Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
I am applying for the study permit extension. I am not sure about one of the questions in the Study Permit Extension (IMM5709E) form.
There is a question in the Background part of the application form: 2c Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada (Yes or No, if yes explain in detail). What should be the answer for this? I obviously applied previously to study in Canada that is why I am applying for an extension. However, it seems odd, as this form is for extension! Another question, If my PR application is in process should I mention it here (as they asked whether I applied to remain in Canada or not.
Could anyone share their experience who already applied for the study permit extension. Thank you.

lighty_j

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
20-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
25-08-2015
Interview........
SA: 27-10-2015
Passport Req..
AIP: 17-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 17-01-2016
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
kma said:
I am applying for the study permit extension. I am not sure about one of the questions in the Study Permit Extension (IMM5709E) form.
There is a question in the Background part of the application form: 2c Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada (Yes or No, if yes explain in detail). What should be the answer for this? I obviously applied previously to study in Canada that is why I am applying for an extension. However, it seems odd, as this form is for extension! Another question, If my PR application is in process should I mention it here (as they asked whether I applied to remain in Canada or not.
Could anyone share their experience who already applied for the study permit extension. Thank you.
You should definitely mention that you applied for PR. I did that way and already have my study permit extension.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have returned back to Canada after a week and a half with NO issues at all at the boarder.

I'm British and I went back to England. I just showed them my passport and my Pilot Project Open Work permit.

I said that I have a common-law application which is in the middle of being processed, the agent was aware of the long processing times.

No questions asked and they let me in

Like I have been saying all along, There was no way they could even cancel my application then and there for leaving the country if they wanted too, they just don't have the authority to do that and if I didn't mention anything about my PR application which is already in progress they would of still let me in. I think they would of still let me in even if I didnt have a OWP.

However I was someone with NO red flags and also from a Visa Exempt country, which I am sure made the processes easier

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
I have returned back to Canada after a week and a half with NO issues at all at the boarder.

I'm British and I went back to England. I just showed them my passport and my Pilot Project Open Work permit.

I said that I have a common-law application which is in the middle of being processed, the agent was aware of the long processing times.

No questions asked and they let me in

Like I have been saying all along, There was no way they could even cancel my application then and there for leaving the country if they wanted too, they just don't have the authority to do that and if I didn't mention anything about my PR application which is already in progress they would of still let me in. I think they would of still let me in even if I didnt have a OWP.

However I was someone with NO red flags and also from a Visa Exempt country, which I am sure made the processes easier
You had no RED flag with your PR application itself. That's not the issue. Once you left Canada, you lost your "out of status" and once you re-entered Canada, you now have legal status in Canada.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
You had no RED flag with your PR application itself. That's not the issue. Once you left Canada, you lost your "out of status" and once you re-entered Canada, you now have legal status in Canada.
I clearly was never out of status due to them sending me a Work permit

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
I clearly was never out of status due to them sending me a Work permit
So CIC mistaken asked you to submit a status of restoration when they sent back your PR application? Like that never happened? Whatever.

Anyway, you now have legal status since re-entering Canada. Your status in Canada before leaving Canada is now moot, whether you believe you were in status or not.

indiana_rica

Apr 15, 2014
Got my OWP yesterday. I am an April 2014 applicant. Owp was submitted with PR. I am over the moon . Going to apply for SIN and health care card now. Hang in there guys!

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
indiana_rica said:
Got my OWP yesterday. I am an April 2014 applicant. Owp was submitted with PR. I am over the moon . Going to apply for SIN and health care card now. Hang in there guys!
When did you apply for your OWP?

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
So CIC mistaken asked you to submit a status of restoration when they sent back your PR application? Like that never happened? Whatever.

Anyway, you now have legal status since re-entering Canada. Your status in Canada before leaving Canada is now moot, whether you believe you were in status or not.
Yes I restored my status back then when they asked for me to do so when i had to resubmit my application

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
Yes I restored my status back then when they asked for me to do so when i had to resubmit my application
You did not restore your status when you submit a status of restoration. You were "out of status" until a decision is made by CIC on your status of restoration application. A decision on your status of restoration has not been made since you never heard from CIC on it as of yet. So it is likely that CIC has mistakenly issued you an OWP since a decision on your status has not been finalized yet. Your situation is liken to an applicant getting a "non-conditional" PR status who is married less than 2 years with no children. Do you honestly think the applicant will return COPR to CIC and tell them he/she was suppose to get conditional PR, not bloody likely. Are you going to send back your OWP explaining that you are awaiting your decision of your status of restoration before you actually qualifies for OWP. Again not bloody likely. As far as I'm concerned, I think CIC mistakenly issued an OWP to an "out of status" applicant, like you. No more than CIC mistakenly issued an OWP to an outland applicant.

kma

Star Member
Aug 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
lighty_j said:
You should definitely mention that you applied for PR. I did that way and already have my study permit extension.
Thank you. I will do that.

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
Hey guys, just to let you know I'm a May 12 2014 applicant and I can log into ECAS now! :)

Also, this is complicated but I was on a student visa and took some time off this year (to wait for MUCH less expensive tuition when we get PR) so I applied in October to change my status from Student to Visitor (I'm from the US) and then once the Pilot program happened, I applied for an OWP. Since I applied for my change of status about a month before the date listed on the processing times, I decided to call today to see what's up because I was getting so worried that I didn't have my visitor status yet-- I was started to check the mailbox obsessively and it was keeping me up at night. The agent informed me that they got my work permit application so they just decided to cancel my change of status application and refund me the $100 since it was no longer necessary because the OWP app gave me implied status. How nice of them-- I get a hundred bucks back! The agent also said the whole thing about the pilot program 4 months wait time, so "I should get my work permit sometime before May 13" (I applied in January for OWP).

Just thought I'd share that story to let you all know that some of the agents and the CIC really do care about what they're doing. They could have easily just issued my visitor visa and then issued the OWP after it and kept my $100 but someone looked into my file enough to see that it wasn't necessary and I'm very thankful for that.

Keep you heads up, everyone! :)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Hi all,
It would be great to track the progress of the issuance of the OWPs, especially the ones after Dec 22, but for me it looks like that the FB group's tracking sheet is not so up to date. I'd like to encourage everyone to share the exact date you applied and/or received your OWP either here, or in a private message.
Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sophieee said:
Hi all,
It would be great to track the progress of the issuance of the OWPs, especially the ones after Dec 22, but for me it looks like that the FB group's tracking sheet is not so up to date. I'd like to encourage everyone to share the exact date you applied and/or received your OWP either here, or in a private message.
Thanks
Be nice to know the average time OWP arrives to door for those who applied for OWP under the pilot program but didn't submit OWP with PR application. A friend of ours is applying for OWP but doesn't know how long it would take to get OWP after submitting it. The OWP processing time according to CIC by mail is 80 days, 47 days online. Right now the online option seems to be down at the moment. Has been for last couple of days now.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
screech339 said:
Be nice to know the average time OWP arrives to door for those who applied for OWP under the pilot program but didn't submit OWP with PR application. A friend of ours is applying for OWP but doesn't know how long it would take to get OWP after submitting it. The OWP processing time according to CIC by mail is 80 days, 47 days online. Right now the online option seems to be down at the moment. Has been for last couple of days now.
We are not allowed to apply online before the AIP, only on paper. And there is a different address than the "regular" OWP applications, so I'm not sure if we will be going by the same timeline. We will see.