Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
sophieee said:
I was reading a lot the 2013 topic and I will definitely send an OWP as soon as I get a UCI number with my AOR. But I'm a little confused about my temporary resident permit, hope you can help me. In "Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada" I can apply both the work permit and the TR permit, but this way the TRP would costs $200.00. Since I have a TRP right now, I think I'm eligible "Applying to remain in Canada as a temporary resident permit holder", which is a different application, and it costs $75.00.
So, I wouldn't like to pay an extra $125.00 if I don't have to, but I don't know if it's working that I send the two different application, or send just the first and pay the lowest price. Any advise?
When does your temporary residence permit expire? Because once you apply for the OWP you will have implied status, as far as I know! So you don't technically have to renew anything, unless you want to, because the OWP would be changing your conditions from a visitor to a worker. Did you take the eligibility quiz online? Perhaps that can tell you what exactly you need to fill out.

Please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong. These are just my thoughts on the subject. I have gone from a visa exempt visitor from the US, to extending my visitor status by a year (which I did on paper because as far as I know you have to) then I changed my status to a student when I started at the UofC (which I did online), and now we're applying for an OWP with our app. So I've been through the gamut hahah.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
msbozick said:
When does your temporary residence permit expire? Because once you apply for the OWP you will have implied status, as far as I know! So you don't technically have to renew anything, unless you want to, because the OWP would be changing your conditions from a visitor to a worker. Did you take the eligibility quiz online? Perhaps that can tell you what exactly you need to fill out.

Please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong. These are just my thoughts on the subject. I have gone from a visa exempt visitor from the US, to extending my visitor status by a year (which I did on paper because as far as I know you have to) then I changed my status to a student when I started at the UofC (which I did online), and now we're applying for an OWP with our app. So I've been through the gamut hahah.
No, it by the looks of it, it looks correct. Applying for an OWP along with the initial pr application gives you implied status. Be sure to apply and send both together before your current status runs out. You can apply to extend your stay online easily, maybe to get health care depending where in Canada you are.

msgoodvibes

Jan 10, 2014
sophieee said:
And I haven't seen it before I sent my app on Friday... But I hope they will still accept the applications for a while...
The work permits are still expected in Vegreville, hope it won't change.

By the way, at what number can you reach CIC? I tried a few, but they never answerd.
Sent something to CIC last Friday Jan 17 and I did check the guide for the address. It was still Vegreville that time. Noticed your comments on this thread this weekend and yeah the guide has Miss, ON now. Confusing!

Gaur

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,

I applied for OWP at the same time with my Spouse Sponsorship Application in November 2013.

Can you tell me how soon will she gets the Work Permit ? (as she has started applying for jobs)

Is it possible for her to get the OHIP after getting the work permit or do we have to wait till PR?

Please let me know.

Thanks

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
Gaur said:
Hi,

I applied for OWP at the same time with my Spouse Sponsorship Application in November 2013.

Can you tell me how soon will she gets the Work Permit ? (as she has started applying for jobs)

Is it possible for her to get the OHIP after getting the work permit or do we have to wait till PR?

Please let me know.

Thanks
She won't get her OWP until after you get AIP which CIC says is 10 months after you submit your app. As far as healthcare, I'm not sure as I am in Alberta.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
msbozick said:

My TRP expire March 14th and I've read that I can have work permit only if I have a TRP.
I've tried the quiz but since i haven't got any work experience (just finished the university) I'm eligible to come to Canada only through Family Sponsorship, I'm not eligible for a work permit on my own.

Line.a said:
No, it by the looks of it, it looks correct. Applying for an OWP along with the initial pr application gives you implied status. Be sure to apply and send both together before your current status runs out. You can apply to extend your stay online easily, maybe to get health care depending where in Canada you are.
I'm already sent my sponsorship application (they received it today!:) ), so I will be able to send the OWP application after I get my UCI.

Gaur

Oct 15, 2013
msbozick said:
She won't get her OWP until after you get AIP which CIC says is 10 months after you submit your app. As far as healthcare, I'm not sure as I am in Alberta.
Anyone having any idea regarding OHIP ?

As far as OWP is concerned is it really taking 10 months?
I saw some cases in which people are receiving it in less than the time frame mentioned.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Gaur said:
Anyone having any idea regarding OHIP ?

