+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland PR Meidcal mistake in CIC guide?

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

I've been compiling my inland application for permanent residence sponsored by my common-law partner and I'm slightly confused by the guidance given by the CIC on when I should be taking my medical.

In the CIC guide 'Applying for Permanent Residence from Within Canada - Spouse or Common Law Partner In Canada Class' it clearly states on page 15 under the heading 'Instructions':
"Information on medical instructions will be provided to you. When you receive your assessment notice you will also receive medical forms for yourself" and that "You are not required to have a medical examination before you submit your application forms"

This seems like a common sense approach to me as the first stage of approval can take so long that a medical taken before your application may be invalid by the time they get to evaluating it during the second stage.

However, the guide directly contradicts itself on page 56 under the heading 'Forms':
"Before submitting your application, attach all of the forms.....including proof of the medical examination"

The document checklist (IMM 5443) also mentions including Proof of Medical Examination.

So which is it to be? I called the CIC call centre to clarify and the person I spoke to agreed that a medical examination prior to making an application was unnecessary but they didn't seem that confident in the answer and I had to lead them to areas in the Guide to clarify.
I've had a search around on the forums here and can't find anyone who mentions this, in fact most advice on here would suggest that you should submit proof of your medical with your initial application.

Has the system maybe changed recently? Does anyone have any recent experience with this?