20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Beninoise said:
Hello, I am a fairly new forum member and jut wondering if anyone could answer these questions for me: (CIC on phone has told me different things) And btw, I am the sponsor sponsoring my spouse from Uganda :)

1. Can the OWP be applied for only on inland apps? I was told by one CIC rep that we could also apply for it on outbound apps but two other reps said no.
2. If we apply for the inland app, can my husband still travel back to Uganda? I've been told it's risky because if they refuse him entry back into Canada, we void our app, but he has a TRV that is good for 4 years. We are just thinking, since his Grandmum has health issues and he is her primary caregiver, that he may need to go back.
3. I was also told by a CIC rep that this 4-year TRV my husband received is actually only good for 6 months at a time but there is no indication of this on the visa itself or on any document we have received. What is that all about? How sure can we be with this TRV that he'll be allowed into Canada again? He is currently back in Uganda after visiting for a month.

I am so ready to send our app away but feeling confused as to which way to go. Unfortunately for us, Nairobi has the highest processing times for family sponsorship PRV apps so either we wait 26 months in separate countries, or we try to apply inland with the hope of getting the OWP so my hubby can work and we can be together, just need assurance really that he would be able to leave and come back
1. OWP is only available to those who applied inland sponsorship.

2. Your husband is free to leave Canada. The problem arises in that he runs the risk of getting denied back into Canada. Once that happens, the inland sponsorship gets cancelled. Plus one of the requirements of inland sponsorship is that the applicant must remain in Canada during the entire process. However having a TRV and an OWP will give your husband strength in being able to re-enter Canada after a "short" vacation, like a 1 week or 2. Not 1 month away.

3. It is true that TRV are good for initial 6 months stay. However he can extend his stay in Canada a year at a time after he enters Canada. He can submit the extension in with the application.

I would advise your husband to apply for OWP with his application instead of a visitor extension. This way when his 6 month stay is up, he will be on implied visitor status until OWP comes through.

Hope this helps.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The funny thing about submitting your OWP with your sponsorship papers is that you spent $150 for OWP so you can work after getting AIP. Meanwhile you would also hope that you get DM at the shortest time possible after AIP. It is hard to justify spending 150 for OWP when you want DM a month after getting AIP. If you are going to spend 150 for OWP, you would want DM to be delayed the longest in order to justify the 150 spent. The sooner you get DM after AIP, the less it is worth spending the money on OWP.

Screech339

bethfaint

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-26-2012
AOR Received.
12-21-2012
Med's Done....
10-20-2012
LANDED..........
12-11-2013
My friend got her OWP in May 2013 and still doesnt have her PR or confirmation of it. So at least she is getting her moneys worth from the OWP.

They did ask her to send another police certificate as she is from New Zealand and the police certificates they have are from thier Ministry of Justice and not the actual police and apparently that wasnt good enough! That alsomight be part of the delay.

Does anyone know the approximate time for getting your PR once the OWP comes through and first stage approval is passed?

Jellyfishy

Star Member
Aug 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2013
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
Med's Request
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
17-01-2014
screech339 said:
The funny thing about submitting your OWP with your sponsorship papers is that you spent $150 for OWP so you can work after getting AIP. Meanwhile you would also hope that you get DM at the shortest time possible after AIP. It is hard to justify spending 150 for OWP when you want DM a month after getting AIP. If you are going to spend 150 for OWP, you would want DM to be delayed the longest in order to justify the 150 spent. The sooner you get DM after AIP, the less it is worth spending the money on OWP.

Screech339
To be fair, even a month's work will pay for the OWP (2 8h days here in BC @ min wage). And since you never know WHEN the DM will happen after the AIP I think the real thing you have to ask yourself is: Is the 150$ worth the peace of mind that I will be able to work after AIP instead of waiting for DM, regardless of how long that is?

I applied for OWP and spent the money, but I still hope that they will give me DM asap after I get AIP. OWP is just for peace of mind. I'm not even sure I will use it for more than volunteering and a bit of part time work.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jellyfishy said:
To be fair, even a month's work will pay for the OWP (2 8h days here in BC @ min wage). And since you never know WHEN the DM will happen after the AIP I think the real thing you have to ask yourself is: Is the 150$ worth the peace of mind that I will be able to work after AIP instead of waiting for DM, regardless of how long that is?

I applied for OWP and spent the money, but I still hope that they will give me DM asap after I get AIP. OWP is just for peace of mind. I'm not even sure I will use it for more than volunteering and a bit of part time work.
That is another way to look at it. It is all a matter of perspective. It is all personal choice. I would be applying for OWP too but no point in spending it if wife stays home looking afÞer the kids while waiting for PR.

