Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jangley said:
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding maintaining legal status while PR application is processing. I am currently in Canada on an IEC work permit. It was issued at a land border in May however I was only given until Jan 2015, in error. To solve this, I was requested to apply for an extension for my IEC work permit so I can stay for the full year. I am due to send off a PR spousal sponsorship application soon. I will probably not hear back about my extension application until after my IEC expires in Jan. If for some reason my extension is refused, do I have time to then apply to stay as a visitor (while PR application is processing) or will I have to leave Canada immediately upon refusal? Or is there a way I can apply for a change to visitor status beforehand just incase my extension is refused? Do I have implied status if I send a work permit application in with the PR? I am perhaps worrying for no reason as my extension should be approved, but I'd like to have a plan just incase. The more I read, the more confused I get!

Thank you to anyone who may be able clarify this for me.
First of all, IEC visa does not give anybody the benefits of "implied status" when one submits OWP with the PR application. By submitting an OWP with the PR application while on IEC will only give you the benefits of "implied status" as a visitor only. You cannot continue working past IEC expiration date.

I am not entirely familiar with IEC extension but I believe IEC does not allow extension thus one of the reasons IEC does not give "implied status" to continue working under IEC.

Screech339

Jangley

Nov 26, 2014
screech339 said:
First of all, IEC visa does not give anybody the benefits of "implied status" when one submits OWP with the PR application. By submitting an OWP with the PR application while on IEC will only give you the benefits of "implied status" as a visitor only. You cannot continue working past IEC expiration date.

I am not entirely familiar with IEC extension but I believe IEC does not allow extension thus one of the reasons IEC does not give "implied status" to continue working under IEC.

Screech339

Thank you for a very quick response!

So if submitting an OWP with the PR app while on IEC allows me to stay on "implied status" as a visitor then that's all the confirmation I need. I do not need implied status as a worker (I don't currently have a job). I think I'm only allowed to extend this IEC visa as it was not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program. So long as I don't have to leave, that's great!

Jane

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jangley said:
Thank you for a very quick response!

So if submitting an OWP with the PR app while on IEC allows me to stay on "implied status" as a visitor then that's all the confirmation I need. I do not need implied status as a worker (I don't currently have a job). I think I'm only allowed to extend this IEC visa as it was not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program. So long as I don't have to leave, that's great!

Jane
You're welcome.

Screech339

hwanlj

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
App. Filed.......
Jan.10.2014
LANDED..........
Oct.14.2015
screech339 said:
Because you did not submit your OWP with your PR application, you will not get "implied status" regardless of what visa anyone holds. You would have to wait until you get AIP approved before applying for OWP.

Sigh... Thanks for your response..
Then the only way i get a work permit would be with LMO...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hwanlj said:
Sigh... Thanks for your response..
Then the only way i get a work permit would be with LMO...
Under your current situation, that is correct.

spiram82

Jul 16, 2014
Hi - I have started to follow the forums as lawyers charge more.
I have my wife in India and we already have a rejected visit visa in our records. So now we are collecting documents and filling in forms. I just got my option C printout and she is waiting for her police certificate which would take 21 days.
So I believe it should be in the 2nd week of december that i submit my documents.
Do we need to get all documents that are photocopied notarised on them.
Does it matter if I get them notarised here in Canada or would I have to tell my wife to get notarised in India ?
Also, do i have to make the payment in full ?
regards

canusa2014

Aug 28, 2014
Yesterday I FINALLY got AOR! We applied in February, 2014, but never heard from CIC. I found out through this forum how to use my UCI number and check my status online, but that is the only way I knew they had received it. It has been maddening! I am just happy to have some official word that it has been received.

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
Guys, my husband got this email TODAY (Saturday) at 3pm:

"UCI: xx
Application No.: xx
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dearxx,

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2014/04/03 on behalf of the following member(s):

xx

When should I contact CIC?
You must notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
• Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, a marriage or a divorce
• Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number)
• Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual
• Decision to withdraw your application

To notify CIC of changes to your application you may contact this office at the address identified below. You may also contact the Call Centre, toll-free, at 1-888-242-2100. Changes to your address may be made through our online service at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp.

What happens next?
For further information about the sponsorship process, please refer to CIC's website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp.

You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process. You may be eligible for a refund of the sponsorship fee or the permanent resident application fee if processing of your file has not yet begun.

How do I check the status of my application?
You may use the UCI number above to check the status of your application on the CIC website. Please visit www.cic.gc.ca/english and in the “I Need To ...” section on the right-hand side of the page, select “Check application status.”

How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times for reference at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp.

Please be advised that CIC will contact you as soon as your application is reviewed. We trust that this information concerning your Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class is helpful.

CPC Mississauga
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4H4

www.cic.gc.ca"

I, the applicant, got the AOR back in August though. This is the first CIC email my husband has received.

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
So I'm pretty annoyed right now.

I have this friend who married in Tanzania. She got pregnant and because of health issues, decided to come back to Canada & give birth here. Her husband had applied for PR. She also applied for a visit visa for him but was obviously rejected. Then they pulled the PR application and got him here on a visit visa after letters from the doctor, a petition signed by her county residents, and her MP. He got here a few weeks after the baby's birth.
Then she re-applied for his PR and he just got his PR last week!!! ALL of this happened within 9 months and he has been in Canada only since June.

