+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship app sent August 18, 2021

Jan 3, 2021
Hi there!

I applied to sponsor my husband through inland spousal sponsorship (with no OWP) back on August 18. We got confirmation from our courier service that the package was received and signed for, and zero communication since. I’ve seen people mention in posts about a temporary AOR, but We haven’t had anything like that. I also attempted to call the IRCC line, but was unable to get through to an agent since we have no UCI or file numbers of any kind yet, just the receipt number from paying our fees. Is this normal?

ALSO- we applied to extend his visitor status back on September 10. I can’t help but feel anxious that it could be rejected (even though we consulted with a lawyer who said it’s unlikely). We’re still waiting on these results too, with no real progress so far. Wondering if anyone knows whether visitor extensions are often denied when the applicant has an inland spousal sponsorship app in progress?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!

Jan 3, 2021
Oh also maybe worth mentioning. I’m pregnant and due in July. On the chance that my husband IS denied the extension of his visitor status, do we have any other options for him to be in Canada for the birth of our baby?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there!

I applied to sponsor my husband through inland spousal sponsorship (with no OWP) back on August 18. We got confirmation from our courier service that the package was received and signed for, and zero communication since. I’ve seen people mention in posts about a temporary AOR, but We haven’t had anything like that. I also attempted to call the IRCC line, but was unable to get through to an agent since we have no UCI or file numbers of any kind yet, just the receipt number from paying our fees. Is this normal?

ALSO- we applied to extend his visitor status back on September 10. I can’t help but feel anxious that it could be rejected (even though we consulted with a lawyer who said it’s unlikely). We’re still waiting on these results too, with no real progress so far. Wondering if anyone knows whether visitor extensions are often denied when the applicant has an inland spousal sponsorship app in progress?

If you applied to extend and included proof that you had applied to sponsor your spouse you shouldn't get denied. In the rare chance you get denied he can apply for restoration to buy some time.

Reactions: KatieNicole831

Beeakh

Star Member
Mar 3, 2021
Hi there!

When you applied for extension of visitor visa, did you get confirmation? That it has been submitted and is in process? If you did, then he is on implied status. You shouldn't worry then. Hopefully you will hear soon on PR.

Jan 3, 2021
When you applied for extension of visitor visa, did you get confirmation? That it has been submitted and is in process? If you did, then he is on implied status. You shouldn't worry then. Hopefully you will hear soon on PR.
We did thankfully. Yeah he’s been on implied status for more than 6 months now! I’m just letting my imagination run wild and worried that he may end up not getting the extension approved when they do finally make a decision. From everything I hear, that thankfully sounds pretty unlikely though.

Beeakh

Star Member
Mar 3, 2021
We did thankfully. Yeah he’s been on implied status for more than 6 months now! I’m just letting my imagination run wild and worried that he may end up not getting the extension approved when they do finally make a decision. From everything I hear, that thankfully sounds pretty unlikely though.
I am in the same boat. I applied for extension in September but my process for PR has started so I don't think there would be anything on extension. So you and your husband will be fine. *fingers crossed*

Jan 3, 2021
I am in the same boat. I applied for extension in September but my process for PR has started so I don't think there would be anything on extension. So you and your husband will be fine. *fingers crossed*
Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you’re right :) good luck with your PR process!

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi, totally understand your concern. We would all be concerned if we were in your shoes. I have some comments and advice.

1.) There are people who never received temporary AOR but ended up with full AOR in the end. IRCC is in a bit of a mess now and they miss these sorts of details.

2.) As previous posters mentioned, if the app gets returned, you can always apply for restoration of status. If it comes to this, you should also write a letter in your supplemental information to inform IRCC that you just had a baby (or are on track to) and spouse needs to be in Canada to help raise the child. Also mention intention to reapply for sponsorship.

3.) I also attempted to call the IRCC line, but was unable to get through to an agent since we have no UCI or file numbers of any kind yet, just the receipt number from paying our fees. Is this normal?

You do not need a UCI number. You have to try all menu options to figure out a way to get to the point where you can press "0" to speak to an agent. If you can do that, if you mention your receipt number, they might be able to help you. That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck and I hope all works out for you in the end!

Reactions: KatieNicole831
Jan 3, 2021
Hi, totally understand your concern. We would all be concerned if we were in your shoes. I have some comments and advice.

1.) There are people who never received temporary AOR but ended up with full AOR in the end. IRCC is in a bit of a mess now and they miss these sorts of details.

2.) As previous posters mentioned, if the app gets returned, you can always apply for restoration of status. If it comes to this, you should also write a letter in your supplemental information to inform IRCC that you just had a baby (or are on track to) and spouse needs to be in Canada to help raise the child. Also mention intention to reapply for sponsorship.

3.) I also attempted to call the IRCC line, but was unable to get through to an agent since we have no UCI or file numbers of any kind yet, just the receipt number from paying our fees. Is this normal?

You do not need a UCI number. You have to try all menu options to figure out a way to get to the point where you can press "0" to speak to an agent. If you can do that, if you mention your receipt number, they might be able to help you. That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck and I hope all works out for you in the end!
I was finally able to get through this afternoon to an agent through the IRCC line - he was very kind and apologetic as apparently their system is down so he was unable to give me a temporary file number, but encouraged me to call again tomorrow for this. He also said the fact that I got a receipt from FedEx saying the application was signed for means it should be in their system. So I’m feeling positive! Thanks for the help you’ve been able to provide!

Reactions: dillym
Jan 3, 2021
So finally got ahold of the IRCC through their phone system, got a temporary file number, and was told by the agent that she thinks I sent it to the wrong processing centre. (We applied inland spousal sponsorship with a courier, so sent it to the Dorchester St. address, as advised by our lawyer, and directed on the IMM5533e document).
Not sure if she is wrong or we were wrong, but she said there’s a chance my application could be returned. She suggested making a web form and screenshotting the IMM5533e where it shows this address just to cover our butts in the hopes that they’ll just transfer the file to the correct processing centre. However we weren’t able to successfully link our temporary file number.... any suggestions?

• Wow
Jan 3, 2021
Okay I’m feeling like a big dummy... turns out the application we submitted was for Outland while living in Canada. So, comforting to know it’s at the right processing centre! (Also I just realized I said August 2021 in my thread title. Thanks for bearing with my frazzled pregnant brain folks!)

Reactions: neuroCanadian
Jan 3, 2021
Got approval for my husband’s visitor extension today for until September 2021 (we requested a year when we submitted it) - thank goodness! Hang in there to anyone else in a similar boat! You’ve got this!

• Love