+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2013

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JohnnyP said:
Well, I don't know. I probably have misunderstood his post. I thought he said his work permit has expired and he was still working.
That's the beauty of submitting an OWP with an Inland application. If the application is received prior to the existing WP expiry (and it's not IEC or PGWP) it simply `extends' to ability for the person to continue working [at the same job] until they are either approved or denied PR. And, unlike a visitor extension...it doesn't need to be `approved', because it is automatic.

MiriMinBC

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Landing done today!!!

They said 8 week wait for PR card and I have to wait until then for an SIN. I am going to stop by Service Canada anyway and try.

SS.Kingston

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
13-01-2014 (AIP)
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
17-10-2014 (Decision Made)
Folks, if you leave Canada under implied status, don't you lose your status all together?!

I think the concern here is more related to what status you will get when you return? And how long the new status will be good for?

WeCanadoIt said:
While we are on the topic, I could also do with some help.

I am a Sep 16 2013 applicant and have been working away on implied status, since my work permit ran out last Nov.

I will be going home to Ireland for Christmas (flights booked ages ago and have to see my family).

I was just wondering what the process for me is when I come back and what should I have prepared.
I am guessing/hoping I will be given a visitor visa(no more working) at the airport.
Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.
I really hope i get my OWP before then, but this scenario is starting to look likely.
416 days waiting so far.

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Ponga, this implied status for PGWP is quite debatable... Strictly speaking , PGWP is a one-time deal with maximum of 3 years. Once PGWP expires, it is NOT renewable. Some people say this implied status can be applied to PGWP while some say no...

Ponga said:
That's the beauty of submitting an OWP with an Inland application. If the application is received prior to the existing WP expiry (and it's not IEC or PGWP) it simply `extends' to ability for the person to continue working [at the same job] until they are either approved or denied PR. And, unlike a visitor extension...it doesn't need to be `approved', because it is automatic.

WeCanadoIt

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
LANDED..........
16-04-2015
I wasn't working illegally. I applied for OWP while I still had my company specific 3yr Work Permit. This gave me implied status.

On CIC website, Ireland is a Visa exempt country.
I imagine I would still have to really explain my situation to get him/her to let me in.

Im just kinda confused about the whole thing. Worried that something might happen at the border and am trying to be as overly cautious as I can be.

I will be arriving back on a plane in early Jan with my girlfriend(though she will go through the Canadian Line at border).

Am I definitely not allowed to return to work(98% sure I cant)?
How are my chances of getting back in?
I will bring as much documentation as I can.
Any chance of them giving me my OWP at the airport?

So many questions.....Thanks for all your feedback so far.

Found some more info regarding implied and travel: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

hshi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
awesome, MiriminBC, I assume you live in BC like we do... can you walk me through this process? is that at downtown office?

thanks
MiriMinBC said:
Landing done today!!!

They said 8 week wait for PR card and I have to wait until then for an SIN. I am going to stop by Service Canada anyway and try.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Going from the IEC Visa then Implied Status and Continuing to work in perfectly fine and peoples application has been approved and you have followed the rules

NOWHERE does it state that you cant do this on the CIC website.

Its a grey area, a loophole, A unknown process so please stop telling people to rule that option out as I have known 17 people from 2013 and then another 5 more who's currently in processing to have done this and its worked as any other process.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WeCanadoIt said:
I wasn't working illegally. I applied for OWP while I still had my company specific 3yr Work Permit. This gave me implied status.

I imagine I would still have to really explain my situation to get him/her to let me in.

Im just kinda confused about the whole thing. Worried that something might happen at the border and am trying to be as overly cautious as I can be.

I will be arriving back on a plane in early Jan with my girlfriend(though she will go through the Canadian Line at border).

Found some more info regarding implied and travel: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

How is your company going to know that you can no longer work since coming back? As far as they know your work permit ended a long time ago....so going back to work wouldn't really be much of an issue would it? so why stop working

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
A few questions....

How is your company going to know that you can no longer work since coming back? As far as they know your work permit ended a long time ago....so going back to work wouldn't really be much of an issue would it?
Because, dumb a$$, when he leaves Canada the implied status leaves with him (as zardoz has already pointed out, in the Inland 2014 thread).

SS.Kingston

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
13-01-2014 (AIP)
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Jamesdavid3 said:
How is your company going to know that you can no longer work since coming back? As far as they know your work permit ended a long time ago....so going back to work wouldn't really be much of an issue would it? so why stop working
You cannot go back to work after leaving the country! You will lose your implied status once you leave Canada!

Coming back to work will become illegal unless you receive the OWP while you are gone.

CIC says:
If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, R186(u) and R189 (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hshi said:
Ponga, this implied status for PGWP is quite debatable... Strictly speaking , PGWP is a one-time deal with maximum of 3 years. Once PGWP expires, it is NOT renewable. Some people say this implied status can be applied to PGWP while some say no...
And that's exactly why I posted this, prior to the post that you're referring to:

"...Unless this person had an IEC or (possibly) a PGWP, s/he could have continued working because of the OWP that was sent with the Inland application."

SS.Kingston

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
13-01-2014 (AIP)
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
MiriMinBC said:
Landing done today!!!

Big congratulations!

I'm still waiting for the interview notice from Ottawa. It is taking them forever. How long did it take for you to get your notice after DM?

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
WeCanadoIt said:

I traveled with my partner to Europe prior to her receiving AIP and she had no issues re-entering. The only thing the officers was concerned about was that she didn't overstay her original status. She was on a visitor's visa at the time.

Since you're on implied status you become a visitor when you come back so you cannot continue to work b/c you've changed your status now. Make sure you bring proof that you've sent in a PR app prior to your old visa expiring to show the officer you didn't overstay your visa. Your gf can go in the non-resident line with you if there are any questions. That's what I did.

I doubt the officer will not let you in the country. Just be honest and explain the situation - you had your flight already booked for Xmas and you didn't expect the processing time to be so long. The officer will just want to confirm you didn't overstay your original visa.