I am very happy for her as she was really stressed and she's a nice girl who met her husband while she was teaching English in Tanzania but really... I don't understand why his inland application was expedited?!

I just wrote to her asking the details of her application but this really pissed me off. I really don't like this inconsistency crap at CIC.

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
azarme09 said:
So I'm pretty annoyed right now.

I have this friend who married in Tanzania. She got pregnant and because of health issues, decided to come back to Canada & give birth here. Her husband had applied for PR. She also applied for a visit visa for him but was obviously rejected. Then they pulled the PR application and got him here on a visit visa after letters from the doctor, a petition signed by her county residents, and her MP. He got here a few weeks after the baby's birth.
Then she re-applied for his PR and he just got his PR last week!!! ALL of this happened within 9 months and he has been in Canada only since June.

I am very happy for her as she was really stressed and she's a nice girl who met her husband while she was teaching English in Tanzania but really... I don't understand why his inland application was expedited?!

I just wrote to her asking the details of her application but this really pissed me off. I really don't like this inconsistency crap at CIC.

There have been cases on this thread of people with similar timelines all because they were facing deportation orders or CBSA had become involved. So rather than deport them(which is time-sensitive), they expedite their applications. So backwards I know from the viewpoint of someone who has always tried to go by the book.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
azarme09 said:

are you sure they resubmitted an INLAND application? if they first applied when he was in tanzania, then that would have been outland, and they could have simply reapplied outland while he was in canada as a visitor. there are many visa offices that approve applications in 6-12 months, so if it's outland, it doesn't sound like his application was "expedited", as it is very unlikely a visa office would expedite the application because they have a baby together. generally, outland applications are not expedited and it's quite possible their timeline fits the timeline of applicants from tanzania. as the other poster mentioned, the majority of cases that are expedited are inland applications where the applicant is currently out of status in canada and they've been reported to CBSA/CIC. from the story you shared, this does not sound like the case of your friend.

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
I am 100% sure. She told me when they pulled the application from Tanzania. Also, Nairobi office's current wait time is 21 months.
And he didn't have any CBSA issues, as far as I know. He came here on a visit visa in June. And he landed as a PR last week.
I have asked her for the details. Will update.

rhcohen2014 said:
are you sure they resubmitted an INLAND application? if they first applied when he was in tanzania, then that would have been outland, and they could have simply reapplied outland while he was in canada as a visitor. there are many visa offices that approve applications in 6-12 months, so if it's outland, it doesn't sound like his application was "expedited", as it is very unlikely a visa office would expedite the application because they have a baby together. generally, outland applications are not expedited and it's quite possible their timeline fits the timeline of applicants from tanzania. as the other poster mentioned, the majority of cases that are expedited are inland applications where the applicant is currently out of status in canada and they've been reported to CBSA/CIC. from the story you shared, this does not sound like the case of your friend.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
azarme09 said:
I am 100% sure. She told me when they pulled the application from Tanzania. Also, Nairobi office's current wait time is 21 months.
And he didn't have any CBSA issues, as far as I know. He came here on a visit visa in June. And he landed as a PR last week.
I have asked her for the details. Will update.
just an FYI about outland applications... even though the CIC website suggests a processing time is x months, a majority of applications are processed in far less time, and it generally reflects "worst case" scenario applications. The times posted online are misleading, and do not reflect what current applicants are experiencing. So even though it "says" 21 months, most likely it's far less than that. For example: for US citizens, Ottawa processes applications, and the CIC site states a 16 month processing time. We know this isn't true because most US citizens are approved in 6 mo. or less. Also, when US citizens assume their application is processed in LA (which is only the case when interviews are required), they see a processing time of 33 months, or something ridiculous like that. Again, that is not the case for family class pr applications. Generally, those requiring interviews with applications in LA are approved in 12-16 months. the best way to get an accurate account of application processing at a specific visa office is to find the thread specific to that visa office and check the spreadsheet that tracks progress.

There's also the possibility your friend isn't telling the entire story, or has confused the fact they applied inland because he is currently in canada, so she could *assume* resubmitting the application automatically makes it an inland application. hopefully her update can shed some light on the situation.

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
I will re-confirm once she gets online today.

rhcohen2014 said:
just an FYI about outland applications... even though the CIC website suggests a processing time is x months, a majority of applications are processed in far less time. The times posted online are misleading, and do not reflect what current applicants are experiencing. So even though it "says" 21 months, most likely it's far less than that. For example: for US citizens, Ottawa processes applications, and the CIC site states a 16 month processing time. We know this isn't true because most US citizens are approved in 6 mo. or less. Also, when US citizens assume their application is processed in LA (which is only the case when interviews are required), they see a processing time of 33 months, or something ridiculous like that. Again, that is not the case for family class pr applications. Generally, those requiring interviews with applications in LA are approved in 12-16 months. the best way to get an accurate account of application processing at a specific visa office is to find the thread specific to that visa office and check the spreadsheet that tracks progress.

There's also the possibility your friend isn't telling the entire story, or has confused the fact they applied inland because he is currently in canada, so she could *assume* resubmitting the application automatically makes it an inland application. hopefully her update can shed some light on the situation.

gfdvca

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
I invite you to review some recently compiled information on inland sponsorship and comparable programs in other countries. When it comes to processing times, Canada really does not stack up. Please tweet and share with your local MP.

http://inlandsponsor.weebly.com/