+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2012

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Hello guys wanted to share with you my experience getting my health card (OHIP)

Since I got my DM last thursday 9th I decided go do my paperwork.
I went to a Service Ontario (Bayfield) in Barrie and they told me they couldn't do it but that I should go to another Service Ontario (Simcoe rd by the water front) since this one was Federal while the first one I went was provincial.
I went there and brought the email CIC send me with DM, my passport and my ontario Driver Licence. You need 2 ID docs one must have your address. and 1 doc that shows your status in Canada in my case it was my DM letter.
She took my picture and gave me a paper with all my details.
In order to get OHIP I must wait 3 months from the day I establish residency in Ontario, and even though I have lived here since Oct 2012, I still have to wait 3 months from the moment I got my DM letter, so April 9th I will get coverage and they will send me my health card around the same time.

Hope it helps someone looking for this info

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Happywife08 said:

I went to a Service Ontario (Bayfield) in Barrie and they told me they couldn't do it but that I should go to another Service Ontario (Simcoe rd by the water front) since this one was Federal while the first one I went was provincial.
I went there and brought the email CIC send me with DM, my passport and my ontario Driver Licence. You need 2 ID docs one must have your address. and 1 doc that shows your status in Canada in my case it was my DM letter.
In order to get OHIP I must wait 3 months from the day I establish residency in Ontario, and even though I have lived here since Oct 2012, I still have to wait 3 months from the moment I got my DM letter, so April 9th I will get coverage and they will send me my health card around the same time.

You seems surprised about the 3 month wait after DM letter for OHIP. I am assuming you received DM and AIP same time. Prior to getting DM/AIP , as far as Canada is concerned you are just visiting Canada waiting for PR landing. Once your DM letter came, it tells them that you are a future permanent resident and everyone, including Canadians, PRs, all must wait 3 months after being a "new" resident of Ontario. The only exception to the 3 month wait, is if the baby is 6 or 7 months old at time of applying. No wait required. I know this because my youngest daughter has gotten immediate OHIP coverage and she was 5 months old at the time. I asked them why does she get immediate coverage (not that I'm complaining). They replied saying there is an exception to newborns. They mentioned 6 or 7 months old (not sure which it is) do they make an exception to the rule.

Ayrton2012

Jan 18, 2014
Did you bring the hard copy (medical lab-test result) to Service Ontario?

Happywife08 said:

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Migrain said:
I'd like to take poll of those who have received AIP and DM within one month of one another:

1) during the process, did the applicant leave Canada to the US?
2) during the process, did the applicant leave Canada to another country other than the US?

Trying to determine if an applicant left Canada during the process and returned without being denied entry whether any foreign visits would delay the process in receiving DM (given the security checks required prior to DM).

Thanks
I received AIP and DM within an hour of each other on the same date, about 10 months and one week after submitting my app. I'm a U.S. citizen who didn't leave Canada at all during the process. From what I've seen on here, my guess about why some get DM quickly and others don't is that the longer you wait for AIP, the more likely it is that you will receive DM at the same time or soon after, ASSUMING of course that your application is complete at the time that AIP is issued.

Migrain

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
QuebecOkie said:
I received AIP and DM within an hour of each other on the same date, about 10 months and one week after submitting my app. I'm a U.S. citizen who didn't leave Canada at all during the process. From what I've seen on here, my guess about why some get DM quickly and others don't is that the longer you wait for AIP, the more likely it is that you will receive DM at the same time or soon after, ASSUMING of course that your application is complete at the time that AIP is issued.
Thanks QuebecOkie for your response (the first to my poll, yeah! posted January 16, 2014, 08:10:25 am). I'm trying to determine why, if applications are complete and fees paid, that for some applicants AIP and DM issued simultaneously and for other applicants the up to 8 month CIC estimate is the norm. Could foreign travel be the key?

In our situation, application was complete (meds, police check) and all fees paid with application. It's been 3 months since AIP without DM (understand 8 months is the CIC estimate). Wife is here on study permit, has a temporary resident permit (non-visa exempt country). During the process we traveled to US for day trips and went to Europe for 3 weeks. Never denied entry at land or air ports of entry (I understand the risk).

So just wondering if leaving Canada during the process may in fact result in DM not being issued simultaneously with AIP. Of course there could be other reasons but could foreign visits subsequent to submission of application require additional background checks that may result in the 8 month norm between AIP and DM?

