+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Revenue...

Feb 24, 2009
Hi all,

I am currently in Belfast, Northern Ireland waiting on London processing my permanent residence application under family class (my wife is Canadian and her sponsorship was approved and sent to London on the 11th February 2009) - London started processing it on March 2nd so it's early days for me.

Does anyone know if I have to inform the Inland Revenue (in the UK) if and when I move to Toronto?

And, do I have to inform Revenue Canada?

An accountant friend told me that they both Revenues 'communicate' directly and keep each other informed - is this the case?

Also, when I am in Toronto I will, hopefully, be doing work for some Northern Ireland clients (I'm a designer).

As that income is generated outside of Canada - who do I pay taxes too - Canada or UK?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Patrick

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Patrick McCormick said:
Hi all,

I am currently in Belfast, Northern Ireland waiting on London processing my permanent residence application under family class (my wife is Canadian and her sponsorship was approved and sent to London on the 11th February 2009) - London started processing it on March 2nd so it's early days for me.

Does anyone know if I have to inform the Inland Revenue (in the UK) if and when I move to Toronto?

And, do I have to inform Revenue Canada?

An accountant friend told me that they both Revenues 'communicate' directly and keep each other informed - is this the case?

Also, when I am in Toronto I will, hopefully, be doing work for some Northern Ireland clients (I'm a designer).

As that income is generated outside of Canada - who do I pay taxes too - Canada or UK?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Patrick
1. Inform your local Tax Office and ask for a form P85 and leaflet IR138. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/faq/faqgoing-abroad.shtml
2. You will pay taxes on your UK income in the UK and you declare it on your Canadian taxes, as their is a tax treaty between UK and Canada, the taxes you pay in the UK are used as deduction on your Canadian taxes so you don't pay the taxes twice. You need probably need a tax accountant to do your taxes for the FIRST taxation year in Canada especially if the two tax years overlap.

PMM