+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship on visitor visa?

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
I'm asking because my partner arrived at port of entry today and was interviewed by CBSA (and maybe an immigration officer? i'm not sure--and his english is decent but he gets easily flustered). I just know the first officer asked few questions (basically just ensuring he submitted info in arrivecan app, was holding pcr test, and had valid travel authorization).

After the brief first officer, he then was kept for another ~2 hours by the second officer to answer questions about our plans (which we openly detailed on the application for travel authorization): we want to get legally married here in Ontario, and then do an inland sponsorship. The second officer told my partner that he must leave in six months or "there will be problems with trying to sponsor." So are we to interpret this as saying that we cannot do inland sponsorship, and we should try for outland?

I thought we can apply for sponsorship while he's here on visitor visa, no? If we can, and do it, what happens if we don't hear back from IRCC before his six-month visitor visa expires? does he still leave, and the sponsorship continues (but how would that work... does it switch to an outland one?)

*nn*

Star Member
Mar 19, 2014
I believe you can sponsor him while on visa. I think the officer meant that he will have to leave in six months if he doesn't become PR by then. Not sure if the application would then be switched to outland.

Reactions: neuroCanadian

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can apply for extension before the 6 month is over. It's standard stay for 6 months. Read up about inland applications. Many people stay and keep extending their status. If you apply inland with OWP, hopefully you will get the open work permit before the 2nd extension.

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
Hi! This is similar on how I arrived to the country. I already wrote to your partner to share experience. But you will only need to apply for extensions as others have told you.