20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
computergeek said:
Here's the link I usually give people who are in BC: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Note that in order to do this you must be added to your spouse/partner's account in BC. Most other provinces permit this as well - just not Ontario or Quebec - though the rules do vary (Alberta, for example, doesn't recognize common-law until 3 years as I recall and NB doesn't generally recognize rights of common-law couples in other areas so I'm not sure about health care).
NB, and Ontario only recognize common law after 3 years.

Quebec doesn't recognize common law as a form of marriage but applies as "de facto unions", whatever that means.

BC and Nova Scotia, it is recognized after 2 years.

Alberta after 3 years however only one of two is allowed interdependent relationship is allowed. In other words, both can be single, or one is still married but to someone else in a common law. Common law is not recognized if two are living together but both are married to someone else.

This is what I gathered so far regarding common law in provincial jurisdiction.

JohnnyP

Jun 20, 2013
Toronto-->Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville--> Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Med's Request
10-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
Interview........
16-04-2015
Hey Harmin,

You have to do this yourself. Go to Profile menu and update your info.

HARMIN said:
congrats once again Guri3577
please add me on spread sheed ..thanks
CPC ......VEG
FILE SENT.......... JULY,29/2013
FILE RECEIVED ....AUG,02/2013
AOR RECEIVED ....AUG,22/2013
MEDICAL DONE ...JUNE,13/2013
FINGER PRINT......JUNE,21/2013
PCC SENT ......... JAN/29/2014
FEES PAID UP FRONT
AIP........???
DM.........???
LANDING .....??

frenchwapiti

Jan 15, 2014
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
12-09-2013
Med's Done....
with application
VISA ISSUED...
patiently waiting
LANDED..........
15-04-2015
computergeek said:
Here's the link I usually give people who are in BC: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Note that in order to do this you must be added to your spouse/partner's account in BC. Most other provinces permit this as well - just not Ontario or Quebec - though the rules do vary (Alberta, for example, doesn't recognize common-law until 3 years as I recall and NB doesn't generally recognize rights of common-law couples in other areas so I'm not sure about health care).
How can I be added to my husband's account? I have called BC health and they said i have to wait until AIP confirmation. Could I be added before that? i read the 117k pdf guri pointed and I am not sure to understand everything correctly.
Can I show the email hubby got from CIC saying that they have received my file? Would that be sufficient (plus birthcertificate, marriage certificate etc) What do you think?
Did anyone experience this before and would share this?
thank you for all your input folks.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
frenchwapiti said:
How can I be added to my husband's account? I have called BC health and they said i have to wait until AIP confirmation. Could I be added before that? i read the 117k pdf guri pointed and I am not sure to understand everything correctly.
Can I show the email hubby got from CIC saying that they have received my file? Would that be sufficient (plus birthcertificate, marriage certificate etc) What do you think?
Did anyone experience this before and would share this?
thank you for all your input folks.
Your husband's AOR email may not be enough. It doesn't provide proof that you are qualified to be sponsored as PR. Ontario had the same issue. They won't accept AOR, only AIP, OWP, DM letter. Plus the AOR email is addressed to your husband. Not to you. They will want letters from CIC addressed to you, not your husband.

Screech339

Mrs_Canuck

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/04/2013
AOR Received.
16/04/2013
Med's Done....
08/03/2013
LANDED..........
12/03/2014
OMIGOSH! Congrats Guri!

A few questions:

If a full package was sent to CIC, what would cause them to not give both AIP and DM at the same time?

And since hubby and I seem to have a difference of opinion, your landing office is the closest office within your province, correct? In our case, it would be Halifax. However, hubby seems to think that we'll have to go to the city where he first entered Canada - in his case, Montreal. Which I believe is incorrect... anyone willing to settle the issue? :p

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Mrs_Canuck said:
OMIGOSH! Congrats Guri!

A few questions:

If a full package was sent to CIC, what would cause them to not give both AIP and DM at the same time?

And since hubby and I seem to have a difference of opinion, your landing office is the closest office within your province, correct? In our case, it would be Halifax. However, hubby seems to think that we'll have to go to the city where he first entered Canada - in his case, Montreal. Which I believe is incorrect... anyone willing to settle the issue? :p
The landing office is the closest office based on the address listed in the application. So if the application says you live in halifax, then halifax will be the landing office.

