+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship - interview @ port of entry

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hello everyone

I have a question with regards to my common-law partner's sponsorship. I am a PR, landed in Canada a month ago (August) but had to leave after two weeks to go back to Scotland. Now, I want to take my common-law partner with me the next time around to Canada and apply inland under Spouse/common-law in Canada class.
She was the non-accompanying family member on my EE application.

I am a little concerned about the interview at the Canadian border after we land together in November. We will not be hiring a law firm to draft us a contract as a proof of my intention to apply for sponsorship. We would rather apply ourselves once we are in Canada. These are the questions on my mind at the moment:

1. Are we going to be interviewed together at the airport once we land in Canada? (I am a PR, she would be a visitor from a non-visa requiring country)
2. Would it help if I pay the initial fee for her sponsorship before she arrives to Canada with me as a proof of my and her intentions to apply? Or is it advisable to pay only after the inland application has been submitted?
3. What is the most convincing evidence to prove that we really want to apply INLAND (PR and OWP) and to secure at least 6 months worth of visitor visa and not to be turned away at the border?

Thanks

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Hello everyone

I have a question with regards to my common-law partner's sponsorship. I am a PR, landed in Canada a month ago (August) but had to leave after two weeks to go back to Scotland. Now, I want to take my common-law partner with me the next time around to Canada and apply inland under Spouse/common-law in Canada class.

I am a little concerned about the interview at the Canadian border after we land together in November. We will not be hiring a law firm to draft us a contract as a proof of my intention to apply for sponsorship. We would rather apply ourselves once we are in Canada. These are the questions on my mind at the moment:

1. Are we going to be interviewed together at the airport once we land in Canada? (I am a PR, she would be a visitor from a non-visa requiring country)
2. Would it help if I pay the initial fee for her sponsorship before she arrives to Canada with me as a proof of my and her intentions to apply? Or is it advisable to pay only after the inland application has been submitted?
3. What is the most convincing evidence to prove that we really want to apply INLAND (PR and OWP) and to secure at least 6 months worth of visitor visa and not to be turned away at the border?

Thanks
Hello, note that declaring at the boarder that you intend applying for sponsorship inland will automately render her inadmisable. Let your partner come in as à visitor and then apply. If you are worried about how long she will be allowed to stay, then start gathering documents now. She can also apply to extend her stay.
Common law relationships are hard to prove, but if you declared your partner on the application then you don't have to wait for one year before applying.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Hello, note that declaring at the boarder that you intend applying for sponsorship inland will automately render her inadmisable. Let your partner come in as à visitor and then apply. If you are worried about how long she will be allowed to stay, then start gathering documents now. She can also apply to extend her stay.
Common law relationships are hard to prove, but if you declared your partner on the application then you don't have to wait for one year before applying.
And you pay for fees when you are Ready to submit your applying. It's not necessary to pay in advance. It doesn't change anything.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Thank you. We will be flying on the same flight. We are booked in the same accommodation for couple of weeks since I dont have a permanent place. Given that I am already a PR and she doesnt have a status, isnt that going to look suspicious? Also, are we going to be interviewed together or separately?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And you pay for fees when you are Ready to submit your applying. It's not necessary to pay in advance. It doesn't change anything.
What are you on about??

Stating an intention to apply for sponsorship does NOT make a person inadmissible.

Common-law relationships are NOT hard to prove. It is no different than a married app except submitting the proof of cohabitation.

Paying the fees ahead of time can most certainly changes things. It shows CBSA that a couple is serious about applying for PR and that they are following the process to legally live in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone

Thanks
Hi

The key is to answer the questions but don't volunteer information. If the officer asks "Purpose of visit?", the answer is "Visiting my partner who is a PR.", not "Applying for PR." She should have a return ticket booked to show she is a true visitor; she can buy a fully refundable one way ticket. Only if the officer asks further questions should she provide more info. Also, she should never say that she is coming to live in Canada or moving to Canada; she does not yet have that right and is only entering as a visitor.

1. You can either go through the citizen/PR line while she goes through the visitor line or you can go with her through the visitor line.

2. Yes, you can pay the fees ahead of time. This is something you can show if further questioned to prove you are serious about applying.

3. There isn't really any specific "convincing evidence", as no one can say what the officer will ask, how your partner will answer, whether the officer will send her to secondary or just wave her on through.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She should also only bring enough luggage for a visitor. She is not allowed to move to Canada yet so can't bring all her belongings with her.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
She should also only bring enough luggage for a visitor. She is not allowed to move to Canada yet so can't bring all her belongings with her.
I don't really get this. There's no legal issue with moving belongings around, is there? As long as she makes it clear she'll leave if required to, the possessions you choose to bring should be irrelevant?

