14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
JHWife2011 said:
Nope CIC agent said we could not apply online that it had to be mailed in because we already have our application in progress and once there is an app in progress and a AIP received the OWP app must be submitted via mail.
I have read many people applying online after receiving AIP and getting it. Seems like the CIC agent gave you the wrong info. because OWP app. needs to be mailed only when first stage has not been approved yet. If it is a paper app. it could take another month according to the website.
P.S. Wait for others to chime in as well.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
AIP RECEIVED: 13-11-2013
File Transfer...
OWP REC'D: 14-2-2014
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
guri3577 said:
I have read many people applying online after receiving AIP and getting it. Seems like the CIC agent gave you the wrong info. because OWP app. needs to be mailed only when first stage has not been approved yet. If it is a paper app. it could take another month according to the website.
UGH!! The CIC agent even sent me the link to the application via email with the below paragraph attached.

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada

If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.

If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.

If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
JHWife2011 said:
UGH!! The CIC agent even sent me the link to the application via email with the below paragraph attached.

Open Work Permit – Sponsorship of a Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada

If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle.

If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.

If the sponsored person did not send an open work permit application with their permanent residence application, they can send it, by mail, at any time while it is in process by writing Open Work Permit - Application for permanent residence in Canada - Spouse or common-law partner on the top of the form. They should also include proof that the permanent residence application was submitted. The open work permit application cannot be submitted online.
I wonder if you apply online today and receive your OWP within the next 2 weeks if your fees for paper app. will be refunded, since, chances are they will not get to your app. by then. You can try talking to another agent today and see what they say.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
guri3577 said:
I wonder if you apply online today and receive your OWP within the next 2 weeks if your fees for paper app. will be refunded, since, chances are they will not get to your app. by then. You can try talking to another agent today and see what they say.
Ok I may try that. I will wait for an update on the times this week and see if there is a big indent if not I will see if I can re-submit online if a refund would be granted.

Thanks Guri

Yslandgurl

Jan 21, 2013
JHWife2011 said:
Ok maybe I am just super impatient and my hub's is driving me nuts because he is going bonkers sitting at home all day and just wants to work lol but we sent in his OWP application on Dec 27th after receiving the AIP letters in November. His meds are scheduled for this Thursday. But my question is, if the OWP was sent on the 27th how much longer will it take? will we see an update on our application status on the CIC website that the OWP application was received or mailed out?? or will it just pop up in the mail?

This may be a stupid question but I keep seeing the abbreviation DM - what does it stand for?? Decision made?
DM -yes Decision Made. In my case, I received AIP and OWP Dec. 31, 2013 and DM yesterday, January 19, 2014. Some receive all approvals in one email, some separately - a case to case basis I suppose.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
Yslandgurl said:
DM -yes Decision Made. In my case, I received AIP and OWP Dec. 31, 2013 and DM yesterday, January 19, 2014. Some receive all approvals in one email, some separately - a case to case basis I suppose.
Makes sense. My husband's med exam is scheduled for this Thursday the 23rd, so I imagine after those are sent out and their final security checks are completed then we'd receive the DM letter?

Tuesdayc

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Just had my medical last Friday and I am totally worried now. As I have both a chinese name and a first name, with the name in my passport being LAST NAME CHINESE NAME ENGLISH NAME, And all CIC documents going with LAST NAME and Given Names: ENGLISH NAME CHINESE NAME; the receptionist at the clinic got confused and was trying to argue on the first name middle name system. I was like, I always go with my ENGLISH NAME as my first name since I barely ever used my CHINESE NAME. And the worst part is, she decide that this is an issue that gave problems on identifying. And she actually put yes, as in, she had issues in identifying me. This is despite my passport showing the same names (all the names at least), same date of birth, and visitors permit showing is ENGLISH NAME CHINESE NAME.

Even the doctor was puzzled over why her assistant did that, and went on to put more clarifications in the note portion.

Does anyone know if this is going to be an issue? Like they took a photocopy of my passport, and I was wondering if they will send that in too? Hopefully they will, and CIC will hopefully match it all up!

Seriously and totally upset over a silly action from the doctor's assistant. :(

Gaur

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,

I applied for OWP at the same time with my Spouse Sponsorship Application in November.

