Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
29-09-2014
Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding my situation and I hope someone can be of help.

I am Canadian and my husband (Chilean) and our son have been living in Chile for the past 5 years. We would like to move to Canada at the end of 2014 however my husband will be entering as a tourist. We decided not to apply for the PM from Chile as the processing times have risen to 22 months and we don't want to wait that long.

Ideally I would like to have our application ready to be sent to CIC the moment we arrive in Canada, however I will most likely be unemployed due to just arriving. I know this is unfavorable, however I think it would be best to apply immediately rather than wait until I find a permanent job. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Can I send in complementary documents once I'm employed showing how I'll be able to support my family? We will be staying with family until we get on our feet and also have savings that I can show for. Is it probably that i will be denied as a sponsor because of being temporarily unemployed?

Also, all of our supporting documents will be from Chile, such as my employment history, financial information, medical, etc. Is this ok?

The other option is to apply now from Chile, and then my husband can come "visit" us in Canada once we move in December, but this isn't ideal as it would take close to 2 years for the PR to be approved..

Any help is much appreciated! The situation is a little overwhelming and I want to make sure I'm making the correct decisions.

Thanks!

Tricia

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Hi Tricia,

Tricky one, I see the applications times for outland and inland (given you are in Chile) are roughly the same so it probably wouldnt make that much of a difference however, if you decide to move and arrive in Canada with the intention of doing an inland application with all your belongings, son and husband I believe he would run the risk of being refused entry given he would only be permitted on a visitor visa and you might raise some suspicions, especially if you dont have a return ticket or any application in process. Although there is no financial requirements for sponsorship but you do need to show you can support your husband so having some savings or help from family as you said would really help.

There are various different ways you could go about it but I dont think the most sensible option would be just to turn up at the border bags packed, no application or return ticket. I have read a few stories of people who have applied outland and then returned to Canada to wait it out and have been honest with immigration on arrival and have been allowed entry, but it seems to be dependant on the officer you get on the day.

Maybe some others with more experience could help out I'm only going on some of the other stories I've read. Also if your son wasnt born in Canada you need to get him citizenship as well.

Bruce.

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
Your time frames as very similar if you apply outland or inland. I am not sure how it works if you applied outland and he came to Canada, is Chile a Visa Exempt Country? If so I think he would be fine "visiting" in Canada during an outland appilcation. As to your son since you are Canadian he is also, unless you received your citizenship by parents who were both PR and not citizens. (you would have to have at least one parent who was Canadian for your son to also be.) You would need proof of his citizenship which I believe you just have to apply for, but I do not know how that works. Someone else I am sure can explain that part to you.

I do not know how it works around your moving back to Canada and not yet having a job, but from what I have read this is OK as long as you have supporting letters from those whom will help you with places to live and such. There are people like you who have spent a lot of time living out of Canada who want to return with a spouse/family and I have read that if you apply outland you have to show what you would do to find a place to live and a job but you do not have to have had a job lined up yet when you land back into Canada. Someone with more knowledge might be able to tell you more on that.

I do know that for your husband to show up at the boarder with all his possessions is not a good idea. They want to know that he will leave at the end of his Visitor status and looking like he is moving does not show them this. Now if Chile is Visa Exempt he can apply for an extension of his Visitor Status and it would almost for sure be allowed. I do not know how that works for Countries that are not Visa Exempt but I believe that could be an issue. I hope someone with more knowledge than I have helps you more with your questions.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
CMLR said:
Your time frames as very similar if you apply outland or inland. I am not sure how it works if you applied outland and he came to Canada, is Chile a Visa Exempt Country? If so I think he would be fine "visiting" in Canada during an outland appilcation. As to your son since you are Canadian he is also, unless you received your citizenship by parents who were both PR and not citizens. (you would have to have at least one parent who was Canadian for your son to also be.) You would need proof of his citizenship which I believe you just have to apply for, but I do not know how that works. Someone else I am sure can explain that part to you.

I do not know how it works around your moving back to Canada and not yet having a job, but from what I have read this is OK as long as you have supporting letters from those whom will help you with places to live and such. There are people like you who have spent a lot of time living out of Canada who want to return with a spouse/family and I have read that if you apply outland you have to show what you would do to find a place to live and a job but you do not have to have had a job lined up yet when you land back into Canada. Someone with more knowledge might be able to tell you more on that.

