+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or Outland?

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Good day all,

I have been researching and gathering information on the pros and cons of both inland and outland PR applications, but I would like to hear some personal perspectives on which option is best for my situation. Here's my background:

I am a US citizen residing in Canada with my Canadian spouse since 2018, holding a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) and an Open Work Permit (OWP). The TRP and OWP are set to expire in December 2023. After applying for criminal rehabilitation in Feb. 2020, I finally received the criminal rehab approval letter. I have two leisure trips planned, one for a week in May and another for three weeks in September, with my port of entry back into Canada being Toronto Pearson airport.

Considering my established residency in Canada since 2018, I don't think it's likely that I'll be denied entry by CBSA officer at the port of entry as I will have a PR application (whether inland or outland) in progress and I'm no longer considered inadmissible to Canada due to my criminal rehabilitation approval.

Here are my questions:
1. In light of my circumstances, is it better to apply for PR through the inland or outland process?
2. If I'm returning to Canada in September 2023, does this mean my legal status will be extended until March 2024? If not, and my TRP/OWP expires in December 2023, I assume that I will need to apply for a visitor record instead of a TRP?
3. Does the criminal rehabilitation approval letter nullify my current TRP/OWP?