+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Sponsoring a PGWP holder

sakay

Jul 21, 2013
Hi guys, just wondering what should I do? Her work permit is expiring soon. What happens when her work visa expire and we haven't filed the sponsorship yet. please, any tips? thank you.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
If you haven't filed before her work permit expires, then she should stop working at the end of her permit. Include an OWP with the application, and she can start working again after stage 1 ( 8 months from now) - that's for the working part.

You also need to make sure she stays with a legal status. Technically, you can still sponsor her while she is out of status, but do everything possible to avoid that - it will save you time.

So : if you can't file the application before her work permit expires (and can not be extended), then at least apply for a change of status from a working permit to a visitor visa. Explain that you are soon applying for PR, and include the proofs. If you can, pay already the application fee for the PR application and add that as a proof. She will have implied status and can legally stay in the country until she gets her visitor visa. Try and file the application soon, so if she gets the visitor visa, then she will have implied status continuing with the PR.

GOod luck,
Sweden

sakay

Jul 21, 2013
thanks for the reply sweden.

so if we dont apply for the OWP, she would only be able to work when she gets PR?

sakay

Jul 21, 2013
another question, is it okay to submit the police certificates a few weeks after we submit the sponsorship application because it will take a few more weeks to get it from the philippines?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
sakay said:
thanks for the reply sweden.

so if we dont apply for the OWP, she would only be able to work when she gets PR?
yes - but also, you don't get implied status. So just include an OWP application in your inland application.

sakay said:
another question, is it okay to submit the police certificates a few weeks after we submit the sponsorship application because it will take a few more weeks to get it from the philippines?
if that's the only thing missing in your application, then it might be OK. If you do send your application without the police certificate from the Philippines, make sure you include an explanation to show that you are aware that it is required, and that you are working on getting the police certificate. If you have any proofs of that (fees paid, request sent etc.) then include it as well, so CIC can see clearly that you have started the process and not just forgotten about it. Include in the letter that you will send it as soon as you get it back from the Philippines.

I had done that (needed Police Certificates from a few different countries and could not get them all in at the same time), and didn't have any problem, so it is a possibility. If it means that you will be able to send your application before the WP expires, then it is worth it I would think. (Of course it's CIC, there is no guarantee of anything, but you can try it that way, it has worked for others).

Just make sure that you include an OWP, because that's how she will get implied status and be able to keep on working - if her current work permit is extendable.

Sweden

sakay

Jul 21, 2013
Hi sweden, thanks for the reply. you have been really helpful

I have told this to my wife and she says that post graduate work permits are already "open". she is also self employed. We re not sure on what to do

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sakay said:
Hi sweden, thanks for the reply. you have been really helpful

I have told this to my wife and she says that post graduate work permits are already "open". she is also self employed. We re not sure on what to do
Your wife has a Post Gradue Work Permit. This is not the same thing as an Open Work Permit. You will be applying for an Open Work Permit along with the sponsorship application. Follow the instructions Sweden has given you.