+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland PR Meidcal mistake in CIC guide?

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

I've been compiling my inland application for permanent residence sponsored by my common-law partner and I'm slightly confused by the guidance given by the CIC on when I should be taking my medical.

In the CIC guide 'Applying for Permanent Residence from Within Canada - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class' it clearly states on page 15 under the heading 'Instructions':
"Information on medical instructions will be provided to you. When you receive your assessment notice you will also receive medical forms for yourself" and that "You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

This seems like a common sense approach to me as the first stage of approval can take so long that a medical taken before your application may be invalid by the time they get to evaluating it during the second stage.

However, the guide directly contradicts itself on page 56 under the heading 'Forms':
"Before submitting your application, attach all of the forms.....including proof of the medical examination"

The document checklist (IMM 5443) also mentions including Proof of Medical Examination.

So which is it to be? I called the CIC call centre to clarify and the person I spoke to agreed that a medical examination prior to making an application was unnecessary but they didn't seem that confident in the answer and I had to lead them to areas in the Guide to clarify.
I've had a search around on the forums here and can't find anyone who mentions this, in fact most advice on here would suggest that you should submit proof of your medical with your initial application.

Has the system maybe changed recently? Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From Guide 5289 : (
( There is no color code as shown here )

Applying for permanent residence from within Canada: Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (IMM 5289)

Step 1. Gather all documents

What documents are required?

The table below outlines the documents that you need to include with your application. You must also use the Document Checklist included at the end of the form (IMM 5443) to assist you in gathering the necessary documentation.

Required Step

If any of the required documents are missing, or photocopies are not clear, your application will be returned to you.

Important information

Failure to submit the required documents will result delays in the processing of your application.

#6 Medical examinations Medical examinations are required for the principal applicant and all of his or her dependent children.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
why dont u ask in the 2011 inlad thread as they would have just did the same forms like u

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-application-2011-t67267.600.html

they are also discussing the medical apparently its up to the applicant but go and read more and get answers from others in the same boat

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
Thank's Wilson,

However, that point (No. 6) I that you referenced from the guide if quoted in full reads:

"Medical examinations are required for the principal applicant and all of his or her dependent children.
See: "Medical Instructions" in this section."

These "Medical Instructions" are the ones that I quoted in my original post (page 15) and read:
"You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

The guide seemd to contradict itself in places and also the document checklist so I was just asking if anybody
had any first hand experience either way

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have the choice with an inland application of doing the medical and submitting the receipts with the application or waiting until it is requested. It's not advisable to wait as it can delay AIP and/or PR by a few months.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RPJ said:
Thank's Wilson,

However, that point (No. 6) I that you referenced from the guide if quoted in full reads:

"Medical examinations are required for the principal applicant and all of his or her dependent children.
See: "Medical Instructions" in this section."

These "Medical Instructions" are the ones that I quoted in my original post (page 15) and read:
"You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

The guide seemd to contradict itself in places and also the document checklist so I was just asking if anybody
had any first hand experience either way
Hi rpj, I agree with you.
I remember some discussions in the past months about few other conflicting or contradicting instructions in CIC forms which creates confusion in applicants. Perhaps it could be due to improper editing of the publication by the responsible people.