Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 30, 2012
krissikris said:
Hey guys just a question, we got AIP last week and got a med request this week for my hubby, his girls who we are sponsoring as well (still in Jamaica) did their medicals but they are coming up on a year. We havnt heard weather we have to redo theirs as well. Was just thinking the other night, would they issue the girls visitor visas to comne stay with us while their permanenr visas are in process? Was thinking it is possible they could be here by the end of the year, but would be easier on them to start school in Canada in September then transfer half way through. Any suggestions?
I actually have the same question. I've asked a number of people and everybody seems to tell me because there is an application in process for immigration, a visa would be denied. We should get my hubbys AIP the end of this month, and would love to get his son started in school by Sept. He's 15.....going in gr 11 next year so its pretty important to catch up with the high school credit program we recognize here so he doesn't fall behind at such an important period in his life! I'll be watching this to see if anyone has any other info on this! :)

Django_unleashed

Apr 11, 2013
computergeek said:
An open work permit (OWP) and a temporary resident permit (TRP) are different things. They may also have said you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which is yet a different document.

OWP = "a work permit allowing you to work for any eligible employer in Canada". Certain jobs are not open to you (e.g., jobs that might require governmental security clearances)

TRP = "a discretionary permit issued by the Minister or her/his delegate that overcomes an inadmissibility for the holder"

TRV = "a permit allowing you to travel to Canada as a visitor"

If they haven't issued the documents by the time you land, they won't do so. But it sounds like they started processing the application so you won't get the fee back. If they HAVE issued the documents, they become invalid once you land. Permanent Residents are not eligible for Open Work Permits or Temporary Resident Visas (though they CAN hold a TRP).

Thank you very much

silver_oaks

Apr 19, 2013
Finally got my landing interview letter in the mail. Interview is scheduled on a Saturday 11 May 2013. Scarborough CIC Office is open on Saturday and they do conduct interviews. Letter states that

I am pleased to advise you that the processing of your application for permanent residence will be finalized at an interview that has been scheduled for......

You must attend the interview with the following:
- Valid passport.
- Your sponsor.
- 2 photos.
- all documents issued by CIC
- Proof of TRV
- Notice of seizure form (if it applies to you)

IMPORTANT

Failure to appear for this interview may be interpreted as evidence that you are no longer seeking permanent residence in Canada an your file may be closed.

Will let you guys know how the interview went and what was asked in it.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/former-citizenship-judge-arrested-on-allegations-he-supplied-copies-of-citizenship-exam/article11685026/

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/canadas-shift-to-a-nation-of-temporary-workers/article11721139/

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-shift-in-temporary-work-by-sector/article11721113/

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/India+refuses+accept+deportation+Ottawa+born/8339064/story.html

mb112012

Mar 14, 2013
Sponsorship Application sent, still need to extend Visa?

I am currently sponsoring my husband, our application was sent in november 2012 we received the email that the CIC has recerived our application on November 28th 2012 but we have not heard anything else which I think is okay because they are only working on applications received on october 8th right now.

My question is do we have to extend my husbands visa he is currently here on a visitors visa that we extended last year it expires August 2013. Do we need to extend the visa again? and should we just stay with a visitors visa or would it be possble to apply for something where he would be able to work?

thank you in advance for your replies, everything on the website is so confusing and sometimes i feel so lost on what to do next.

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
Re: Sponsorship Application sent, still need to extend Visa?

mb112012 said:
I am currently sponsoring my husband, our application was sent in november 2012 we received the email that the CIC has recerived our application on November 28th 2012 but we have not heard anything else which I think is okay because they are only working on applications received on october 8th right now.

My question is do we have to extend my husbands visa he is currently here on a visitors visa that we extended last year it expires August 2013. Do we need to extend the visa again? and should we just stay with a visitors visa or would it be possble to apply for something where he would be able to work?

thank you in advance for your replies, everything on the website is so confusing and sometimes i feel so lost on what to do next.
Hi mb112012. You received AOR on 28th Nov. Then, I think you can check your application status on E-CAS by your UCI. Maybe it is like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Person Sponsorship Application Status Permanent Residence Application Status
Your husband's name In Process Application Received
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually we don't hear anything from CIC until we get AIP since we got AOR. But, CIC is checking your applications now, I think. Maybe, you will get your AIP around the end of this month or next month. It takes about 6 months to get AIP.

When you and your husband sent applications, did he also send app of OWP? If he did so, he doesn't need to extend his visitor visa. Because your husband has implied status now. But if he didn't so, I think he needs to extend his visitor visa.

Brandy444

Apr 4, 2013
Just an update since I know I've read questions about update/notification times: As I mentioned on Wed in the forum, we received AIP & DM on the same day. My ECAS was not updated until yesterday or today (not sure which) as I definitely checked on Saturday while watching the Leafs game. Just wanted to provide that tidbit as I know some folks get anxious that they get the email or ECAS gets updated but the other doesn't occur.

mb112012

Mar 14, 2013

Tomorisu said:
When you and your husband sent applications, did he also send app of OWP? If he did so, he doesn't need to extend his visitor visa. Because your husband has implied status now. But if he didn't so, I think he needs to extend his visitor visa.
we didnt send the OWP I guess we should of. Is it too late to send it out now?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

mb112012 said:
we didnt send the OWP I guess we should of. Is it too late to send it out now?
You can send in your OWP however it will not get processed until AIP been issued. It depends on what you want to do, if your husband is willing to wait until he gets his PR, you can apply to extend visitors visa stay. Cost 75 and they will process it when they received the application. If your husband wants to work while waiting for PR, cost 150 but it won't get processed until husband gets AIP.

If you do plan to extend visitor visa stay, get a 1 year extension. The border agent told us to apply for visitors visa extension when we submit PR papers. I asked him how long of an extension can we make. He told us to apply for 1 year extension. Not 6 month extension.

If you plan to apply for OWP, since you haven't submitted your OWP with sponsorship, my advice is to wait until you get your AIP letter and then apply for OWP online. I may be in the wrong, but I think applying for OWP online may be faster than the mail in approach. If you submit your OWP now before getting AIP, there is a chance however very small that it may get lost in the process.

In my case, since we have 2 kids at home, no point in applying for OWP if my wife plans to stay home looking after them while waiting for PR. Spending 150 is a waste of money. However I wanted to make sure my wife's stay in Canada is still legal despite government saying they can stay in Canada illegally while sponsorship is in process. We want to have a piece of mind over my wife's legal stay in Canada.

Screech339

canuck2k

Star Member
Sep 19, 2012
No one has received AIP or DM for a few days what is happening over there in Vegreville? Falling asleep on the job!

Brandy444

Apr 4, 2013
I received our landing appt for THIS Saturday in Scarborough (same as silveroaks). Has anyone on this forum tried to reschedule their landing appt? If it comes down to it, we'll bite the big financial bullet of some plans we have (non-refundable trip plan w/i Canada for the weekend) but I'm fine with waiting another month if we're able to reschedule.

silver_oaks

Apr 19, 2013
Brandy444 said:
I received our landing appt for THIS Saturday in Scarborough (same as silveroaks). Has anyone on this forum tried to reschedule their landing appt? If it comes down to it, we'll bite the big financial bullet of some plans we have (non-refundable trip plan w/i Canada for the weekend) but I'm fine with waiting another month if we're able to reschedule.
Congrats Brandy444. Why dont you call CIC toll free number and speak to someone. I am pretty sure that they would reschedule if you request them to.