+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal - health care while waiting?

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
Hi, me and my fiancé are about to do our inland application soon and I have heard a rumour that only Alberta will give her health care coverage while waiting for a decision. We have the option of getting an Alberta or BC marriage license (and address of residence) since I work and travel back and forth very frequently. I have tried to find more info on the topic without any success, does anyone know for sure? I believe the tax benefit favours the BC side but I'm not sure if I can claim her as a dependant on my income tax before she has PR status?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Not sure about the tax side at all, but you are correct that Alberta is the only province where she can get on provincial health care as a visitor (it doesn't even matter if she has applied for PR or not). I believe the access comes from being married to someone who is on Alberta health care and having a visitor record or visitor visa valid for 6-12 months showing she intends to stay in Alberta for that period of time

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
I can only speak for Ontario, but not sure this would be a big factor for me in deciding where to move to.

You'd likely want topped up healthcare anyway, which will either be provided by your employer or you'll pay extra for.

The basic part you miss in Ontario (OHIP) can be insured forn $60pcm or something.