+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*Inland* how long must we be physically living together before we apply ?

chaybani

Jun 19, 2021
Hello everyone

So me (Canadian PR) and my wife (US Citizen) are almost done gathering documentation for a spousal sponsorship but not sure if we like the Outland process (Takes way too long and we don't want to be living separated for longer). So we have a few questions about inland applications.

1- So my wife wants to move here as a visitor in the next few months and we can live together in the apartment that I rent, how long must we be living together before we can apply for Inland sponsorship? is there a minimum time or can we just go on with it after about a month of her living with me ? (We can easily get the rental agreement with both our names, we already have a Canadian joined bank account) and mutual insurance documentation (she also is the main beneficiary of my life insurance). Or do we need to live together for much longer?

2-Since my wife doesn't need a visitor visa to re-enter, can she leave Canada for a few days to see her family in the US at some point and get back to Canada without issues ?

3-To apply for an OWP, does that go with the initial PR application or is it only something we can do later? I mean is it processed as soon as they get the PR application or she can only apply for it after a certain time ?

For additional information, me and my wife have been in a relationship for 5 years, got married last August 2021, we visited each other a bunch of times during our relationship and have ample proof to support the legitimacy of our relationship. But we never really lived together as we have full time jobs in different countries that dont give too much in vacation time.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thank you very much for the answers

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So me (Canadian PR) and my wife (US Citizen) are almost done gathering documentation for a spousal sponsorship but not sure if we like the Outland process (Takes way too long and we don't want to be living separated for longer). So we have a few questions about inland applications.
Just to note that doing this 'outland' does not necessarily mean living apart, the outland applicant can more or less do what they want (if allowed in the country etc). The couple must live together to apply inland. The main remaining difference is that only inland applicants qualify for the open work permit - which given processing times may not be a large one.

1- So my wife wants to move here as a visitor in the next few months and we can live together in the apartment that I rent, how long must we be living together before we can apply for Inland sponsorship? is there a minimum time or can we just go on with it after about a month of her living with me ? (We can easily get the rental agreement with both our names, we already have a Canadian joined bank account) and mutual insurance documentation (she also is the main beneficiary of my life insurance). Or do we need to live together for much longer?
Main thing is some documentation, you can include a note that she just arrived but intends to stay.

2-Since my wife doesn't need a visitor visa to re-enter, can she leave Canada for a few days to see her family in the US at some point and get back to Canada without issues ?
There is technically no guarantee of re-entry but it seems most that do short trips don't have a problem.

3-To apply for an OWP, does that go with the initial PR application or is it only something we can do later? I mean is it processed as soon as they get the PR application or she can only apply for it after a certain time ?
If she applies by paper (not online), it can be included. Since it doesn't seem to be any faster to do online (it's a pilot program), perhaps go with that, becuase it's also a bit tedious to manage when the OWP can be submitted (answer is once AOR is received).

The OWP is supposed to be issued when the 'eligiblity' decision is made. Timeframes not really possible at this point.

For additional information, me and my wife have been in a relationship for 5 years, got married last August 2021, we visited each other a bunch of times during our relationship and have ample proof to support the legitimacy of our relationship. But we never really lived together as we have full time jobs in different countries that dont give too much in vacation time.
Since that is the case, should be a relatively straightforward app. You might take a look at the trackers, USA apps generally move somewhat more quickly (infosharing for criminal police natsec and immigraton stuff is extensive). How long is not knowable in advnace.

I say that not as a guarantee but to take into account. It is possible for you both that it may make sense to submit as outland ASAP instead of counting on the work permit being available. (That is you'd gain more time together with work rights [as PR] by submitting sooner instead of waiting until she arrives.)

Note: in both cases, when she comes to Canada, she should not arrive with all worldly possessions, otherwise the intent to stay and not be a visitor would be too clear.

She can still tell the truth - husband in Canada, considering PR app 'in due course' - or even that in process but just visiting while the app is processed - but moving irrevocably may get CBSA to look harder and cause problems.