+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship Application - OWP/Work Permit Extension Question

lakwachero

Aug 23, 2016
Hi there,

Me and my husband are in a bind. We got married back in Aug 2016 and applied for his work visa extension (OWP), sponsorship and PR application all at the same time – as per the IRCC’s advise. When they had emailed us the necessary forms I didn’t notice any for work permit extension forms and didn’t notice at the time when we were applying. When I called back in November they said it takes 4 months which meant January 2017. My husband and I have been trying to get a hold of them since then to no avail. The lines are always busy and we just can’t seem to get a hold of anyone to get answers. At this point, I was concerned and after doing my own research I realized that we may have missed a form – the IMM5710.

Here are my concerns:

* Did we need to submit the IMM5710 for at the time we submitted for PR? Are there any other forms we should have included from a work permit perspective?

* If my husband didn’t technically apply for his work permit extension, is he currently working illegally? Since his original work permit expired in Aug 2016 (He was only here for a one year work permit, before we got married). He’s still at Starbucks (which is his previous employer) he continued to work there because we assumed he was under ‘implied status’, under the condition that he had an extended work permit application being considered

* We had paid for the open work permit/work permit extension back in Aug 2016 and have the receipt, does this help us prove no ill-intent or help us in any way?

* Can we apply for it now? It say on the website that the OWP pilot is done Dec 2016, if it's still available will he have to wait another for months from when we apply now? It’s already been 7 months at this point and he’d love to be able to apply for a different job, or leave the country a bit to visit his family back in Spain who he hasn’t seen for almost 2 years

* Will this affect his PR application in anyway?

Any help/insight would be amazing. Thank you so much! This forum is such an amazing community and tool, we appreciate it big time.

L