+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or outland, which is better? American Married to Canadian Citizen.

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
Since I will be "visiting" Canada with my boyfriend(Born canadian citizen) We plan to get married within the time of my visit. Once that takes place, and we start getting everything ready for the spousal application and sending it off, I know I should apply to extend my visitor visa. Since I am american I don't need any other type of visa to visit.
Is it better to apply inland or outland when staying in canada? I also heard something about if I apply inland. Though it takes longer to get PR I could apply for an open work permit. Any info on this?
and let's say from the day we send off the application to the day everything is finalized it takes 12 months. Would I get an open work visa while everything is being finalized? Or would he have to support me completely for those 12 months?
I do have money saved. But I don't know if it will last 12 months. So since I can not work. I'm a little confused.

An open work visa would be ideal for the time I am waiting to get PR.

Anyone have similar experience or advice/help?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
McMcR said:
Since I will be "visiting" Canada with my boyfriend(Born canadian citizen) We plan to get married within the time of my visit. Once that takes place, and we start getting everything ready for the spousal application and sending it off, I know I should apply to extend my visitor visa. Since I am american I don't need any other type of visa to visit.
Is it better to apply inland or outland when staying in canada? I also heard something about if I apply inland. Though it takes longer to get PR I could apply for an open work permit. Any info on this?
and let's say from the day we send off the application to the day everything is finalized it takes 12 months. Would I get an open work visa while everything is being finalized? Or would he have to support me completely for those 12 months?
I do have money saved. But I don't know if it will last 12 months. So since I can not work. I'm a little confused.

An open work visa would be ideal for the time I am waiting to get PR.

Anyone have similar experience or advice/help?
It is extremely pointless as an American to apply inland. The first stage for Inland is 11 months. The ENTIRE process for outland can take 11 months. So with inland, you will still be twiddling your thumbs for 11 months whereas for outland, you will have landed and be working etc after 11 months. The only positive about inland is that you can get a work permit after 11 months. Either way your husband will have to support you for 11 months.

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
So then even if I am in Canada when we apply. I can apply for outland correct? Just if they request an interview I have to fly to whereever the interview is?

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
McMcR said:
So then even if I am in Canada when we apply. I can apply for outland correct? Just if they request an interview I have to fly to whereever the interview is?
Correct. Interviews are rare for US/Canadian couples, though.

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
Okay then we shall be applying outland then.

At which time do I send it the FBI background info and fingerprints.
and when do I do the medical exam. Is that after sponsorship is accept?(step one)

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
your application should be submitted complete... medical and FBI with it.... your FBI is only good for 3 months so don't send it in to early. and if you do the medical in Canada make sure you get the right papers to take to the doctor they tend to automatically give out the with-in Canada forms...

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
Alright awesome thank you.

I think I found the link to print out the appendix c i believe its called.

Can i do the FBI one while in canada. Like get my fingerprints done here before i leave? Because I wont have any idea where to get that all done once I am there.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
sure you could get the card done, I believe they are good for 6 months, check with your state tho make sure they still do inked prints for the FBI I've read alot that some states only do the electronic filing... but even once in Canada all you need is the fingerprint card printable online, and the police station to print you, mail it and wait! GL!

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
Oh. So I can wait to get my prints until I am there. I didn't know that.

Thank you so much for the info!

Do you know if the FBI clearance needs to be submitted when applying while living in Quebec?

I read on the website but it only mentioned the Medical Exam. Nothing about the FBI clearance.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
McMcR said:
Oh. So I can wait to get my prints until I am there. I didn't know that.

Do you know if the FBI clearance needs to be submitted when applying while living in Quebec?

I read on the website but it only mentioned the Medical Exam. Nothing about the FBI clearance.
Yes, it does. You will also need a CSQ in case you didn't know about that :) That, you would need after you get first stage approval though.

Reactions: Gur24

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
That is the extra form we would have to fill out right? With the basic questions.

I for some reason thought that was sent first. But if its send after first stage approval then great.

The more info I am getting the less stressed I am about the whole ordeal. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
McMcR said:
That is the extra form we would have to fill out right? With the basic questions.

I for some reason thought that was sent first. But if its send after first stage approval then great.

The more info I am getting the less stressed I am about the whole ordeal. THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Ok so Parker24 message me as you are planning on residing in quebec!!! I am going to list a bunch of suggestions and facts from there let me know if you have more questions :)

1- Definately Outland...the first part is currently less than 3 months so that's better than 11!!
2- Medicals...Do them in quebec but make sure they have the right forks...its way cheaper ( we did it in the states 420$$$$!!!)
3- FBI just go to your local police office and get the card printed it takes 6-8 weeks to obtain it so make sure to plan for it to add to you application before you send it off... do not use a channeler take the time to get it directly through the FBI
4-Pictures for medical/file take 8 ( they are really tiny not passport)
5- Once you send it off make sure to track with signature
6- Once you get approved for sponsorship then you send off the CSQ...in no way shape or form does this add delay to your file...but you do have to plan an extra 260$ for the government of quebec to approved what Canada just did ( rip off)
7- We are hearing more and more at the border that once you obtain the CSQ that you can go to the border with a valid job offer and the original CSQ in hand and you will get an open work permit ( that is what border agent said) and i have 2 cases that confirm this I'm just too chicken to try it( so this could be good news for you)
8- LACOLLE and Philipsburg border have been tested by philipsburg (we were just married 2 1/2 hrs) Lacolle 45mins...if one of you speaks french use it to your advantage....this is what was requested: marriage certificate, bank statements, medical insurance and the second time i had the CSQ and Sponsorship approval.... At this point i would just say you are coming to visit...i'm done being honest and saying 6months or 4 months because in the building you go!

We applied March 5th were approved May 30th obtained CSQ July 13 ( after 2 weeks) and are now in process as of August 24th...Hope this helps...let me know!

McMcR

Jul 24, 2012
I do have a few questions.

What exactly do the medical photos have to be? Just pictures of myself?!

When you talk about taking the CSQ and valid job offer to the border..Does this also mean when I fly into Canada. Because I will be flying into Ontario. Since we will be living 10 minutes outside of Ottawa on the quebec side.

There is possible talk about us moving to the ontario side. Since that is where my SO will be attending college. So hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't have to go through everything with Quebec.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
McMcR said:
I do have a few questions.

What exactly do the medical photos have to be? Just pictures of myself?!

When you talk about taking the CSQ and valid job offer to the border..Does this also mean when I fly into Canada. Because I will be flying into Ontario. Since we will be living 10 minutes outside of Ottawa on the quebec side.

There is possible talk about us moving to the ontario side. Since that is where my SO will be attending college. So hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't have to go through everything with Quebec.
You have the Picture sizes in the guide. That little square is the picture size (they need to write that this is the actual size) yes it's 8 pictures of the applicant. The CSQ is valid only in quebec only so if you choose to live in ontario you do not need a CSQ and therefore you can pass through any border and save 260$ if you decide to choose quebec and want to try the job offer route you will need to pass through a quebec border. ( As I said before my lawyers could not confirm this but we have proof of 3 cases)