+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland PR - visa and visitor status questions

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
My wife is currently in Canada on extended-stay after we applied for spouse/common-law sponsorship PR. The PR application has been progressing along and we just want to prepare in case if things takes longer than anticipated.

Her original visitor visa to Canada and her passport will expire at the end of this year. The visitor status extension will expire in April.

We're looking on extending her visitor status and the questions are:

1. How close to the passport expiry date can she apply the extension for? Does she needs at least 6 months of validity left on her passport when applying for visa extension or can she ask for extension to say 2 months before her passport and original visa expire?
  2. Can she request for a visitor status extension exceeding the expiry date of her visitor visa while the PR is in the work (will implied status cover this)?
  3. If she were to get a new passport and must reapply for a new visitor visa, can this be one from within Canada? She can't leave while her PR is in progress.
  4. It would make sense that after renewing the passport we should we also update IRCC with the new passport number to update her files (PR, visa extension) via the webform. Anything else we need to update?
  5. Are we looking at these steps the right way (too complex or too simple)? Did we overlooked anything?

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife is currently in Canada on extended-stay after we applied for spouse/common-law sponsorship PR. The PR application has been progressing along and we just want to prepare in case if things takes longer than anticipated.

Her original visitor visa to Canada and her passport will expire at the end of this year. The visitor status extension will expire in April.

We're looking on extending her visitor status and the questions are:

1. How close to the passport expiry date can she apply the extension for? Does she needs at least 6 months of validity left on her passport when applying for visa extension or can she ask for extension to say 2 months before her passport and original visa expire?
  2. Can she request for a visitor status extension exceeding the expiry date of her visitor visa while the PR is in the work (will implied status cover this)?
  3. If she were to get a new passport and must reapply for a new visitor visa, can this be one from within Canada? She can't leave while her PR is in progress.
  4. It would make sense that after renewing the passport we should we also update IRCC with the new passport number to update her files (PR, visa extension) via the webform. Anything else we need to update?
  5. Are we looking at these steps the right way (too complex or too simple)? Did we overlooked anything?

Thanks in advance!
Your title says inland. To clarify, did you apply inland or outland? If inland, did you include an OWP app?

1. There is no minimum passport validity required but there is zero point in applying for an extension 2 months before her passport expires. Status cannot be granted beyond passport expiry.

2. The validity of the TRV is irrelevant to her status on Canada.

3. Yes, she can apply to extend her stay in Canada once she has her new passport.

4. Not sure what you are asking.

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
It's for inland applicaiton and she didn't apply for OWP. Apologies for not being clear and appreciate your quick response.

1. We want to ask for an extension up to 2 months before her pp expire. Hopefully, the PR will be done by then and if not then 2 months is ample for her to apply for a new pp and get a visitor visa. The consulate only need a week to renew the pp.

4. If she had to renew her pp and reapply for visitor visa must we update this on her PR application because it still contain the old PP and Visa info? Anything else we should update?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's for inland applicaiton and she didn't apply for OWP. Apologies for not being clear and appreciate your quick response.

1. We want to ask for an extension up to 2 months before her pp expire. Hopefully, the PR will be done by then and if not then 2 months is ample for her to apply for a new pp and get a visitor visa. The consulate only need a week to renew the pp.

4. If she had to renew her pp and reapply for visitor visa must we update this on her PR application because it still contain the old PP and Visa info? Anything else we should update?
Skip the visitor app and just submit an OWP app.

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
Would you suggest that we renew her pp first then renew the visitor visa before expiry before applying for OWP? Does that makes sense?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Would you suggest that we renew her pp first then renew the visitor visa before expiry before applying for OWP? Does that makes sense?
If "The consulate only need a week to renew the pp."

Then I think you should renew the pp before applying for OWP. If you haven't heard back from the OWP application before her current visitor status expires in April, then apply for visitor status extension then.

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
That's an excellent point. Something just came to mind, if renewing the pp then it will void the old pp. Will it also automatically void the visa?

jb9419

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
if you dont mind me asking, how did you get your visitor visa approved? please tell me thanks!!

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
Sorry, I don't understand the question. There are requirements to be met and if you do then you may be granted the visa.

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
I don't recall doing anything different. We simply provided all required items as requested and then weeks later my wife got the visa.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
I am also on visitor status at the moment. I applied for a 6 month visitor visa around October 8th at the same time I applied for PR and OWP. It was granted just over 3 months later. On the application I stated outright that I wanted to be on some form of a more official status in the country, while I wait for a decision on my PR with OWP application. Apparently visitor visas aren't looked into as quickly in this scenario, probably why it took 3 months rather than the 'within a month' timeline I read about. Got it in the end, though by now it probably won't be long before I get my OWP :)

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
Is it the Visa extension that took 3 months but not the OWP? If this is the case then it's probably best we proceed with visitor visa extension since it will expire then.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As I said, the TRV is irrelevant. If you are referring to visitor status, she doesn't need to apply for an extension if she applies for the OWP.

I would suggest just applying for the OWP now. The inland app will likely be done before the end of the year. If it isn't, she can get a new passport and apply for an extension before the OWP expires.

stjacques

Jan 16, 2019
As I said, the TRV is irrelevant. If you are referring to visitor status, she doesn't need to apply for an extension if she applies for the OWP.

I would suggest just applying for the OWP now. The inland app will likely be done before the end of the year. If it isn't, she can get a new passport and apply for an extension before the OWP expires.
I would very much love to do this and wished I had her apply for OWP from the get go but her visitor status will expire in April. I am worried about if the OWP application takes a while and it's also possible that she may be denied OWP but by that time she has either passed the 30 day minimum required to extend her visitor status or her status has expired then it would be problematic or am I missing the point?