+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Inland) Common-Law Sponsorship Documentary Evidence

Yungyyyy

Jul 15, 2022
My common-law partner and I are completing the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form (IMM 5409e) for the Open Work Permit application. We only have a joint bank account.

What other documentary evidence can we provide to indicate our relationship as common-law partners? Our internet bill is in my partner's name, but I make the payments. I can show my bank statements. I also have receipts for gas, flights, accommodations, etc. Would they consider social media posts, wedding invites, etc.?

Thanks for any clarification on this!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My common-law partner and I are completing the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form (IMM 5409e) for the Open Work Permit application. We only have a joint bank account.

What other documentary evidence can we provide to indicate our relationship as common-law partners? Our internet bill is in my partner's name, but I make the payments. I can show my bank statements. I also have receipts for gas, flights, accommodations, etc. Would they consider social media posts, wedding invites, etc.?

The last items you mentioned don't prove common law. What you want is evidence that dates back at least one full year and which proves you had a joint address for at least one year continuously.

I assume the joint bank account was set up at least a year ago?

What about a joint lease or affidavit from your landlord stating you have lived together there continuously for one full year?

Any insurance documentation where you put each other as beneficiaries?

What about tax returns filed as common law partners?

Also, just to make sure you're aware, you can't apply for the OWP application ahead of the common law sponsorship application (has to be done either together with the sponsorship application or after). The common law sponsorship application will also require this kind of evidence and you want to have more than just one bank account.

Yungyyyy

Jul 15, 2022
Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, we are only now setting up the joint bank account. The form doesn't say the joint account needed to be a year old.

My partner owns the apartment we live in.

I have insurance from my home country, but not in Canada since I'm on a visitor visa. I wouldn't have any reason to file taxes in Canada. I also can't get any bills in my name because I don't have a SIN number.

Yes, I am applying for a common law sponsorship application simultaneously. I already applied for permanent residency as a skilled worker early last year, but that's taking forever.

Do we have any options for documentary evidence?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, we are only now setting up the joint bank account. The form doesn't say the joint account needed to be a year old.

I have insurance from my home country, but not in Canada since I'm on a visitor visa. I wouldn't have any reason to file taxes in Canada. I also can't get any bills in my name because I don't have a SIN number.

Yes, I am applying for a common law sponsorship application simultaneously. I already applied for permanent residency as a skilled worker early last year, but that's taking forever.

You need to provide evidence that proves you have a year of continuous cohabitation. This means the evidence you provide needs to show that you have been living at the same address continuously for at least one full year. This is why the joint bank account statement needs to date back at least one year (as does the other evidence).

Do you really have no other evidence? The evidence to prove common law is absolutely critical and your application is going to be 100% dependent on this. If you don't have stuff that dates back a full year and proves a common address, you need to seriously consider holding off applying - or consider getting married and applying as a married couple (then you don't need to provide the cohabitation evidence).

It's really truly extremely critical that you have multiple pieces of evidence that show a common address and that date back at least one full year.

Reactions: armoured

Stylography

Jan 25, 2023

To prove your relationship as partners in civil law, you can provide a variety of documentary evidence. For example, you can provide joint rental agreements, tax returns, joint insurance, and so on. I just recently studied documentary evidence, used https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/documentary/ for this. It is important that you provide all available documents that prove your relationship as civil law partners in order to ensure the success of your application. Receipts for general expenses such as gas, flights, and lodging may also be helpful. However, you should make sure that they contain the name of both partners to prove their joint participation in these costs.
I want to study this issue

Dec 26, 2022
Thanks for confirming.

To prove your relationship as partners in civil law, you can provide a variety of documentary evidence. For example, you can provide joint rental agreements, tax returns, joint insurance, and so on. I just recently studied documentary evidence, used https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/documentary/ for this. It is important that you provide all available documents that prove your relationship as civil law partners in order to ensure the success of your application. Receipts for general expenses such as gas, flights, and lodging may also be helpful. However, you should make sure that they contain the name of both partners to prove their joint participation in these costs.
;)

Last edited:

MerindaSwiss

Aug 16, 2023
Thanks for confirming.

Yes, I am applying for a common law sponsorship application simultaneously. I already applied for permanent residency as a skilled worker early last year, but that's taking forever. Like it was mentioned here https://gamblorium.com/ca/roulette/

Hello. Thanks for sharing.
I had a similar situation. You really must offer proof that you have lived together continuously for a year. This implies that the proof you offer must demonstrate that you have resided at the same address consistently for at least a full year. For this reason, the joint bank account statement must be at least a year old.

JL0902

Sep 4, 2023
Hello. Thanks for sharing.
I had a similar situation. You really must offer proof that you have lived together continuously for a year. This implies that the proof you offer must demonstrate that you have resided at the same address consistently for at least a full year. For this reason, the joint bank account statement must be at least a year old.
Hi there! If we have rental leases with both of our name on it and other proof of financial such as insurance and company pension, would a year of joint account still be a must-have?