+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Application Travel Question

allison1892

Mar 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have an inland application in process for spousal sponsorship. I entered Canada in March 2020 without any kind of travel or work visa and submitted a work permit application with the rest of our applications. My work permit has been approved and arrived today.

Now that I have a work permit and will be finding a job, if I were to leave Canada to visit family in the US in June (I would be traveling with my wife), will I be able to re-enter Canada, or will they turn me away for overstaying? If that’s the case we of course will not be risking it, but it’s been difficult to find a solid answer on this matter anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have an inland application in process for spousal sponsorship. I entered Canada in March 2020 without any kind of travel or work visa and submitted a work permit application with the rest of our applications. My work permit has been approved and arrived today.

Now that I have a work permit and will be finding a job, if I were to leave Canada to visit family in the US in June (I would be traveling with my wife), will I be able to re-enter Canada, or will they turn me away for overstaying? If that’s the case we of course will not be risking it, but it’s been difficult to find a solid answer on this matter anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Are you American?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi, there is no definitive answer because every time someone approaches the Port of Entry to Canada they are subject to examination by the CBSA. Will they grill you; will they ask you anything at all; what concerns, if any may they have?

If you have a valid employment authorization then you have valid temporary resident status, so you're not an overstay. Will this help you gain entry? It's a crap shoot and likely that you'd be granted entry.., but y'know......

Inland applications have the convenience of the couple being together as the PR processing plods along, but it doesn't ensure re-entry for anyone who steps out of Canada while it's ongoing.

It's the Ministry of Irony - Permanent Residence allows someone to leave. My tip to anyone would be that if you must duck out, avoid doing it in the summer when they hire students who have never really had any authority before - they're murder.

And, welcome to Canada.

allison1892

Mar 29, 2018
Hi, there is no definitive answer because every time someone approaches the Port of Entry to Canada they are subject to examination by the CBSA. Will they grill you; will they ask you anything at all; what concerns, if any may they have?

If you have a valid employment authorization then you have valid temporary resident status, so you're not an overstay. Will this help you gain entry? It's a crap shoot and likely that you'd be granted entry.., but y'know......

Inland applications have the convenience of the couple being together as the PR processing plods along, but it doesn't ensure re-entry for anyone who steps out of Canada while it's ongoing.

It's the Ministry of Irony - Permanent Residence allows someone to leave. My tip to anyone would be that if you must duck out, avoid doing it in the summer when they hire students who have never really had any authority before - they're murder.

And, welcome to Canada.
This was very helpful. This far into our application process, I’d rather not take the risk.

Thanks so much!

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
This was very helpful. This far into our application process, I’d rather not take the risk.

Thanks so much!
You are wise. If I was similarly situated I would also get my citizenship as early as possible as it's good to have and you can kiss the Immigration Department good-bye.

Eli51

Jan 28, 2015
I am us citizen & did inland Canadian Spousal sponsorship never left once even to visit my parents until I got my ECOPR which took about two & a half years. Therefore best not to leave as there is never guaranteed reentry.