App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Interview........
Final Interview 10-18-2013
The COPR say that it Not valid for travel.

Is that a concern?

sunbrey

Feb 18, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Interview........
Where are you flying to.

We were thinking of flying but with out the card it seems risky no?

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
The COPR and your passport (I assume you are American?) are valid for travel via personal vehicle, i.e. driving across the border. You are supposed to have a PR card for commercial travel, but I've been told many Americans travel with no difficulty. I didn't attempt it while my application was in progress; too risky for me. However, it's been almost 17 months since I've seen my family (including my two year old nephew), so I'm definitely flying back to Oklahoma for xmas this year. The worst that can happen is that they deny me boarding on the return flight home. If so, I'll have to drive to the nearest Canadian consulate to obtain a travel document. That's IF my PR card doesn't come before then, and IF they deny me travel back to Canada (when I could have easily come here as a visitor before the whole PR thing, so I'm told that's unlikely). I called CIC today, and the guy told me to expect my PR card by Friday of next week at the latest.

sunbrey

Feb 18, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Interview........
Hey QO,

Your right! Just read on the cic site that if you have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence IMM5688 and you are returning to Canada in a private vehicle you don't need your permanent resident card.

It says if you planning to return by plane train boat or bus you must apply for a travel doc at a visa office outside of Canada before you treturn to Canda.

So it doesn't seem like you have any issues there.

Have a great trip visiting your family!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Thanks! I'll have issues if I don't have my card and they deny me boarding in Oklahoma City, haha (the nearest consulate is Dallas, about three hours away). Not sure if I'll incur extra travel charges then, if they cancel my ticket or what. I'm choosing to NOT be paranoid, though. I *should* receive my PR card before I leave, and if not, I *should* be able to board a flight back to Canada without a major problem. But if all else fails...at least I got to see my family before the s**t hit the fan! ;) For a chance to have my nephew get to know his Tantie Meg again (for the first time, in his young mind), I'll deal with a lot of hassles, if need be.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
QuebecOkie said:
Thanks! I'll have issues if I don't have my card and they deny me boarding in Oklahoma City, haha (the nearest consulate is Dallas, about three hours away). Not sure if I'll incur extra travel charges then, if they cancel my ticket or what. I'm choosing to NOT be paranoid, though. I *should* receive my PR card before I leave, and if not, I *should* be able to board a flight back to Canada without a major problem. But if all else fails...at least I got to see my family before the s**t hit the fan! ;) For a chance to have my nephew get to know his Tantie Meg again (for the first time, in his young mind), I'll deal with a lot of hassles, if need be.
Only NYC and LA issue PRTDs. But you won't have a problem returning to Canada. I've NEVER had the airlines ask to see my PR card (including three trips before I received it). It's just a non-issue.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Thanks for the info! I'm often a worry wart, but I'm too excited about seeing my sis again (and so many others!) to bother worrying. We both cried when I booked my flights. She's one of my very best friends, and it's been way too long.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
HME said:
All you need to send is your info and copy of your ticket, here is what my frieend included in his email:

Subject: Urgent processing of permanent resident card Request!
To: CIC-Telecentre-Contact-PRC-CRP @ cic.gc.ca

FULL NAME:
CLIENT ID:
DATE OF BIRTH:
HOME ADDRESS:

TELEPHONE:
EMAIL ADDRESS:
DATE APPLICATION SENT:
COURIER COMPANY USED: N.A

Attached the Ticket PDF sent to me by the airline. In this PDF it shows the method of payment using my credit card ending with numbers:

Hopefult this helps and u get all done
Just as a follow up to this...

I sent a request per the above information on November 17, providing all info and a pdf of my itinerary/proof of payment for flights. I didn't hear anything. Yesterday was 46 days after landing (one day past the timeline on the website, plus I've seen others who landed later get their PR cards here on the forum), and I managed (after SEVERAL tries) to get through to CIC. The gentleman I spoke with told me that there is no way to request urgent processing of the initial PR card, which is why I received no response to my request. I don't know how true this is (we all know the Call Centre representatives have an abysmal record when it comes to accurately relaying CIC policies), but it makes some sense in light of the fact that I was unable to find any information online about requesting urgent processing for the initial card.

At any rate, after putting me on hold to check, he told me they were printing my card as we spoke, and that I should receive it next week. Hopefully he was right about that part.

And just to clarify, I'm not at all ungrateful for your help. I really appreciate you providing the info! Just sharing what I've been told.

HME

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vagreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
AOR Received.
15-01-2013
QuebecOkie said:
Just as a follow up to this...

I sent a request per the above information on November 17, providing all info and a pdf of my itinerary/proof of payment for flights. I didn't hear anything. Yesterday was 46 days after landing (one day past the timeline on the website, plus I've seen others who landed later get their PR cards here on the forum), and I managed (after SEVERAL tries) to get through to CIC. The gentleman I spoke with told me that there is no way to request urgent processing of the initial PR card, which is why I received no response to my request. I don't know how true this is (we all know the Call Centre representatives have an abysmal record when it comes to accurately relaying CIC policies), but it makes some sense in light of the fact that I was unable to find any information online about requesting urgent processing for the initial card.

