+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Application - Expiring Visitor visa and OWP

Drax88

Dec 7, 2015
Hello, my fiance and I will be submitting or inland sponsorship application within thew next few days. She was here on a study visa and changed to a visitors visa. Her visitors visa is set to expires very soon. We will be submitting out application right before her status expires.

We are aware that you have to be in status to apply for an open work permit, but is it still valid if the initial application is done while in status but her visa expires while waiting for the application to process? Should we attempt to extend her visa a second time to keep her in status while we wait for the owp and sponsorship visas to process?

Thank you for any help or guidance.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello, my fiance and I will be submitting or inland sponsorship application within thew next few days. She was here on a study visa and changed to a visitors visa. Her visitors visa is set to expires very soon. We will be submitting out application right before her status expires.

We are aware that you have to be in status to apply for an open work permit, but is it still valid if the initial application is done while in status but her visa expires while waiting for the application to process? Should we attempt to extend her visa a second time to keep her in status while we wait for the owp and sponsorship visas to process?

Thank you for any help or guidance.
I assume you will be sending in an OWP at the same time. As long as she is i statua when sending in the owp application, that is fine, she is then covered by implied status, as long as the OWP is not then returned as incomplete. Prkbably a good idea to apply for visitor extension anyway just in case

Shalinis0316

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Do not forget to pay $250 fee for OWP. Usually people have their files returned due to insufficient payment. And if one goes out of status and then file is returned then one cant apply for owp.