App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
joheine said:
Hi,

my application has been refused today. I would like to know about my options.
The refusal really doesn't make any sense.

I was living on a work & travel visa together with my common-law partner starting Aug 29th 2010. I was told by the call centre that if I sent in the application for permanent residency at least one month before my working visa runs out, I can stay and work under the same conditions until I will get my permanent residency. I sent my application on 28th of July 2011.

Now Immigration Canada states that they refuse the application, because we only lived together for 11 month at the date of application. That said I have now lived together with my partner since Aug 29th 2010 which is way longer than the required 12 months. In my opinion this decision doesn't make any sense.

What can I do next? To me this sounds like a true nightmare and more like a mistake from a lazy employee. I mean we have been living together for almost two years now.

Of course I will contact the call centre tomorrow, but appreciate any advice on my options!

Thanks!
Hi Joheine,

My girlfriend is in a similiar siutation as you. Can I ask what kind of visa did you receive and from what country? Is that a "Working Holiday Visa" as I have read from many different websites that it cannot be extended even if you apply for common-law. If that is a working holiday visa that you have and it had been extended, PLEASE let me know!!! My girlfriend is on a working holiday visa and I was thinking that she will not be able to work after the visa expires and has no choice but to change it to vistor visa while she stays here in canada and for us to apply. Please help.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

MisterBob

Star Member
Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
cililoca said:
Unfortunately I have to tell you that they are right, you should have waited for your 12 months. Also to apply common law you need your common law papers signed by the public notary it's not only to live together for 12 months as far as I know. They are very clear in the CIC guide, to apply you have to be living together for at least 12 months to apply, not 11. You did not meet the criteria, doesn't matter if you did after you sent your application, you have to meet before you send it. They were not lazy in this case, I know it's hard but they did their job. I am the first to jump and criticize CIC but with the information you gave us so far it seems that it was your mistake and that is very unfortunate. The only option to do that without waiting that 12 months period is getting married.

CIC is very strict and rightly so, sometimes they do piss everybody off but I think that we also have to understand that rules are there and we have to accept them, painful as it is. My application is still in process and I would be devastated should it come rejected, we put a lot of time and effort into it. I am really sorry to hear what happened to you and I hope that you can find a better option for you and your partner. Next time make sure you check and double check everything, don't assume that if you are close to a date to meet a criteria that they will be o with that, they won't. Read the rules and follow by the letter, nothing less than that!
Hi cililoca,

My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation. We have been living together since July 2011 with my parents. After that, she went back to Japan for 84 days (less than 90 days) and then return back in Dec 2011 with a working holiday visa.

Two questions:

1) Can we apply for common-law sponsorship this July or August 2012? (12 continuously months living together with a seperation of less than 90 days)

2) Can she continue working after Dec 2012 with a normal work permit till our application approves (she has a working holiday visa)?

z.yahya

Mar 29, 2012
Update

:D

Logged into my sponsors Ecas:

We received your application to sponsor X on August 23, 2011.

We sent you a letter on July 11, 2012 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

I'm so excited! Finallly!

CrazyLucy

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/08/2010
Med's Done....
24/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
07/11/2012
Has anyone ever heard of CIC going back to look into the sponsor's application before? Just curious.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CrazyLucy said:
Has anyone ever heard of CIC going back to look into the sponsor's application before? Just curious.
Yes, someone else on the forum specifically mentioned a case in which the visa office asked for a police certificate on the sponsor. In that case, the suspicion of those posting was that the sponsor might have been impacted by a rules change last November (sponsors are barred from sponsoring if they have specific types of domestic violence convictions.) So clearly, CIC can investigate the sponsor more thoroughly if there is any question as to the sponsor's eligibility to sponsor at any point in the process.

CrazyLucy

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/08/2010
Med's Done....
24/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
07/11/2012
computergeek said:
Yes, someone else on the forum specifically mentioned a case in which the visa office asked for a police certificate on the sponsor. In that case, the suspicion of those posting was that the sponsor might have been impacted by a rules change last November (sponsors are barred from sponsoring if they have specific types of domestic violence convictions.) So clearly, CIC can investigate the sponsor more thoroughly if there is any question as to the sponsor's eligibility to sponsor at any point in the process.
I had gotten my FOSS notes a while ago and where my extended my visitor's visa a IO made a note in there to 'look closely before approving the next extension because the sponsor is unemployed' paraphrasing here of course.

My sponsor is still eligible for sponsorship, but I'm afraid they would accuse him of being on welfare or something.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CrazyLucy said:
I had gotten my FOSS notes a while ago and where my extended my visitor's visa a IO made a note in there to 'look closely before approving the next extension because the sponsor is unemployed' paraphrasing here of course.

