open again and I can move there?

That being said, once they are both submitted and recieved, will the time that is spent waiting on the borders count towards both applications? Exactly the same as waiting within the country?
I'm ready to move there when the borders open again though because all of this everything is just a mess for everyone.

Another question is when doing this sponsorship, am I able to cross the border from Canada to the US to work for an "Essential" business?

Thank you everyone and stay safe!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Because of this virus and banning non essential travelers from entering Canada. Can my wife still send in an inland sponsorship and open work permit until the borders open again and I can move there?

That being said, once they are both submitted and recieved, will the time that is spent waiting on the borders count towards both applications? Exactly the same as waiting within the country?
I'm ready to move there when the borders open again though because all of this everything is just a mess for everyone.

Another question is when doing this sponsorship, am I able to cross the border from Canada to the US to work for an "Essential" business?

Thank you everyone and stay safe!
No. She can only send an inland application with an OWP if you are physically living in Canada. If you are outside of Canada and she wants to apply now, she will need to submit an ouland application (no OWP).

As the spouse of a Canadian, the ban does not apply to you and you can come to Canada now.

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
No. She can only send an inland application with an OWP if you are physically living in Canada. If you are outside of Canada and she wants to apply now, she will need to submit an ouland application (no OWP).

As the spouse of a Canadian, the ban does not apply to you and you can come to Canada now.
So basically if we want inland and papers are approved, then I can come and be with her and start the process for 12 months?
What about the closure of appoinments and biometrics for the process?

Also my last question being that will I be able to cross the border to work on sponsorship when I am returning? I have a paper document from the company I am working at saying that I am an "essential" though I feel it would look like I am abandoning the sponsorship process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So basically if we want inland and papers are approved, then I can come and be with her and start the process for 12 months?
What about the closure of appoinments and biometrics for the process?

Also my last question being that will I be able to cross the border to work on sponsorship when I am returning? I have a paper document from the company I am working at saying that I am an "essential" though I feel it would look like I am abandoning the sponsorship process?
When you say you are working in the US, what exactly do you mean by that? How often will you be leaving and for how long?

IRCC / CBSA won't care about the paper document. They won't give it any weight.

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
Like working for salary at a company that manufactures food products. It is right next to the border betwee Surrey, BC and Blaine, Washington State.
It would be 5 days of 40 hours, leaving in the afternoon and coming back at night.

That would make sense about the paper document.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Like working for salary at a company that manufactures food products. It is right next to the border betwee Surrey, BC and Blaine, Washington State.
It would be 5 days of 40 hours, leaving in the afternoon and coming back at night.

That would make sense about the paper document.
With the current border situation, you have no chance of being able to do that. If you need to be in the US for your job, apply outland.

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
So what if there was no border situation. Would doing that travel back and forth be considered an abandonment of the sponsorship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what if there was no border situation. Would doing that travel back and forth be considered an abandonment of the sponsorship?
Even withount COVID, this would be an issued and not workable. Sooner or later CBAS would deny you entry into Canada since this is not normal visitor behaviour.

If you want to be able to work in the US, apply outland.

Reactions: Bornlucky

Ayele demlew

Mar 28, 2020
Hello beautiful peoples my name is Ayele Demlew I'm from Ethiopia i have ba bachelor's degree in art of science Accounting and fiance our countries are good economic and social caltural relationship
canada is one of my favorite place so please help me to work and live in this super natural country

Last edited: