26-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2012
Interview........
12-02-2014
screech339 said:
In that case, then you have no choice but to wait. However I do find it stupid that you can go on your spouse's alberta health care as a dependent as a visitor in canada but can't get a alberta's driver licence. That's stupid. If you can get on alberta health care through your spouse, you should be able to get alberta drivers licence.

Anyway. Ontario health care and ontario drivers licence are linked together in ontario. Once I forgot my OHIP card when I went to renew my driver licence, I was able to renew my OHIP with my ontario drivers licence.

Screech339
I know. I found it quite weird as well.

@computergeek
I've looked it up and the only one's I've found said I also needed an American vehicle to insure. If you have a link or other info for me that says otherwise, I would very much appreciate it!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
computergeek said:
US insurance companies will issue Canadian insurance certificates to US licensed and insured drivers; this meets all provincial insurance requirements.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I had a bit of issue regarding insurance on my car in US. Because there was a lien on my car, I couldn't legally import the car into US to get states plates. So I had NJ insurance put on my car even though I told insurance that the car is a canadian registered car. They told me, no problem will still cover it. Everything was fine until I had to renew my ontario plate. Got emission test done. Went to kiokes to get sticker, it won't recongized US insurance companies. So I had to go to canadian insurance company and tell them that I "moved" back to ontario Used my brothers address, got insurance and then able to get plate sticker. Then went back to NJ.

Screech339

Deedeedar

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Med's Request
28-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
LANDED..........
30-04-2014
screech339 said:
In that case, then you have no choice but to wait. However I do find it stupid that you can go on your spouse's alberta health care as a dependent as a visitor in canada but can't get a alberta's driver licence. That's stupid. If you can get on alberta health care through your spouse, you should be able to get alberta drivers licence.

Anyway. Ontario health care and ontario drivers licence are linked together in ontario. Once I forgot my OHIP card when I went to renew my driver licence, I was able to renew my OHIP with my ontario drivers licence.

Screech339
@Screech339

I live in Calgary, Alberta. I have some questions for you. How can I get on my spouse's alberta health care as a dependent as a visitor in Canada?

I used to have Alberta Health Care Card 3 months after I arrived with tourist visa but when I applied my PR, my tourist visa expired and I couldn't be able to extend. They said I have to wait till I got the AIP (right now my common-law husband paid for my travel insurance for 3 months already). :(

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Deedeedar said:
@ Screech339

I live in Calgary, Alberta. I have some questions for you. How can I get on my spouse's alberta health care as a dependent as a visitor in Canada?

I used to have Alberta Health Care Card 3 months after I arrived with tourist visa but when I applied my PR, my tourist visa expired and I couldn't be able to extend. They said I have to wait till I got the AIP (right now my common-law husband paid for my travel insurance for 3 months already). :(
I'm in the same boat. My ab health card ran out just before we applied so now we are paying a lot for a health insurance. Can't wait for AIP!!! Got a few things I need to take care of...

niks1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2014
canadianthrower said:
Unfortunately, Alberta seems to have different rules on the drivers license.
According to the website:
"In order to obtain an Alberta driver's licence or identification card, you must provide proof that you are lawfully entitled to reside in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card, Citizenship Card, Canadian Passport) and proof that you are an Alberta resident (i.e. utility bills or other statements mailed to your Alberta address)." Reading further they also accept OWP. So I'm stuck at the moment until AIP and OWP come in.
Hi canadianthrower,

I moved to Edmonton,AB in Feb 2013 and I got insured on my vehicle (Canadian Insurance company) which I got with me to Canada from Texas. I had to provide the insurance company in Alberta with proof of insurance from US. I also provided them with my DMV records and I got a pretty decent deal on insurance from this company. Also, I exchanged my Texas Drivers Lic for Alberta lic. Please note I am on visitors visa awaiting my PR and OWP. You can get your US drivers license exchanged on visitors visa, as long as your visitor visa is valid for 6 months. There are very few registries that understand this rule. Make sure you have your DMV records and proof of insurance from US (even if it has expired since now you live in AB).

If you are in Edmonton, let me know and I can provide you with the name of registry I used for getting my drivers license.

