+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland PR and OWP applicant - Can I study?

MrsSMS

Oct 17, 2018
Hello all,

I want to request some info from this forum (have posed this question in the spousal thread also) but in need of urgent advice: I have spoken to my immigration consultant but he said ‘it isn’t possible...’

Background:
I am in Canada awaiting a decision on my inland PR application as the spouse of a canadian (applied 23rd May 2019). My AOP followed by my OWP has come through last week (Sept 2019).

I was working as a registered laboratory technologist in my home country - UK and want to work in the same profession in Canada. To do so I am required to undergo an assessment of work exp and education documentation to have my professional equivalency determined to canadian standards.

This initial assessment does not involve any exams; it only requires me to send my documents (certificates, training records to the organization to be assessed). If it is determined that I need to do refresher course(s) to gain equivalence, I’d have a two year window only to complete a designated learning plan and sit the competency exam.

I am looking at possibly being given a LP in December 2019 valid till December 2021 (courses need to be completed in a two year window).

Most of the refresher courses are via online distance learning (i.e. no formal classes) but they vary in duration, some <6 months some are greater.

This assessment is costly, although I have brought along all my paperwork with me - a time consuming process in itself - and required experience letters. I guess I want to know where I stand with my profession in Canada. I may be told to undergo a full course or a short refresher course.

Question:
1) if I need to take refresher courses, can I legally do so given my situation? How would it work? What do I need to have in place prior to undertaking any study? A study permit? Will that cancel my OWP? Can a study permit and OWP be held together at the same time? I would like to work whilst studying also.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: