+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*Inland* spousal application but need occasional short-term travel outside Canada?

Psyer

Dec 21, 2017
Dear all, I (principle applicant) am submitting an inland spousal sponsorship. I'm already in Canada with a multi-entry TRV. I work remotely for a German research institute, and my job requires occasional short-term travels to Germany (about 2x a year for 1-3 weeks each time). A few immigration consultants warned me that I should go for outland application instead, because I shouldn't leave Canada during the processing, or else my re-entry to Canada may get rejected and my application forfeited. But I strongly prefer inland application because I really need an OWP.

Do you think an inland application is doable given given my situation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all, I (principle applicant) am submitting an inland spousal sponsorship. I'm already in Canada with a multi-entry TRV. I work remotely for a German research institute, and my job requires occasional short-term travels to Germany (about 2x a year for 1-3 weeks each time). A few immigration consultants warned me that I should go for outland application instead, because I shouldn't leave Canada during the processing, or else my re-entry to Canada may get rejected and my application forfeited. But I strongly prefer inland application because I really need an OWP.

Do you think an inland application is doable given given my situation?
Could you give up the travel? Is you research institute at all associatEd with Canada? Do they have Canadian clients? Partner with Canadian companies or universities? If there are any connections you can’t work removetely in Canada without a work permit. Inland is a risk. If you go for one week that may be ok but 3 weeks twice would be really pushing it. You could be refused and would have to start th3 process again.

Psyer

Dec 21, 2017
Could you give up the travel? Is you research institute at all associatEd with Canada? Do they have Canadian clients? Partner with Canadian companies or universities? If there are any connections you can’t work removetely in Canada without a work permit. Inland is a risk. If you go for one week that may be ok but 3 weeks twice would be really pushing it. You could be refused and would have to start th3 process again.
They have no connections with Canada at all.

I have consulted about 5 immigration consultants (I believe that all of them are certified consultants). 3 of them advised against inland application. The other 2 said that short-term travels for just 1-3 weeks would be totally fine as long as in the majority of the processing time I live in Canada, which I do (but traveling for > 1 month would be a problem). One of these 2 consultants said: "Inland application is not a prison - even prisoners can have parole! You are free to come and go. The risk of getting rejected is very low, especially if you leave and re-enter after you receive an OWP."

Last edited:

Psyer

Dec 21, 2017
Seriously, if all inland applicants are stuck in Canada for the 1 year or even longer time it takes to process, that sounds kinda irrational or even inhumane... I mean, I understand that the principle applicant must show they are living with the sponsor, but shit happens. What if the principle applicant has an emergency in their home country? How about Christmas travel?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They have no connections with Canada at all.

I have consulted about 5 immigration consultants (I believe that all of them are certified consultants). 3 of them advised against inland application. The other 2 said that short-term travels for just 1-3 weeks would be totally fine as long as in the majority of the processing time I live in Canada, which I do (but traveling for > 1 month would be a problem). One of these 2 consultants said: "Inland application is not a prison - even prisoners can have parole! You are free to come and go."
There is discretion when it comes to time away from Canada but you do have an option between inland and Outland. You are supposed to be living with your partner during the sponsorship time. If it was one 2-3 week trip I would say it is likely ok. The fact that you may want to do a second trip that is what could potentially push things over the edge. Nobody can guarantee what will happen. You take a risk the more time you spend outside Canada.

Reactions: Psyer

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seriously, if all inland applicants are stuck in Canada for the 1 year or even longer time it takes to process, that sounds kinda irrational or even inhumane... I mean, I understand that the principle applicant must show they are living with the sponsor, but shit happens. What if the principle applicant has an emergency in their home country? How about Christmas travel?
Inland option is a priviledge that many don’t have. Tons of couples have to do outland and be separately for up to a year and potentially longer. Canada is a huge country so people have an option to travel or to do activities. It isn’t a huge punishment. There are tons of people who never leave Canada or rarely leave. If people want to do a lot of travel they can for outland. Some will sacrifice a trip to see family for a holiday in order to live with their spouse.