If you are asked to go to secondary do they routinely send someone to the luggage belt to bring your bags?

I'm going through this on Wednesday, arriving as visitor, applying inland spousal.

Shipping company is collecting our things from London this morning, but we will still have 4 bags between two of us on the flight.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hi

The key is to answer the questions but don't volunteer information. If the officer asks "Purpose of visit?", the answer is "Visiting my partner who is a PR.", not "Applying for PR." She should have a return ticket booked to show she is a true visitor; she can buy a fully refundable one way ticket. Only if the officer asks further questions should she provide more info. Also, she should never say that she is coming to live in Canada or moving to Canada; she does not yet have that right and is only entering as a visitor.

1. You can either go through the citizen/PR line while she goes through the visitor line or you can go with her through the visitor line.

2. Yes, you can pay the fees ahead of time. This is something you can show if further questioned to prove you are serious about applying.

3. There isn't really any specific "convincing evidence", as no one can say what the officer will ask, how your partner will answer, whether the officer will send her to secondary or just wave her on through.
Thank you very much for your answer. So if the officer asks further questions about her visiting me, she should start explaining that she wants to apply for PR and OWP? Also, what is more advisable? To go with her through the visitor line and help out during the questioning or let her deal with it on her own? Her english isnt that good.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
I don't really get this. There's no legal issue with moving belongings around, is there? As long as she makes it clear she'll leave if required to, the possessions you choose to bring should be irrelevant?

If you are asked to go to secondary do they routinely send someone to the luggage belt to bring your bags?

I'm going through this on Wednesday, arriving as visitor, applying inland spousal.

Shipping company is collecting our things from London this morning, but we will still have 4 bags between two of us on the flight.
What kind of evidence are you prepared to present to the officer? (return flight ticket, proving ties to home country, funds?)
Could we stay in touch? It would be of great help to know hot it all went down for you guys.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You are coming to Canada as a visitor. You don't have the right to live in Canada. Bringing all of your belongings signals to CBSA that you have no intention of leaving regardless. It's a good way to be refused entry and possibly issued an Exclusion Order.

Reactions: Haire Gabriela

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you very much for your answer. So if the officer asks further questions about her visiting me, she should start explaining that she wants to apply for PR and OWP? Also, what is more advisable? To go with her through the visitor line and help out during the questioning or let her deal with it on her own? Her english isnt that good.
She can just say she will be applying for sponsorship. If her English isn't good, you should probably go with her.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
What kind of evidence are you prepared to present to the officer? (return flight ticket, proving ties to home country, funds?)
Could we stay in touch? It would be of great help to know hot it all went down for you guys.
Yes for sure. I'll reply here on Wednesday evening (from my condo in Toronto hopefully!).
I'll tell them I'm visiting with my wife who has been offered a job here.
I hope it goes no further, but won't lie and will explain in secondary without fear.
I have funds in my account to last many months.
I have a return ticket for Christmas.
I have a letter from my wife offering full support and her contract of employment.
I have my soon to be submitted PR application.
I have a mortgage statement for my flat in London.
If they don't let me in then my wife and I will go back to living in London. I'm not going to move from my life in London to work in the Toronto black economy. If I can't convince them of this then I'll have to return!
I'll report back here either way.

Last edited:

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
She can just say she will be applying for sponsorship. If her English isn't good, you should probably go with her.
1. Is it acceptable to help answer questions on her behalf during the initial interview?
2. Also, I have only spent two weeks in Canada and dont have a permanent address yet. We will book something temporary and look for our own place in meantime. Is it a problem from the point of view of a CBSA officer?
3. How much money should my partner have in her account to prove that she can sustain herself for the time being as a visitor? Or should I step in and show my bank statements as her common-law partner?
4. We plan to leave Scotland altogether, abandoning our rental agreement, my partner leaving her job. How should my partner go about the "proving ties to your country" question when asked about it?

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Yes for sure. I'll reply here on Wednesday evening (from my condo in Toronto hopefully!).
I'll tell them I'm visiting with my wife who has been offered a job here.
I hope it goes no further, but won't lie and will explain in secondary without fear.
I have funds in my account to last many months.
I have a return ticket for Christmas.
I have a letter from my wife offering full support and her contract of employment.
I have my soon to be submitted PR application.
I have a mortgage statement for my flat in London.
If they don't let me in then my wife and I will go back to living in London. I don't want to be where I'm not welcome. I'm not going to move from my life in London to work in the Toronto black economy. If I can't convince them of this then I'll have to return.
I'll report back here either way!
Thanks. What is the advisable length of stay? I mean is it a good idea to buy a return ticket in 6 months time or to play it safe and rather go for 3-4 months instead?