As far as OWP is concerned is it really taking 10 months?
I saw some cases in which people are receiving it in less than the time frame mentioned.

Please let me know.

Thanks
It seems that most people get AIP around the 10-11th month mark. It's a long wait, we all go through it.
A very few lucky ones have been faster, eventually because CIC had doubts and called them for an interview and verbally got AIP.

I'm not familiar with OHIP but I know here in Alberta you have to have a visitor record that proves you are staying here for more than 6 months.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
Line.a said:
It seems that most people get AIP around the 10-11th month mark. It's a long wait, we all go through it.
A very few lucky ones have been faster, eventually because CIC had doubts and called them for an interview and verbally got AIP.

I'm not familiar with OHIP but I know here in Alberta you have to have a visitor record that proves you are staying here for more than 6 months.
I believe you can get OHIP after AIP, and after you've been in Ontario for 6 consecutive months (and can prove it with mail). There's more rules, like you have to be in Ontario for 150 days in the year or something. I don't remember exactly.

You can also get OHIP with a working permit (regular).

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How do you get OHIP in Ontario??

I have been in Canada for 2 years already on a working holiday Visa which ended in January and I have already sent off my In-Land PR+OWP.

I have been working this whole time but never applied for OHIP.

I want to apply for OHIP.

hwanlj

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
How do you get OHIP in Ontario??

I have been in Canada for 2 years already on a working holiday Visa which ended in January and I have already sent off my In-Land PR+OWP.

I have been working this whole time but never applied for OHIP.

I want to apply for OHIP.

You could've got it when you were working.. As a foreign worker, You need to bring an employment letter, passport and your visa to a close service canada office..

However, since you're not employed now, you need to wait until you get your AIP, then you can apply,..

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
**BIG UPDATE FROM THE CIC***

Anyone being sponsored by a Canadian spouse or common-law partner, listen up. On January 15, 2014, the government changed the processing stream of IN CANADA CLASS spousal and common-law sponsorship applications. These are now to be sent to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga. The Case Processing Centre in Vegreville will no longer be processing these applications. AND, you can no longer include an application for an Open Work Permit or Visitor Extension WITH your sponsorship and PR applications. CPC Mississauga will let you know when or if you can apply for the OWP and you must submit visitor extensions separately to Vegreville. There is no longer any possibility of being able to continue working on implied status by including the OWP application with the PR application. This applies ONLY to those who have NOT submitted your application yet. Those who have already submitted your applications do not need to worry about this

**Unconfirmed**

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Wow! That's quite the change..

gtbond

May 15, 2013
My questions are very naive but can anyone please help?

I'm PR of Canada, my wife is in Canada and we applied for my wife's inland PR application last week but didn't include open work permit application with PR application.

She is on Student visa (but currently not studying) and it's expiring in March... Also, she cannot get after study work permit (not sure what's exact term, Post graduation WP?).

• Can we apply for Open Work Permit now? if not what should we do to maintain her status in Canada?
  • Is it necessary to maintain status? What are Pros and Cons?

Is it adivsable to apply online or paper application?

Thanks a lot!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
**BIG UPDATE FROM THE CIC***

Anyone being sponsored by a Canadian spouse or common-law partner, listen up. On January 15, 2014, the government changed the processing stream of IN CANADA CLASS spousal and common-law sponsorship applications. These are now to be sent to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga. The Case Processing Centre in Vegreville will no longer be processing these applications. AND, you can no longer include an application for an Open Work Permit or Visitor Extension WITH your sponsorship and PR applications. CPC Mississauga will let you know when or if you can apply for the OWP and you must submit visitor extensions separately to Vegreville. There is no longer any possibility of being able to continue working on implied status by including the OWP application with the PR application. This applies ONLY to those who have NOT submitted your application yet. Those who have already submitted your applications do not need to worry about this

**Unconfirmed**
If this is confirmed, it is meant to enforce the rules of those on IEC and PGWP. They will not able to assume that they will get "implied status" on these type of work visas. They will have to quit as they are suppose to.

So it would mean that you would have to submit a work extension, a study extension, or a visitor extension separately to maintain your status.