10-04-2013
IELTS Request
AIP RECEIVED: 13-11-2013
File Transfer...
OWP REC'D: 14-2-2014
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
guri3577 said:
You can upload the AIP letter online as well.
True....but the CIC agent told me that if you are applying for a OWP after already receiving AIP you cannot submit the application online. He said it again specifically in the email he sent that had the link for the form. Reason being is you have to write on the envelope itself when you are mailing in the OWP application in Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner if that is not written on the envelope then they will not send it to the specific department for proper processing.

frenchwapiti

Jan 15, 2014
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
12-09-2013
Med's Done....
with application
VISA ISSUED...
patiently waiting
LANDED..........
15-04-2015
JHWife2011 said:
True....but the CIC agent told me that if you are applying for a OWP after already receiving AIP you cannot submit the application online. He said it again specifically in the email he sent that had the link for the form. Reason being is you have to write on the envelope itself when you are mailing in the OWP application in Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner if that is not written on the envelope then they will not send it to the specific department for proper processing.
I confirm! it was the same for me, you cannot apply online, you must mail it.

RRSweet

Star Member
Aug 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2013
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
10-07-2013
Interview........
AIP: August 8, 2014 OWP Received August 15, 2014 Decision Made: Jan. 26, 2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2015
Whoa!!!! At this pace they will be going through June, July, and August by the beginning of March! Whooohooooo LETS GO CIC!!!

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
guri3577 said:

guri3577 said:
Hello Guri,

I was wondering as to the information you just mentioned.
Is there any options that I could upload any supporting documents when I apply for an OWP through online?
I was kinda worried about the medical exam since we did the exam 3 months later after submitting the application; however, I have been waiting a medical update on ECAS since October.
So I think of how I could submit the confirmation of medical exam and other supporting documents if required.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
JHWife2011 said:
CIC agents are inconsistent with their answers as has been found many times here. A fellow member Daradiro just filled the online app. couple of days ago without any issues. You only need to mail the app., if you haven't received AIP yet. That is what I have read on this forum and people have received OWP without any issues after applying online.
P.S. I'll try to find and post the thread relevant to this.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
frenchwapiti said:
I confirm! it was the same for me, you cannot apply online, you must mail it.
You had to mail it since you didn't receive AIP at that moment.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
guri3577 said:
CIC agents are inconsistent with their answers as has been found many times here. A fellow member Daradiro just filled the online app. couple of days ago without any issues. You only need to mail the app., if you haven't received AIP yet. That is what I have read on this forum and people have received OWP without any issues after applying online.
P.S. I'll try to find and post the thread relevant to this.
This is what was sent to our email from the agent, I'm sure its a quick copy and paste method they use and don't actually type out the email word for word.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada

If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.

If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.

If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.

ZIZOU4

Jan 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
AOR Received.
21-05-2013
guri3577 said:
Congrats ZIZOU for the AIP, one step closer to PR :)
thanks you , you're time welcome soon be patient

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
for us we weren't going to change it, if they say mail it in, I'm mailing it in.

Things happening

Jan 2, 2014
Visa Office......
etobicoke
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-04-2013
Interview........
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Happywife08 said:
I got my DM January 9th and only got my letter Monday but that's because I had to go to the post office and didm't go last week. The letter is dated Jan 21st so that is only
12 days after DM for ETOBICOKE. [/u

Thank you so much happywife08.for the info ..

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
JHWife2011 said:
This is what was sent to our email from the agent, I'm sure its a quick copy and paste method they use and don't actually type out the email word for word.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada

If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.

If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.

If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.

I think this is where they need to make it clear, I think they are referring this to those who want to submit OWP app. after sending the app. but haven't received AIP yet so,that it can be processed together with AIP.
I hope senior members chime on this.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
JHWife2011 said:
for us we weren't going to change it, if they say mail it in, I'm mailing it in.
Yes, but the issue is the processing time. One takes 10 days while the other 60+ days.

Cirene

Sep 9, 2013
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Sent with Application // PCC: Sent with Application
nrajani_99 said:
anyone hear from Cieren???

Cieren- they are working on April 29th application, you should call cic and find out whats' going on..

i hope you hear something soon.
I called them yesterday and they told me they are still processing my file (for some reason) nothing seems to be wrong, it has been very slow and I've been unlucky I guess.. The agent told me that If I don't hear anything in the next two weeks, I should call them again!! At this point I think my file has been misplaced. I don't know what to think at all...

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
No OWP for me yet, they said they mailed it to me and I will have to call again if I don't get it in 6 weeks!!

I think it got lost in the mail... As they have the right address.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
guri3577 said:
Yes, but the issue is the processing time. One takes 10 days while the other 60+ days.
Oh very true....but when we asked CIC and they said nope can't do it online and I see other responses with people saying they were told the same.....you really don't want to chance it! Hubs was bummed because I mean 53 days seems like forever....I hope for future people's sake we find out that it can be done online as it would have been so much faster.