+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Sponsorship

colste

Sep 3, 2018
With all the immigration law changes, I would really appreciate if someone could help me clarify:

1. Do you and your spouse has to live together, i.e. under the same roof, to qualify for sponsorship? Can you just be in the same city but two separate house?
2. If you and your spouse is separated, but not divorced, do you still qualify for sponsorship? If not, why not? I read through the Canadian immigration website, and it does specifically say that I can not do so. After all, we are legally still "married" but just separated.

Reactions: Miss bee

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
With all the immigration law changes, I would really appreciate if someone could help me clarify:

1. Do you and your spouse has to live together, i.e. under the same roof, to qualify for sponsorship? Can you just be in the same city but two separate house?
2. If you and your spouse is separated, but not divorced, do you still qualify for sponsorship? If not, why not? I read through the Canadian immigration website, and it does specifically say that I can not do so. After all, we are legally still "married" but just separated.
An inland sponsorship app requires you to be living with your spouse. You could apply outland but expect a refusal because of the living arrangment; genuine spouses generally don't live apart in the same city.

colste

Sep 3, 2018
An inland sponsorship app requires you to be living with your spouse. You could apply outland but expect a refusal because of the living arrangment; genuine spouses generally don't live apart in the same city.
Thanks canuck_in_uk.

Do you know where I can find references that indicates that living with your spouse is required with inland sponsorship? I couldn't find it within the Canadian Immigration Website.

Much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you certainly do not qualify for sponsorship in this case. Sponsoring when you are separated would be misrepresentation (lying about the state of your relationship for an immigration benefit). You'd be looking at a refusal and a five year ban from Canada for the applicant.

May 20, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
File Transfer...
29-08-2018
Med's Request
20-08-2018
Med's Done....
05-09-2018
Passport Req..
15-10-2018
No - you certainly do not qualify for sponsorship in this case. Sponsoring when you are separated would be misrepresentation (lying about the state of your relationship for an immigration benefit). You'd be looking at a refusal and a five year ban from Canada for the applicant.
This is a similar question. I applied as common law (outland) and my partner and I are currently living together, but I might enroll in a 6-month masters degree program in Italy while waiting for my application to be finalized and then return to live with my partner. Would I have any issues with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is a similar question. I applied as common law (outland) and my partner and I are currently living together, but I might enroll in a 6-month masters degree program in Italy while waiting for my application to be finalized and then return to live with my partner. Would I have any issues with this?
This scenario is very different because you are applying outland and also still in a real committed relationship. Provided you have already met the common law requirement and lived together for a full year continuously, this won't be a problem.

colste

Sep 3, 2018
Thanks scylla.

Do you know where I could find reference to what you are saying on the Canadian immigration website? I can't seem to find anything related to this on the IRCC website.

Much appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks scylla.

Do you know where I could find reference to what you are saying on the Canadian immigration website? I can't seem to find anything related to this on the IRCC website.

Much appreciated!
Inland sponsorship requires the couple to be physically living together. This is spelled out in IRCC rules.

I'll be honest - since you're asking about committing immigration fraud by applying for sponsorship when you've already separated - I'll let you go to the trouble of finding this info on the IRCC site.

anhcanada2702

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
Thanks scylla.

Much appreciated!
That is common sense of inland sponsorship. Meaning you HAVE TO LIVE IN A SAME HOUSE with your partner. Separate but still want to get sponsored?!? It sounds fishy to me.

Richie56

Star Member
May 6, 2019
Hello guys I got an email and they said I should submit the following documents
1.(IMM 5669 form
2.RPRF
3. A copy of a valid passport
I want to know what is next after I submitted the documents.