Hope this helps.

good luck,
Niks1

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Deedeedar said:
@ Screech339

I can't help you with the alberta health card issues as I am not familar with it. Only just discovering that some are able to get on it as a visitor. From what I have gathered and understood, alberta health care can cover you as a dependent of a spouse as a visitor initially including the extension. However once the extension expires, your coverage won't be valid anymore and you will not be able to be covered under spouse work benefits either.

As to how to get on the alberta health care, I can't help you with that. Someone more experienced with alberta health care may be able to help you with that.

Screech339

tommyp

Nov 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2012
AOR Received.
Sep 6 , 2012
Med's Request
Done before requested
Med's Done....
Jan 30, 2012
LANDED..........
August 29,2013
had landing appointment this morning for 8:15 was last to be call then due to error on behalf of cic had to hang around Montreal until 1:15pm go to another immigration building and due to the error, immigration tells me that i will have to wait for permanent resident card to file for a sin card but in all im glad that i was able to land .......

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
tommyp said:
had landing appointment this morning for 8:15 was last to be call then due to error on behalf of cic had to hang around Montreal until 1:15pm go to another immigration building and due to the error, immigration tells me that i will have to wait for permanent resident card to file for a sin card but in all im glad that i was able to land .......
Tommyp,

Glad you were able to land despite the setback in errors on CIC's part. At least you were able to land. You didn't get rescheduled for a later date. This happened to another person. Despite the person's efforts to inform CIC incorrect name repeatedly, even on day of landing. At landing, they finally corrected the name mispelling but unfortunately had to come back the next day to allow the system to update the change before completing the landing.

Screech339

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Hi screech339! I was wondering if you could help us out with an similar issue we both have. I have a feeling we don't need to extend our stay or restore it but if you know anything about it id really appreciate if you could help us clearify it :)

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/restoration-of-status-while-waiting-for-aip-t163164.0.html

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
niks1 said:
Hi canadianthrower,

I moved to Edmonton,AB in Feb 2013 and I got insured on my vehicle (Canadian Insurance company) which I got with me to Canada from Texas. I had to provide the insurance company in Alberta with proof of insurance from US. I also provided them with my DMV records and I got a pretty decent deal on insurance from this company. Also, I exchanged my Texas Drivers Lic for Alberta lic. Please note I am on visitors visa awaiting my PR and OWP. You can get your US drivers license exchanged on visitors visa, as long as your visitor visa is valid for 6 months. There are very few registries that understand this rule. Make sure you have your DMV records and proof of insurance from US (even if it has expired since now you live in AB).

If you are in Edmonton, let me know and I can provide you with the name of registry I used for getting my drivers license.

Hope this helps.

good luck,
Niks1

Please let me know this! I am in Sherwood Park and I went to both registries when my husbands IEC visa expired. They had his drivers license expire the same day. He is insured as a driver on my insurance plan and they would not extend his licence or give another one even with his 6 month visitor visa in his passport because they said they do not give drivers licences to visitors.

CANUSA31

Star Member
Dec 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
05-01-2013
@ Becki567, I'm from Sherwood Park too!! All the best with getting a new license for your husband.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
CANUSA31 said:
@ Becki567, I'm from Sherwood Park too!! All the best with getting a new license for your husband.
I grew up here! Small world and thank you! That post has made me so excited. Just to be able to send him for milk or to pick up the children would be fantastic!

Miminnie

Nov 21, 2012
Hey guys,

I believe this must be a great news for Oct 2012 applicant waiting for AIP... I just got an email of first stage approval! They are finally issuing AIP! Hopefully more AIPs will be coming in soon.

Just FYI, my documents were received Oct 9, 2012. Screech, it would be great if you could update the spreadsheet to Aug 29, 2013 for my AIP.

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
Miminnie said:
Hey guys,

I believe this must be a great news for Oct 2012 applicant waiting for AIP... I just got an email of first stage approval! They are finally issuing AIP! Hopefully more AIPs will be coming in soon.

Just FYI, my documents were received Oct 9, 2012. Screech, it would be great if you could update the spreadsheet to Aug 29, 2013 for my AIP.
Hi Miminnie!

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy to hear your news! :D :D I hope you get OWP and DM soon! ;)

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE people are getting AIP's now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!