At any rate, after putting me on hold to check, he told me they were printing my card as we spoke, and that I should receive it next week. Hopefully he was right about that part.

And just to clarify, I'm not at all ungrateful for your help. I really appreciate you providing the info! Just sharing what I've been told.
Im glad your card is finally getting processed after all!!
With my friends it took 5 business days to get a response.
And to be honest with you, after all the experience we had with cic agents and we know how they're not knowledgable about the whole thing i am not surprised with his respsone.

The 2 friends i reffered to are my childhood best friends who moved to canada with me, so what i provided here was a real situtation and not a story that i heard

Again, all that matters is you will finally have it :D
Enjoy your trip

Mimence777

Jul 26, 2013
I just wanted to ask if anybody would have an idea which office would be the closest to Niagara Falls, ON, that would be the one for my PR interview, and how long is the average wait to get a date for an interview in that office after the second stage approval? Just a bit impatient, that's all. Also, one more question, I got my 1st stage approval on Oct/03, and re-did my medicals on Oct/22,however the deadline given to me was by Jan/01/2014. Does anybody have experience in such a situation, how long is the wait to the second stage approval. I am being kinda worried by the fact that they changed second stage to 11 months on the system, does it mean that i need to wait for another 9 months to get the second stage? :( Thanks in advance!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Mimence777 said:
I just wanted to ask if anybody would have an idea which office would be the closest to Niagara Falls, ON, that would be the one for my PR interview, and how long is the average wait to get a date for an interview in that office after the second stage approval? Just a bit impatient, that's all. Also, one more question, I got my 1st stage approval on Oct/03, and re-did my medicals on Oct/22,however the deadline given to me was by Jan/01/2014. Does anybody have experience in such a situation, how long is the wait to the second stage approval. I am being kinda worried by the fact that they changed second stage to 11 months on the system, does it mean that i need to wait for another 9 months to get the second stage? :( Thanks in advance!
I believe you will end up at niagara falls CIC office at 4318 Portage Road.

Screech339

Annabell

Jun 27, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-01-2013
Med's Done....
14-09-2012
LANDED..........
May 19, 2015
Mimence777 said:
I got AIP oct 2 and didn't need to redo anything as they extended my medical until sept 14 2014 and have my police check already. Every time I have called since I get told they are undertaking a background check and I will have to wait until the 11 months is up before they will chase it for me! That's sept 2 2014! Very very disheartening for those of us who didn't get everything at once as it looks like we may have to wait. :(
Yours may be quicker as they requested something so they should be looking at it again on the date they gave you to submit by. Hopefully!

nataliew83

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2012
AOR Received.
24-11-2012
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Thanks Screech!!

Landing was fairly quick, there were probably 30 people there, we watched a power point presentation on being a permanent resident (the requirements, pr card) the officer doing the presentation then came around and checked the size of our photos and then waited for our names to be called by one of the officers.

I was about the 7th or 8th person, answered the 3 questions

Was my status at common law still the same? (the officer changed it and had my marriage certificate with me)
Had I ever been convicted of a crime in any country?
Had I ever been refused entry into Canada?

They voided my work permits and gave them back, checked the address for the pr card and signed the copr. I need to wait for the pr card to change my sin but that's ok and got told the pr card could take up to 8 weeks to arrive and welcome to Canada!! :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
nataliew83 said:
Thanks Screech!!

Landing was fairly quick, there were probably 30 people there, we watched a power point presentation on being a permanent resident (the requirements, pr card) the officer doing the presentation then came around and checked the size of our photos and then waited for our names to be called by one of the officers.

I was about the 7th or 8th person, answered the 3 questions

Was my status at common law still the same? (the officer changed it and had my marriage certificate with me)
Had I ever been convicted of a crime in any country?
Had I ever been refused entry into Canada?

They voided my work permits and gave them back, checked the address for the pr card and signed the copr. I need to wait for the pr card to change my sin but that's ok and got told the pr card could take up to 8 weeks to arrive and welcome to Canada!! :)
Just curious here. If the officer voided your work permits, does it mean you can no longer work until your get your PR card to get a permanent SIN? Is your temporary SIN still valid or on condition that your work permit is valid? Once work permit is void, your temporary sin is void too? Can you continue working with your temp SIN until you get your Permanent SIN?

Screech339

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
screech339 said:
Just curious here. If the officer voided your work permits, does it mean you can no longer work until your get your PR card to get a permanent SIN? Is your temporary SIN still valid or on condition that your work permit is valid? Once work permit is void, your temporary sin is void too? Can you continue working with your temp SIN until you get your Permanent SIN?
No, your temporary SIN is not void when your work permit is voided. There is no interpretation of law that can overcome the Charter guarantee here:

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
Thus, Under Charter Section 6(2)(b) you have the right to pursue gaining a livelihood. There are some restrictions to this, but I would find it difficult to believe that any rational decision maker would force the issue in the face of the Charter.