+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland application, visitor visa expiery question

havocworld

Aug 24, 2018
We're currently in the process of sending application for inland Spousal sponsorship.
Spouse being sponsored is currently on visitors visa, that will expire (will be past 6m stay) in just over 2 months from today
Wondering whats the proper way to extend spousal stay while we apply, in order to have legal status.

Should we apply for
1. Sponsorship + OWP?
2. Visitor visa extension first followed by Sponsorship + OWP?
3. Travel to renew visitors visa and apply?

Or are there any better ways to avoid traveling every 6months.
Would greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions.
Thank you

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

apply for inland sponsorship + OWP immediately and at the same time apply for visitor visa extension......if inland sponsorship + OWP is received and acknowledged by IRCC before visitor visa expires.....PA will be granted implied status.......and for safety reasons, visitor visa extension if approved will keep PA in status, if for whatever reason sponsorship + OWP application is returned and you have to re-submit, visitor visa extension will help keep PA in status to get approval for OWP and implied status.

IRCC usually send acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) for inland sponsorship + OWP within 6 to 8 weeks....which is within the PA current visa duration.......and the OWP is usually approved within 4 months.

if Principal Applicant is out-of-status.....OWP will not be approved, however inland sponsorship will still be processed.

Reactions: havocworld

havocworld

Aug 24, 2018
thank you, you've explained it very clearly.

apply for inland sponsorship + OWP immediately and at the same time apply for visitor visa extension......if inland sponsorship + OWP is received and acknowledged by IRCC before visitor visa expires.....PA will be granted implied status.......and for safety reasons, visitor visa extension if approved will keep PA in status, if for whatever reason sponsorship + OWP application is returned and you have to re-submit, visitor visa extension will help keep PA in status to get approval for OWP and implied status.

IRCC usually send acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) for inland sponsorship + OWP within 6 to 8 weeks....which is within the PA current visa duration.......and the OWP is usually approved within 4 months.

if Principal Applicant is out-of-status.....OWP will not be approved, however inland sponsorship will still be processed.
should I be send visitor visa extension in the same letter with sponsorship and OWP?

Thank you

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Send Inland Sponsorship + OWP application in the same package.

Send Visitor Visa Extension application in a separate package.

2 mailing packages....(1) Sponsorship + OWP and (2) Visitor Visa Extension......they are sent to different addresses.

Reactions: havocworld

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
@Wakki, what happens in a situation when PA's status expires BEFORE AOR is granted? This is what I cannot find answer to. From what I understand, just sending off OWP + PR package and seeing it has been RECEIVED (tracking number) os not enough to get an implied status, it has to be AOR. I am afraid my wife would get a veey short extension (if any) and we will not receive AOR before that time runs out. Should we apply for another extension if first approval gave us too little?

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
@Wakki, what happens in a situation when PA's status expires BEFORE AOR is granted? This is what I cannot find answer to. From what I understand, just sending off OWP + PR package and seeing it has been RECEIVED (tracking number) os not enough to get an implied status, it has to be AOR. I am afraid my wife would get a veey short extension (if any) and we will not receive AOR before that time runs out. Should we apply for another extension if first approval gave us too little?
Do what Wakki said to do above. Mail the PR and OWP applications together, then apply for visitor extension separately. Unfortunately you'll be in an uncomfortable position of not knowing what will happen for a little while, but so long as you two have properly completed the applications and paid the right fees, it'll be okay. Keep in mind that regardless of the principal applicant's status, the PR application will move forward. Also keep in mind that if for some reason the principal applicant falls out of status, they can apply for restoration. It'll be a bit more money, and it'll delay the ability to legally work, but it is an option.

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
Do what Wakki said to do above. Mail the PR and OWP applications together, then apply for visitor extension separately. Unfortunately you'll be in an uncomfortable position of not knowing what will happen for a little while, but so long as you two have properly completed the applications and paid the right fees, it'll be okay. Keep in mind that regardless of the principal applicant's status, the PR application will move forward. Also keep in mind that if for some reason the principal applicant falls out of status, they can apply for restoration. It'll be a bit more money, and it'll delay the ability to legally work, but it is an option.
Thanks for clearing this up a bit.
We are still a bit confused what to state as a reason for extending my girlfriends (by that time spouse's) stay if we would apply for an extension after the current one expires. Would we need to mention that we are waiting for OWP to be accepted and that she is added to my PR? (Im not a PR yet, so I would add her to my file)

At the moment we aren't married yet and we didn't mention anything on our relationship in the current extension application, as we were afraid it might be a reason for them to deny it.

Would they look at any previous extension reasons when applying for a second extension? Would it look weird to them that we didn't mention anything about our relationship? And especially that we would be married straight after approval of the first extension and add her to my file?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for clearing this up a bit.
We are still a bit confused what to state as a reason for extending my girlfriends (by that time spouse's) stay if we would apply for an extension after the current one expires. Would we need to mention that we are waiting for OWP to be accepted and that she is added to my PR? (Im not a PR yet, so I would add her to my file)

At the moment we aren't married yet and we didn't mention anything on our relationship in the current extension application, as we were afraid it might be a reason for them to deny it.

Would they look at any previous extension reasons when applying for a second extension? Would it look weird to them that we didn't mention anything about our relationship? And especially that we would be married straight after approval of the first extension and add her to my file?
You need to be posting in the EE section of the forum. This section of the forum is for Canadian citizens/PRs sponsoring their family members.

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
You need to be posting in the EE section of the forum. This section of the forum is for Canadian citizens/PRs sponsoring their family members.
Our question was about a second extension and applying for a spousal open work permit while being on legal and then implied status.

I want to sponsor her inland or outland but I am afraid her time is running out while I still have not become a PR (I am a PNP PR applicant and applied a year ago) and thinking of adding her to my existing PR application IN CASE I wont get my PR before her legal status expires. I thought that process of applying for an OWP and trying to maintain a legal status in Canada for spouse added to a file works kinda similar?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Our question was about a second extension and applying for a spousal open work permit while being on legal and then implied status.

I want to sponsor her inland or outland but I am afraid her time is running out while I still have not become a PR (I am a PNP PR applicant and applied a year ago) and thinking of adding her to my existing PR application IN CASE I wont get my PR before her legal status expires. I thought that process of applying for an OWP and trying to maintain a legal status in Canada for spouse added to a file works kinda similar?
Adding her to a current PR app and applying for a spousal open work permit is completely different than applying for inland sponsorship with an OWP.

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
Adding her to a current PR app and applying for a spousal open work permit is completely different than applying for inland sponsorship with an OWP.
Oh sorry, I've been reading so much lately and got myself confused. Could you please briefly outline the differences in the process? So I would I know where I stand and what options we have.
We desparetely want to stay together and avoid being separated.
Much appreciated!