+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*INLAND* Spousal Sponsorship *AUGUST 2021*

Rebecca0500

May 26, 2021
So just to clarify, if the applicant is a US citizen, they don't need to give biometrics? My husband (American) received an email from CIC asking for biometrics. I assumed if they didn't need them, they wouldn't ask for them? It's just a bit confusing!

Harman1297

Aug 17, 2021
So just to clarify, if the applicant is a US citizen, they don't need to give biometrics? My husband (American) received an email from CIC asking for biometrics. I assumed if they didn't need them, they wouldn't ask for them? It's just a bit confusing!
If the email came with all the instructions, barcode. Then they need them. If the email is asking you to pay for fees, everyone gets that as a reminder. But im pretty sure that Americans dont need biometrics. Hope this helps.

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM
Agreed. The website is not terribly clear. I asked this same question in my group and the response was that all PR applicants have to give biometrics. Apparently the answer to the line asking "Are you applying for a permanent resident card? (required)" should be "No" as we are applying for PR status not the card itself. If you select "No", then the exception for all PR applicants comes up. It is just very unclear on the webform given the wording they use.

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM
If the email came with all the instructions, barcode. Then they need them. If the email is asking you to pay for fees, everyone gets that as a reminder. But im pretty sure that Americans dont need biometrics. Hope this helps.
Apparently all PR applicants now need biometrics. My husband is a US citizen and I thought the same but was apparently filling in the webform incorrectly because the wording of the question wasn't clear. If you answer "No" to the questions about applying for a PR card, that's when you see the exception saying all PR applicant's must give biometrics.

Harman1297

Aug 17, 2021
Apparently all PR applicants now need biometrics. My husband is a US citizen and I thought the same but was apparently filling in the webform incorrectly because the wording of the question wasn't clear. If you answer "No" to the questions about applying for a PR card, that's when you see the exception saying all PR applicant's must give biometrics.
if someone needs biometrics it comes on the GC key account as “ action required on your end”
Then if you see where it says “we are processing your application” it will also say “we need your biometrics to process this application”
Thats how you know if you really need them or not.

Harman1297

Aug 17, 2021
Tbh its only $85 fees. Even if you guys pay it and it doesn’t get used, you can always get a refund. Rules are always changing, its better to be safe than sorry. Just pay the fees and wait if you get instructions to get book an appointment. If no, ask for refund after you get your PR.

Reactions: Kimbear

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM
if someone needs biometrics it comes on the GC key account as “ action required on your end”
Then if you see where it says “we are processing your application” it will also say “we need your biometrics to process this application”
Thats how you know if you really need them or not.
Good to know! We aren't there yet as we only applied last month and I was asking about biometrics given that almost no one on the Tracking Tool is exempt, even US citizens. We didn't pay the fee when we applied because the webform we apparently filled in wrong said my husband is exempt. The response I got was from one of the VIP members but the webform is seriously unclear regardless.

Harman1297

Aug 17, 2021
Good to know! We aren't there yet as we only applied last month and I was asking about biometrics given that almost no one on the Tracking Tool is exempt, even US citizens. We didn't pay the fee when we applied because the webform we apparently filled in wrong said my husband is exempt. The response I got was from one of the VIP members but the webform is seriously unclear regardless.
If you guys will need biometrics done, they will send you an email to pay the fees, after they start processing. Don’t worry about it.
you can still pay it later and get biometrics done. You will just have to attach the pdf in webform and send it to them. They update documents pretty fast. I had to change my passport number (i got new passport) and they emailed me back within 48 hours.

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM
If you guys will need biometrics done, they will send you an email to pay the fees, after they start processing. Don’t worry about it.
you can still pay it later and get biometrics done. You will just have to attach the pdf in webform and send it to them. They update documents pretty fast. I had to change my passport number (i got new passport) and they emailed me back within 48 hours.
Perfect, thank you!

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
Which is what they did to me, a day or so after the medical. i swear that new rule is new. cuz almost every other US citizen on the spreadhseet not just out month says exempt and my immigration consultant checked for me too and say we didn't need it. so its a recent undocumented change.

Harman1297

Aug 17, 2021
Which is what they did to me, a day or so after the medical. i swear that new rule is new. cuz almost every other US citizen on the spreadhseet not just out month says exempt and my immigration consultant checked for me too and say we didn't need it. so its a recent undocumented change.
Yeah, that why i posted that everybody should just pay for it. If its not used then you can always get a refund. Its not worth risking for just $85.

Reactions: Kimbear

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
it is..i paid the 85$ just now :( so probably going to be delayed for us now too. ARGH

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
was it just a generic email? we had to update passport as well since it got damaged. and we just got a generic answer.