+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Inland) Proof of Cohabitation Before Application?

alvero

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
I am doing research for a Spousal Visa for my wife, which I got married to recently, overseas. We are currently not living together, and never have lived together, apart from us staying at eachother's place when I/she visited me/her. We are deciding between an Inland and Outland application.

The following criteria is used when assessing evidence of a relationship, apart from wedding photos and the such, according to the CIC.

Assessing the relationship between spouses or common-law partners
a sponsor and principal applicant are expected to provide items from at least two of the following sets of documents. If they are unable to provide documents from a minimum of two of the following sets of documents, a detailed written explanation must be provided:
  • proof of joint ownership of residential property.
  • rental agreement showing both the sponsor and principal applicant as occupants of a rental property
  • proof of joint utility accounts (e.g. electricity, gas, telephone, internet), joint credit card accounts, or joint bank accounts
  • vehicle insurance showing that both the principal applicant and sponsor have been declared to the insurance company as residents of the insured’s address
  • copies of government issued documents for the principal applicant and sponsor showing the same address (e.g.: driver’s licenses)
  • other documents issued to the principal applicant and sponsor showing the same address, whether the accounts are held jointly or not (e.g. cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit card statements, insurance policies)
Question 1: If we apply outland, are we supposed to present proof of this type? Since we haven't had the chance to live together yet, I assume proof of cohabitation would not be required. Only a marriage certificate, and other relationship proof (photos, messages, etc).

Question 2: If we apply inland (including OWP application), do we submit proof of cohabitation with the application, or after the application?
  • With the application: She is limited to many things on a TRV, such as having a bank account, Ontario ID, or any official documentation proving that she lives with me. Getting these types of documents would be difficult. We would also be living at my parent's address, so I couldn't put her on the household title/lease. So, she should come to Canada as a visitor for a couple months and try to generate some of these documents What documents can we get to prove cohabitation?

• After the application: The above still applies. If she is approved for an OWP, I assume she can then have a bank account, a job, pay bills, etc. Which would be more sufficient proof.
If I am right about Question 1, outland seems much less of a headache because you don't have to prove cohabitation, especially since she has the luxury of visiting me whenever she wants during the PR application.

Last edited:

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
There is a question that asks “are you living together” on the app. Even if outland and she is in canada you have to answer yes and have to be able to provide proof. We did this and had us on the lease, had him on our rogers bill, added him to my house insurance policy and he got an ontario id card. There are ways around it. He did get a bank account with cibc with using his TRV.

As a side note - she can visit with a TRV, however it is up to the border agent if they allow her entry if she is able to convince them. I wouldnt think so freely of it that she can come and go as she pleases with it, as she could be turned away at any point... not sure where she is from, but its not a document that grants entry whenever.

alvero

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
Even if outland and she is in canada you have to answer yes and have to be able to provide proof.
1 question, 1 comment:

Question: Did you do all of that (put him on the bills, got him an id card, etc.) before you applied for the PR and sent it along with the app? How long did it take for all these document changes and applying for bank accounts? What kind of ID was it?

Comment: She would be in her home country when she submits her application, through a VFS office. She wouldn't officially be living with me until she gets her PR. She would still be obliged to return to her homeland to do any medical exams/biometrics if she were in Canada. But she could visit me during the outland application process if she wants. By applying outland, we would like to expedite the PR process and enjoy the luxury of a TRV if we need it (probably will). So I don't think we would need to still put "yes".

Besides, I think it's redundant to go and meaninglessly put her name on insurance policies and bank accounts just so we can "prove" something. She doesn't need to do any of that until we officially settle down in Canada and take things step by step, when and where it makes sense. That's my concern here.

What do you think of my reasoning?

As a side note - she can visit with a TRV, however it is up to the border agent if they allow her entry if she is able to convince them. I wouldnt think so freely of it that she can come and go as she pleases with it, as she could be turned away at any point... not sure where she is from, but its not a document that grants entry whenever.
This is true, but so far so good.

Last edited:

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
1 question, 1 comment:

Question: Did you do all of that (put him on the bills, got him an id card, etc.) before you applied for the PR and sent it along with the app? How long did it take for all these document changes and applying for bank accounts? What kind of ID was it?

Comment: She would be in her home country when she submits her application, through a VFS office. She wouldn't officially be living with me until she gets her PR. She would still be obliged to return to her homeland to do any medical exams/biometrics if she were in Canada. But she could visit me during the outland application process if she wants. By applying outland, we would like to expedite the PR process and enjoy the luxury of a TRV if we need it (probably will). So I don't think we would need to still put "yes".

Besides, I think it's redundant to go and meaninglessly put her name on insurance policies and bank accounts just so we can "prove" something. She doesn't need to do any of that until we officially settle down in Canada and take things step by step, when and where it makes sense. That's my concern here.

What do you think of my reasoning?

This is true, but so far so good.
If she will be in her country obviously the answer would be no and there would be no need to add her to all that right now. I added him to everything before the app as we needed this information to be able to send it. It took 45 seconds to have him on my stuff and print it. We dont have joint accounts. He has his own and i my own. He showed his passport with TRV in it at the bank and got an account

As an fyi outland and inland are taking about the same amount of time. Not sure where she is but some VOs are taking much more than a year outland. My gf applied inland in feb and was approved in august. Just saying! No one way is definitely much faster. Good luck

alvero

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
If she will be in her country obviously the answer would be no and there would be no need to add her to all that right now. I added him to everything before the app as we needed this information to be able to send it. It took 45 seconds to have him on my stuff and print it. We dont have joint accounts. He has his own and i my own. He showed his passport with TRV in it at the bank and got an account

As an fyi outland and inland are taking about the same amount of time. Not sure where she is but some VOs are taking much more than a year outland. My gf applied inland in feb and was approved in august. Just saying! No one way is definitely much faster. Good luck
Thanks for getting back to me. We’ll try CIBC too. Also quick question: Since he was living with you, where did he have to do is medical exams and stuff? Why didn’t you guys just opt for inland? Or was he just in Canada during the time you applied and he went back home?

And you’re right that the amount of time may take the same, its just that more often than not I have read people
getting their outland processed quicker than those with inland, but it always depends. I am still weighing the options though.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
He has a child and aging parents. I wanted him to be able to travel with no implications to the app should he be turned away.

He did his medical upfront (back then you could)

Reactions: alvero