If spending 150 for a peace of mind that you have option to work, does spending maybe 300 a month for private medical insurance justified too since peace of mind is important too. I mean what happened if your applicant got hurt and needs medical attention. It is hard to justify that money for insurance that could happen. After a month of no serious injury makes you wonder why spend 300/month for each month of waiting for AIP plus 3 more months on top of it. That is a lot of dough being spent.

Screech339

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
bethfaint said:
Does anyone know the approximate time for getting your PR once the OWP comes through and first stage approval is passed?
There's no way to guess. CIC states that 80% of applications receive DM within 8 months after AIP. I know there are people here that I remember offhand who received AIP in April or earlier, and haven't received DM. I received DM less than an hour after AIP. CIC (I've said it before and will doubtless will say it again) is so grossly inconsistent as to be completely unpredictable.

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
screech339 said:

Screech339
I applied for OWP with PR. If I can receive AIP and DM at the same time or so, and even if I don't need OWP any more and even if the fee of OWP isn't refunded, I don't care about it! After DM, the local office might not send a letter to me soon. In that case, I can work and I can get a driver licence, if I have an OWP.

OWP is like a kind of an insurance, to me. :p Of course, applying for OWP or not depends on personal situation.

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
Screech, the applicants in Ontario can register OHIP after AIP? If they can, is it only for Inland applicants? Or Outland applicants can register OHIP if they are already in Ontario?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Tomorisu said:
Screech, the applicants in Ontario can register OHIP after AIP? If they can, is it only for Inland applicants? Or Outland applicants can register OHIP if they are already in Ontario?
Actually both inland and outland. Inland can get on OHIP 3 months after AIP and outland can get OHIP 3 months after they enter Canada. They can't get OHIP from within canada if they applied outland. They would have to leave Canada and re-enter with COPR in passport and then land. Once they land they wait 3 months for qualifcation.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Tomorisu said:
I applied for OWP with PR. If I can receive AIP and DM at the same time or so, and even if I don't need OWP any more and even if the fee of OWP isn't refunded, I don't care about it! After DM, the local office might not send a letter to me soon. In that case, I can work and I can get a driver licence, if I have an OWP.

OWP is like a kind of an insurance, to me. :p Of course, applying for OWP or not depends on personal situation.
Depending on which province you are in, you can get your drivers licence regardless of your immigration status. My wife was able to switch her NJ driver licence for ont licence without any issues. Just pass the eye test and she got it. She got it before she got AIP.

I know some provinces won't allow it until they have proof of legally residing before allowing exchange.

Screech339

Beninoise

Nov 14, 2012
screech339 said:
1. OWP is only available to those who applied inland sponsorship.

2. Your husband is free to leave Canada. The problem arises in that he runs the risk of getting denied back into Canada. Once that happens, the inland sponsorship gets cancelled. Plus one of the requirements of inland sponsorship is that the applicant must remain in Canada during the entire process. However having a TRV and an OWP will give your husband strength in being able to re-enter Canada after a "short" vacation, like a 1 week or 2. Not 1 month away.

3. It is true that TRV are good for initial 6 months stay. However he can extend his stay in Canada a year at a time after he enters Canada. He can submit the extension in with the application.

I would advise your husband to apply for OWP with his application instead of a visitor extension. This way when his 6 month stay is up, he will be on implied visitor status until OWP comes through.

Hope this helps.

Screech339
Thanks for answering my questions, it is really hard sometimes to make sense of everything. Another question arises, if the TRV is only good for 6 months, why would they give my husband one for 4 years?

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
@Screech, Thanks for the info of OHIP.

About driver licence. In Quebec, I can't switch my Japanese driver licence for a driver licence for QC, because my status is visitor. QC doesn't accept a visitor visa. I was told that I need a work permit or study permit or PR status. :'(

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Beninoise said:
Thanks for answering my questions, it is really hard sometimes to make sense of everything. Another question arises, if the TRV is only good for 6 months, why would they give my husband one for 4 years?
The canadian TRV itself is usually valid up to 5 years or less depending on when passport expiresan whichever is less. In your case, the visa is good for 4 years but can only enter canada for 6 months stay at a time over the 4 years of your husband's visa lifetime.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Tomorisu said:
@ Screech, Thanks for the info of OHIP.

About driver licence. In Quebec, I can't switch my Japanese driver licence for a driver licence for QC, because my status is visitor. QC doesn't accept a visitor visa. I was told that I need a work permit or study permit or PR status. :'(
Like I said, it depends on each province's rules in exchanging drivers licences.

Screech339

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
um_dunno said:
:D oh, good) Thank you, wortip) Hopefully the decision was made in my favour) well, I could not imagine the grounds for rejection, but who knows..)
The decision is a positive one. If it were negative this would be a refusal letter - and refusal letters do not show up without prior warning.