+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Common law process

Robbied

Jan 12, 2020
Hello All,

Maybe someone her can help answer my questions about common law requirements.

I am currently on an open work permit after graduating in 2018. I haven't been able to find a job in my field to gain hours for express entry.
I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend who has a kid since 2017. I am his mother basically I've nurtured him since he was 2 he is 5 now. I moved in with my bf in 2018, which was when we decided to take it a step further.

I continued to look for work but with hours that would allow him to return to college for his last year, and also me be able to raise our son. Was unsuccessful. My bf was unble to return to his old job for the summer and decided to go on O.W for about 3 months on top of that the only documents we have the same address but different accounts would be car insurance and lease which i was added to in jan 2019.
Would him being on social assistance affect the app, and what other proof can we use? Also my passport expires in October this year along with my work permit should i renew my passport first?

Robbied

Jan 12, 2020
Hi,

He isnt on it now. He did it for three months last summer, he is in school full time until April this year and will be back to work after.

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
He should be able to sponsor you as long as he is not Currently on or planning to go back on Assistance anytime soon. Just make sure you have as much proof required for the common law process and you should be ok. Search for more of the common law threads in the forum. Good Luck

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If he hasn't gone back to work since being on welfare, I would encourage you to provide a plan as to how he will cover your expenses. While he isn't on welfare right now, the visa officers may have concerns that he will go back onto welfare.

Robbied

Jan 12, 2020
He was only on it for the three months because his work was slow during summer months. After he graduates in April he will be back on a job.

As for me i am currently working and my open work permit hasn't expired yet. I pay taxes and can provide for myself. Does this matter?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It can help, but it's his obligation to cover your expenses without resorting to welfare. It's in the undertaking he signs as part of the application. They will consider family income, but he also has to have a plan.

Robbied

Jan 12, 2020
Hello,

There was one question i really wanted an answer to. Can any of us add eachother on one or two more documents before applying. Or do they look into the dates of how long you had accounts together?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

There was one question i really wanted an answer to. Can any of us add eachother on one or two more documents before applying. Or do they look into the dates of how long you had accounts together?
They look at dates. You need address proofs covering one full year.