Interested in others' experiences. thanks

Olaf-Van

Nov 19, 2013
screech339 said:
You seems surprised about the 3 month wait after DM letter for OHIP. I am assuming you received DM and AIP same time. Prior to getting DM/AIP , as far as Canada is concerned you are just visiting Canada waiting for PR landing. Once your DM letter came, it tells them that you are a future permanent resident and everyone, including Canadians, PRs, all must wait 3 months after being a "new" resident of Ontario. The only exception to the 3 month wait, is if the baby is 6 or 7 months old at time of applying. No wait required. I know this because my youngest daughter has gotten immediate OHIP coverage and she was 5 months old at the time. I asked them why does she get immediate coverage (not that I'm complaining). They replied saying there is an exception to newborns. They mentioned 6 or 7 months old (not sure which it is) do they make an exception to the rule.
Here, in BC, we applied for MSP and Driver License right after we got DM.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Olaf-Van said:
Here, in BC, we applied for MSP and Driver License right after we got DM.
Health care is provincially managed. Thus, the rules for BC are very different than the rules for ON. In BC, the spouse/partner of an eligible resident may be covered by MSP while the application is pending.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

SEPTSIXHUIT

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
EDMONTON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH 21/2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
AIP 22 JULY 2013
AOR Received.
07 JUNE 2012
File Transfer...
19 NOVEMBER 2012
Med's Request
22 JULY 2013
Med's Done....
09 AUGUST 2013
Interview........
18-07-2013
Passport Req..
09 AUGUST 2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13 JAN 2014
LANDED..........
13 FEB 2014
screech339 said:
Congrats on getting your PR card. I have the sheets updated.

Screech339
I did receive my DM on Jan13/2014. To day I just got my landing letter schedule on February 13/2014. WoooooWoooo Happy and THANK YOU LOAD.

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
screech339 said:
Yes I got both at the same time.. Not actually I knew about the wait since my hubby had to do it after being out of Canada for 13 years.
I was surprise one office cannot do it and another one can.

Ayrton2012 said:
Did you bring the hard copy (medical lab-test result) to Service Ontario?
I am sorry but what medical test, if you are referring to the ones for the sponsorship application not, I didn't take anything like that, they didn't require it.

Ginabean

Jun 30, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2013
AOR Received.
10-02-2013
Hi everyone, I thought this might be the best thread to ask in.

We did not submit medical with PR application but received the request for meds along with AIP in late November. My husband had them done last week and they will be sent to CIC electronically.

My question is, in a case like this, how long does it take to get DM after they receive the med report? I've looked at the spreadsheet but can't really tell. Please help with an answer if you can. Thanks! :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Congrats to over_jj on landing today and becoming a PR of Canada.

Congrats to sunsun on getting a landing date. The end is almost there for you. Congrats.

Screech339

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (sent from Calgary)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
screech339 said:
Congrats to over_jj on landing today and becoming a PR of Canada.

Congrats to sunsun on getting a landing date. The end is almost there for you. Congrats.

Screech339
Thanks Screech ! Landing interview went pretty well. We got there 10 to 9am and everything finished by 9:30am.
The agent asked me a couple questions:
1. Have you been in jail before
2. Do you have dependents

To my husband:
1. Have you been in jail before
2. Have you ever bankrupted

That was it !! Now I need to wait for PR card. :)

Tenn2NS

May 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
08-03-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2012
Med's Request
05-05-2014 (first one expired)
My wife wrote an email to our MP last night, and to our pleasant surprise a rep for the MP phoned us this morning. She said she will request info about our app to CIC in the next day or two, and that it generally takes a few days to get a response. I'll be happy to share what we find out from that inquiry. Not sure what kind of info she can gather for us, but I am quite pleased with the quick response.

She feels that the processing is going a lot slower lately, not just for us but for others as well. She mentioned the strike actions that took place a few months ago and wondered if that is affecting the timelines but couldn't say for sure.

Tenn2NS said:
She has not contacted the MP yet, but that is a good idea. I'll let her know that we should give that a try. Thanks for the advice computergeek, much appreciated.

canadianthrower

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2012
Interview........
12-02-2014
So I called CIC to see what was going on with my landing letter. I had been told before that I would receive it by the end of 2013. Which that didn't happen. The CIC agent told me that it had never been pushed through to Calgary and was still in Vegreville. So she sent through a request to push it through and tells me it could be 3 months or more before Vegreville responds. And then tells me it could be 3-5 months before I actually receive the letter because of them "losing" me in the system and not pushing it through when I got DM. The ineptitude drives me crazy! Trying to travel back to the states in July...19 months after my application was initially received. Now, it will be a close call, if CIC doesn't screw something else up.

So anyone who is still waiting on their landing letter, give CIC a call. They may have "lost" you too and need a push to resolve the issue.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Thank you, Screech339