I do know that for your husband to show up at the boarder with all his possessions is not a good idea. They want to know that he will leave at the end of his Visitor status and looking like he is moving does not show them this. Now if Chile is Visa Exempt he can apply for an extension of his Visitor Status and it would almost for sure be allowed. I do not know how that works for Countries that are not Visa Exempt but I believe that could be an issue. I hope someone with more knowledge than I have helps you more with your questions.
Someone with a visitor visa can apply for an extension just like anyone from a visa exempt country.

Since Chile is almost 2 years, yo might be better off applying inland, so then your spouse can work after first stage approval (about 12 months) if you submit an OWP. Before making the final decision for inland or Outland (does your spouse have a visitor visa already? If not, then the choice might be made for you...) check the real processing time for Chile. It might say 24 months, but how quickly are people really being processed. Check on the Chile thread and I'm sure people there will have a better idea. I know my husband's visa office was listed as 14 months and he was processed from start to finish in 3 months... Big discrepancy, so ask around first.

You can show old pay stubs, savings, etc to show you can financially support your husband. I was unemployed, since I had just moved back after 3 years of living in my husband's country. I also didn't hav savings, due to very poor salary there, but had my parents write a letter of support sayig we could live with them.

tricia-chile

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
Santiago, Chile
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
29-09-2014
Thank you all for the responses!

My husband has a visitor visa which is valid until 2017 and has been to Canada multiple times, we also plan on purchasing a round trip ticket so it doesn't look like he's planning to stay in Canada. Having a lot of luggage may be an issue, I'm not sure how to get around that though.. We could fly on different flights and he will enter alone with a return ticket and say he's just staying for the holiday season. I don't want to lie but I definitely want to avoid the possibility of him getting denied entry.

My son has his Canadian Citizenship and a passport, so that's not an issue :)

The main reason we want to apply inland vs outland is so that my husband can work after the first stage of the application is approved (12 months). I have a friend in the same situation (Chilean husband and baby), and their outland application took 24 months from start to finish..

It's good to know that I can show previous employment history, I guess it will show that I at least have some earning potential. I'll also make sure we have letters from family stating that will be living with them. Since it takes 12 months for the first stage to be approved, is it possible to send in my employment information once I start working? I'm hoping I'll find a job within the first few months of arriving to Canada.

Again, than you for all the help!

Tricia

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
tricia-chile said:
Thank you all for the responses!

My husband has a visitor visa which is valid until 2017 and has been to Canada multiple times, we also plan on purchasing a round trip ticket so it doesn't look like he's planning to stay in Canada. Having a lot of luggage may be an issue, I'm not sure how to get around that though.. We could fly on different flights and he will enter alone with a return ticket and say he's just staying for the holiday season. I don't want to lie but I definitely want to avoid the possibility of him getting denied entry.

My son has his Canadian Citizenship and a passport, so that's not an issue :)

The main reason we want to apply inland vs outland is so that my husband can work after the first stage of the application is approved (12 months). I have a friend in the same situation (Chilean husband and baby), and their outland application took 24 months from start to finish..

It's good to know that I can show previous employment history, I guess it will show that I at least have some earning potential. I'll also make sure we have letters from family stating that will be living with them. Since it takes 12 months for the first stage to be approved, is it possible to send in my employment information once I start working? I'm hoping I'll find a job within the first few months of arriving to Canada.

Again, than you for all the help!

Tricia
Once cic acknowledges that they have received your application (I believe this might take about 5 months or so) then you will be able to send updated employment info since they will be able to attach the information to the file. If you haven't received acknowledgement , then they won't be able to match it up.

cotealarcon

Oct 14, 2015
Hi tricia! I'm maria jose, I guess you can tell by my name that I am not the canadian citizen here haha. I'm chilean soon to be married.
It's been kind of hard to find chilean-canadien couple. So I was wondering if you would be willing to share your experience and perhaps give me some tips?
I would really really appreciate it.

this is my email: cotealarcon28@gmail.com