+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Common-Law Sponsorship as a VISITOR

LauraLam

Aug 11, 2018
England
First time poster, I hope I'm in the right place!

I am a Canadian citizen living in the UK with my British partner. We fully qualify for common-law sponsorship. I am 11 weeks pregnant and due in the beginning of March. We are trying to move to Canada to have the baby and stay....we started our outland application (as obviously we are both here in UK) but the timelines are too risky.

If my partner and I went to Canada within the next few months (he has an ETA) and then applied for inland common-law sponsorship (and work permit) while he was staying with my family and I as a visitor....is that deceitful? Would it impact our application? Should we let our intent be known at the border? Should we buy a return ticket for him, or show that we have return funds? Should we just be upfront?

I feel like I have read everything there is to read and I'm at my wits end, trying to do the right thing.

Thanks for any input! x

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
1. Not deceitful at all. The majority of people who apply inland don't have some extended status, they're mostly visitors. It will not impact your application in any way. The most important part of your application will be proving that you have common law status (cohabitation in the same place for 12 months uninterrupted time) and that your relationship is valid.
2. You don't have to declare intent to apply at the border unless the agent explicitly asks you if this is your intent. Just say that you're planning to visit. If asked, then yes, be honest that you plan to apply during your visit. This won't make him ineligible to enter, but the best course of action is always to volunteer the least info and then answer honestly if they ask. A return ticket purchased would show your partner's intention to leave Canada in a timely manner, so that might be very helpful. You can provide that info if they ask.

Good luck and congratulations!

Reactions: LauraLam

LauraLam

Aug 11, 2018
England
1. Not deceitful at all. The majority of people who apply inland don't have some extended status, they're mostly visitors. It will not impact your application in any way. The most important part of your application will be proving that you have common law status (cohabitation in the same place for 12 months uninterrupted time) and that your relationship is valid.
2. You don't have to declare intent to apply at the border unless the agent explicitly asks you if this is your intent. Just say that you're planning to visit. If asked, then yes, be honest that you plan to apply during your visit. This won't make him ineligible to enter, but the best course of action is always to volunteer the least info and then answer honestly if they ask. A return ticket purchased would show your partner's intention to leave Canada in a timely manner, so that might be very helpful. You can provide that info if they ask.

Good luck and congratulations!
Thank you so so much for your concise and super helpful reply!

It may sound painfully dramatic but I cried after reading it! haha I've been searching for a straight answer for ages.

We were about 80% done our outland application anyways, so a lot of our case and 'relationship evidence' is ready to go.

Time to get moving!

LauraLam

Aug 11, 2018
England
@mrs_december

I just thought I'd ask.....should we purchase a return ticket for the full estimated OWP processing time? 4 months from arrival? I know visitors are typically entitled to 6 months, but if he has a shorter return booked and does not get on that return flight....could he be flagged?

Last edited:

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
@mrs_december

I just thought I'd ask.....should we purchase a return ticket for the full estimated OWP processing time? 4 months from arrival? I know visitors are typically entitled to 6 months, but if he has a shorter return booked and does not get on that return flight....could he be flagged?
It won't much matter when you book the ticket for, if you don't intend to use it. And no, he won't be flagged if he doesn't get on the plane. The only way it would matter is if he was somehow granted less than 6 months on his entry (the border agent would tell him at the time of entry and stamp his passport, so you'd know right away) so that you'd know in advance to have plenty of time to apply for an extension of his visit in case his OWP and status wasn't sorted prior to that date.