20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck2k said:
I was told PR Card is the only acceptable form of ID for travelling purposes.
The PR card may be the only "official" form of ID. But I still think COPR is acceptable. You can always ask the CIC agent whether you can travel outside of Canada while waiting for PR card to be sure. It is possible that COPR is acceptable between US or st peirre and canada only.

Screech339

gjfst

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
London , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
The PR card may be the only "official" form of ID. But I still think COPR is acceptable. You can always ask the CIC agent whether you can travel outside of Canada while waiting for PR card to be sure. It is possible that COPR is acceptable between US or st peirre and canada only.

Screech339
If you leave canada in a private vehicle than you can use you COPR at the border.
If you leave the country on a commercial vehicle such a bus,train, airplane than you need to possess the PR card.
If you are from visa exempt country than it's likely that you can pass the border without any problem.
(this case is lucky because you can use your passport to get to the border, than you can identify yourself as a PR)

If your country require visa than the company who you travel with won't allow you to board the plane/train... (they can be fined if they do)
You can apply for a travel document abroad in the local visa office, but you might not get it in time.

If you are on canadian soil than you can use your COPR.

This is an older source, but i heard the same before...
http://info.lawyershop.ca/archives/2006/11/13/traveling-without-pr-card-possible/

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
gjfst said:
If you leave canada in a private vehicle than you can use you COPR at the border.
If you leave the country on a commercial vehicle such a bus,train, airplane than you need to possess the PR card.
If you are from visa exempt country than it's likely that you can pass the border without any problem.
(this case is lucky because you can use your passport to get to the border, than you can identify yourself as a PR)

If your country require visa than the company who you travel with won't allow you to board the plane/train... (they can be fined if they do)
You can apply for a travel document abroad in the local visa office, but you might not get it in time.

If you are on canadian soil than you can use your COPR.

This is an older source, but i heard the same before...
http://info.lawyershop.ca/archives/2006/11/13/traveling-without-pr-card-possible/
Thanks for the info. Quite informative. Good to know. I will look more into that to be sure.

Screech339

Robotic

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
So when the pr card comes in the mail, there's no more appointments correct? If I end traveling to the states to see family I plan on staying there for couple weeks, if my husband gets my pr card before I come back to Canada, he can mail me my pr card in the states can't he? So I can use it coming back to Canada. Well I guess ill find out for sure answers when I go in for my appointment too

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Robotic said:
So when the pr card comes in the mail, there's no more appointments correct? If I end traveling to the states to see family I plan on staying there for couple weeks, if my husband gets my pr card before I come back to Canada, he can mail me my pr card in the states can't he? So I can use it coming back to Canada. Well I guess ill find out for sure answers when I go in for my appointment too
I think that approach would work. Your hubby would have to mail it next day delievery and have it ready next day. Are you driving to US or flying? They say the card will arrive 6-8 weeks I think. I may be wrong on the timing. I still you are fine so long as you are driving.

Screech339

Robotic

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
screech339 said:
I think that approach would work. Your hubby would have to mail it next day delievery and have it ready next day. Are you driving to US or flying? They say the card will arrive 6-8 weeks I think. I may be wrong on the timing. I still you are fine so long as you are driving.

Screech339
I'll be flying to the US, I'm a cuz ten there tho, you think they would give me a hard time going back? I'm not so much worries going back home just coming back to Canada

Robotic

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Robotic said:
I'll be flying to the US, I'm a cuz ten there tho, you think they would give me a hard time going back? I'm not so much worries going back home just coming back to Canada
Citizen** lol

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
The issue is about being able to travel on a common carrier.

If you are visa exempt, the airlines don't care about your PR card - I traveled three times between landing and my PR card showing up and I never had a problem.

If you are not visa exempt, the airlines (and buses and trains) need to see your PR card because THEY get fined if you show up at the Canadian border and are turned away due to their failure to properly check your ID.

If you can reach a border crossing directly (e.g., you can drive to a Canada/US border crossing) then you don't need a PR card either.

CBSA has methods in place for verifying a PR without any documentation at all. Things DO happen to people and they lose their ID. Once a CBSA officer can confirm you are a PR of Canada, she or he is legally obligated to admit you into the country. If you were out of compliance with the residency obligation they could issue a removal order to you at that point in time, but they still must legally admit you. This is a right granted to permanent residents as part of IRPA (Citizens have a right of entry guaranteed by the Charter).

This is described in detail in ENF 4 from the CIC website.

Robotic

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
computergeek said:
The issue is about being able to travel on a common carrier.

If you are visa exempt, the airlines don't care about your PR card - I traveled three times between landing and my PR card showing up and I never had a problem.

If you are not visa exempt, the airlines (and buses and trains) need to see your PR card because THEY get fined if you show up at the Canadian border and are turned away due to their failure to properly check your ID.

If you can reach a border crossing directly (e.g., you can drive to a Canada/US border crossing) then you don't need a PR card either.

CBSA has methods in place for verifying a PR without any documentation at all. Things DO happen to people and they lose their ID. Once a CBSA officer can confirm you are a PR of Canada, she or he is legally obligated to admit you into the country. If you were out of compliance with the residency obligation they could issue a removal order to you at that point in time, but they still must legally admit you. This is a right granted to permanent residents as part of IRPA (Citizens have a right of entry guaranteed by the Charter).

This is described in detail in ENF 4 from the CIC website.
Thanks so much! This helps ALOT especially knowing you already been thru it traveling 3 times. Thank u!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Robotic said:
Thanks so much! This helps ALOT especially knowing you already been thru it traveling 3 times. Thank u!
Since it's arrived, I've never shown it to an airline (and I've been outside Canada three times since it showed up in January). But I'm also from a visa exempt country.

Liz1986

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
jenny12345 said:
Hello yes he has to come. It says so on the letter that if you are sponsored by someone, the sponsor should be with you. I read one guy here who came to landing interview without his sponsor and they had to reschedule his landing appointment when his sponsor is available to come with him
Thanks a lot!

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Ahem....Ahem....

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
My friend sunsun

Haven't u heard from your very good friend at CIC yet? Tell her that your friend, Jiggy was supposed AIP on April 26 but he's not gotten a word from them

Brandy444

Apr 4, 2013
Received a letter via email today regarding our application:

"This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The Canada Immigration Centre in SCARBOROUGH will contact you concerning your permanent resident status."

I think this is AIP & DM all in one day, right guys? I'm crying and shaking all at once! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D