Can you tell me how soon will she gets the Work Permit ? (as she has started applying for jobs)

Is it possible for her to get the OHIP after getting the work permit or do we have to wait till PR?

Please let me know.

Thanks

bruneian

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
PCC waived, Fingerprints 06/02/14
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 10, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 2, 2014 (AIP)
AOR Received.
Aug 3, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 26, 2014 (DM)
LANDED..........
July 15, 2014 in Edmonton
Tuesdayc said:
Just had my medical last Friday and I am totally worried now. As I have both a chinese name and a first name, with the name in my passport being LAST NAME CHINESE NAME ENGLISH NAME, And all CIC documents going with LAST NAME and Given Names: ENGLISH NAME CHINESE NAME; the receptionist at the clinic got confused and was trying to argue on the first name middle name system. I was like, I always go with my ENGLISH NAME as my first name since I barely ever used my CHINESE NAME. And the worst part is, she decide that this is an issue that gave problems on identifying. And she actually put yes, as in, she had issues in identifying me. This is despite my passport showing the same names (all the names at least), same date of birth, and visitors permit showing is ENGLISH NAME CHINESE NAME.

Even the doctor was puzzled over why her assistant did that, and went on to put more clarifications in the note portion.

Does anyone know if this is going to be an issue? Like they took a photocopy of my passport, and I was wondering if they will send that in too? Hopefully they will, and CIC will hopefully match it all up!

Seriously and totally upset over a silly action from the doctor's assistant. :(
I have the same issue as I have a chinese name as well since birth. But my issue lies with CIC not the medical office so I wrote to CIC to change it in their system, which they did 2 weeks later. I also called to see if they matched my medicals with my file. The agent reassured me its not a concern because they will match it up once an officer is assigned to my case. I hope he is right. And he said it will take 30 days to receive the medicals (my DMP uses emedicals) Also, I did an upfront 5 months after submitting my app. Did you do an upfront or is this after the request for it?

Mrs_Canuck

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/04/2013
AOR Received.
16/04/2013
Med's Done....
08/03/2013
LANDED..........
12/03/2014
Anyone hear anything from CIC today? I'm getting anxious! LOL

bruneian

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
PCC waived, Fingerprints 06/02/14
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 10, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 2, 2014 (AIP)
AOR Received.
Aug 3, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 26, 2014 (DM)
LANDED..........
July 15, 2014 in Edmonton
Mrs_canuck me too!! finally CIC is moving faster than usual, they cant just stop now :p

nrajani_99

Feb 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2013
AOR Received.
25-04-2013
LANDED..........
WAITING FOR LANDING INTERVIEW
Mrs_Canuck said:
Anyone hear anything from CIC today? I'm getting anxious! LOL
i hope you hear something soon..

Yslandgurl

Jan 21, 2013
JHWife2011 said:
Makes sense. My husband's med exam is scheduled for this Thursday the 23rd, so I imagine after those are sent out and their final security checks are completed then we'd receive the DM letter?
Yes I would believe so. On my online status, they acknowledged working on my application and receipt of medical records, that was all. A few weeks after that, I received the AIP and OWP email.

For my application, I submitted the whole package including my police clearances, medical, my application for OWP and paid the fees upfront.

JHWife2011

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-3-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
23-01-2014
Yslandgurl said:
Yes I would believe so. On my online status, they acknowledged working on my application and receipt of medical records, that was all. A few weeks after that, I received the AIP and OWP email.

For my application, I submitted the whole package including my police clearances, medical, my application for OWP and paid the fees upfront.
We submitted police clearance, and the first set of fee ($500) with the application. I had gotten mixed messages on whether or not we could have submitted the OWP with the initial application, but at least its in now. We just need to get the medical out of the way this week and then we are really just sitting back and waiting after that. Its a hurry up and wait process lol.

corbs

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2013
AOR Received.
02-04-2013
Med's Done....
20-12-2013
Gaur said:
Hi,

I applied for OWP at the same time with my Spouse Sponsorship Application in November.

Can you tell me how soon will she gets the Work Permit ? (as she has started applying for jobs)

Is it possible for her to get the OHIP after getting the work permit or do we have to wait till PR?

Please let me know.

Thanks
You won't get the work permit until after you receive 1st stage approval unfortunately. If you applied in November this is unlikely to be for quite some time. I got first stage approval last week and I applied in March. What kind of permit is your partner currently on?