Mrs_Canuck

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/04/2013
AOR Received.
16/04/2013
Med's Done....
08/03/2013
LANDED..........
12/03/2014
screech339 said:
The landing office is the closest office based on the address listed in the application. So if the application says you live in halifax, then halifax will be the landing office.
Thanks Screech, I have bragging rights now. :)

frenchwapiti

Jan 15, 2014
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
12-09-2013
Med's Done....
with application
VISA ISSUED...
patiently waiting
LANDED..........
15-04-2015
screech339 said:
Your husband's AOR email may not be enough. It doesn't provide proof that you are qualified to be sponsored as PR. Ontario had the same issue. They won't accept AOR, only AIP, OWP, DM letter. Plus the AOR email is addressed to your husband. Not to you. They will want letters from CIC addressed to you, not your husband.

Screech339
thanks Screech, I suppose I must be patient for a few more month. :(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frenchwapiti said:
thanks Screech, I suppose I must be patient for a few more month. :(
No, you don't have to wait!

As computergeek pointed out, In BC, you can have coverage after 2 months (plus the balance of the month that CIC RECEIVED your application for sponsorship).
You do NOT need to wait for AIP.

1. You simply need to fill out an application:
https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/102fil.pdf

2. Be added to your spouse's MSP

3. Provide the 2 pages from your eCas that confirms that CIC has received your application:
This is from the healthgov.bc website:

pages 1 and 2 from the CIC eClient Application Status web site showing the receipt and processing date of the application for permanent resident status
(www.cic.gc.ca; click on Check Application Status).

The above helps confirm that CIC considers the person to be an applicant for permanent resident status, and helps MSP determine eligibility and
when coverage should begin.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
No, you don't have to wait!

As computergeek pointed out, In BC, you can have coverage after 2 months (plus the balance of the month that CIC RECEIVED your application for sponsorship).
You do NOT need to wait for AIP.

1. You simply need to fill out an application:
https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/102fil.pdf

2. Be added to your spouse's MSP

3. Provide the 2 pages from your eCas that confirms that CIC has received your application:
This is from the healthgov.bc website:

pages 1 and 2 from the CIC eClient Application Status web site showing the receipt and processing date of the application for permanent resident status
(www.cic.gc.ca; click on Check Application Status).

The above helps confirm that CIC considers the person to be an applicant for permanent resident status, and helps MSP determine eligibility and
when coverage should begin.
Thanks for the info Ponga. Good to be more informed about BC health qualifications. I'm not well informed about BC health coverage rules as compared to Ontario OHIP rules.

Frenchwapiti, follow Ponga's post.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
linxord said:
1-888-242‑2100
is this the correct number for CIC Call Center?
Fastest way to speak with an agent...Press 1 wait press 3 wait press 0.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
Thanks everyone once again for all your congrats.
Cirene, I hope they sort out the issues with your file soon and give you AIP and DM together :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
NB, and Ontario only recognize common law after 3 years.

Quebec doesn't recognize common law as a form of marriage but applies as "de facto unions", whatever that means.

BC and Nova Scotia, it is recognized after 2 years.

Alberta after 3 years however only one of two is allowed interdependent relationship is allowed. In other words, both can be single, or one is still married but to someone else in a common law. Common law is not recognized if two are living together but both are married to someone else.

This is what I gathered so far regarding common law in provincial jurisdiction.
Fortunately for everyone here, CIC and CRA recognize ANY common-law relationship after one year:
(From Wikipedia):
Citizenship & Immigration Canada states that a Common-law partner refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. [9] A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people. This can be shown with evidence that the couple share the same home, that they support each other financially and emotionally, that they have children together, or that they present themselves in public as a couple. Common-law partners who are unable to live together or appear in public together because of legal restrictions in their home country or who have been separated for reasons beyond their control (for example, civil war or armed conflict) may still qualify and should be included on an application.

Canada Revenue Agency states, as of 2007, a common law relationship is true if at least one[citation needed] of the following applies: [10]

the couple has been living in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 continuous months;