My sponsor is still eligible for sponsorship, but I'm afraid they would accuse him of being on welfare or something.
Well, a sponsor does have an obligation to convince CIC that your maintenance will not become a social burden (that's why the sponsor must sign the undertaking - but an undertaking is pointless if your sponsor can't pay it back should you require social assistance). With that said, EI payments do not constitute social assistance, but it would seem the officer had some concerns about your sponsor's ability to meet this requirement. Of course "look closely" doesn't mean "no" it just means "check into this to make sure there isn't an issue." If your sponsor is now employed, I'd make sure to point this out at the time you apply to renew visitor's status.

Good luck!

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
qw123 said:
please share your views

For all people who got their PR card recently since June is it the regular one (5 yrs) or conditional one (2 yrs)???

Is conditional residency only for outland applicants?
Is it for Applicants who are now sending in applications for processing?
HI, my husband received his card early in June, and is the regular card, due date June 2017.

vincystress

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
etobicoke
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
september ,12,2011
Doc's Request.
june,16,2012
AOR Received.
october,11,2011
File Transfer...
jan.16,2012
Interview........
june,13,2012
Passport Req..
dec,13,2012
LANDED..........
jan,16,2013
We received your application for permanent residence on October 11, 2011.

We started processing your application on January 6, 2012.

We transferred your application to the CIC Etobicoke office on January 10, 2012. The CIC Etobicoke office may contact you.

i had an interview on the 13th of june 2012

on the 14th of june 2012 i got aip

16th of june 2012 letter for police clearance from my country

have since sent it in they also asked for 490 for landing fee is it normal that my secound stage takes this long or should i be worried please help me i have since faxed it in to my cic officer he had given me his personal fax number

CrazyLucy

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/08/2010
Med's Done....
24/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
07/11/2012
computergeek said:
Well, a sponsor does have an obligation to convince CIC that your maintenance will not become a social burden (that's why the sponsor must sign the undertaking - but an undertaking is pointless if your sponsor can't pay it back should you require social assistance). With that said, EI payments do not constitute social assistance, but it would seem the officer had some concerns about your sponsor's ability to meet this requirement. Of course "look closely" doesn't mean "no" it just means "check into this to make sure there isn't an issue." If your sponsor is now employed, I'd make sure to point this out at the time you apply to renew visitor's status.

Good luck!
They have since given me my work permit. When they made that note it was for a previous visitor's visa, so I assume I satisfied the next IO of my funds. I am going to have to renew my work permit in November, which shouldnt have an issue because I now have my own income.

anna0828

Jul 11, 2012
Here's my timeline:

November 2010 - received application
December 2010 - started processing of papers
October 2011 - sponsorship approved / applied for open work permit
December 2011 - open work permit received
July 2012 - received confirmation letter saying processing of papers is already completed

Now, I'm still waiting for my local immigration office to contact me so I can book an appointment to pay for the landing fee, they said within 8 weeks from July 4th, hopefully sooner because I just can't wait to see my daughter (she's also included in the application but she's in the Philippines still).

By the way, does anybody know what happens next after I pay the landing fee, do I just wait for my PR card or is there any other more things that has to be done before the visas will be issued?

waiting mode^__*

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21, 2011 AIP & WP.... March 19, 2012
Doc's Request.
PCC - March 19, 2012
Med's Request
March 19, 2012
Med's Done....
April 21, 2012
LANDED..........
July 26, 2012
hi kabayan. halos sabay ang DM ntin. Saan ang landing office mo?

waiting mode^__*

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 21, 2011 AIP & WP.... March 19, 2012
Doc's Request.
PCC - March 19, 2012
Med's Request
March 19, 2012
Med's Done....
April 21, 2012
LANDED..........
July 26, 2012
sa alberta din ako, edmonton nga lang. 8 weeks pala sa Calgary, dito kasi 4 to 6 weeks di nman masyado iba ang difference. July 9 DM ko sabi call centre agent before Aug. 20 daw. kaw siguro before sept. 5.

anna0828

Jul 11, 2012
waiting mode^__* said:
sa alberta din ako, edmonton nga lang. 8 weeks pala sa Calgary, dito kasi 4 to 6 weeks di nman masyado iba ang difference. July 9 DM ko sabi call centre agent before Aug. 20 daw. kaw siguro before sept. 5.
So pano daw ba yun, babayad lang ng landing fee tapos hintay na lang ng PR card? Kasama din kasi sa application namin daughter ko so dalawa hinihintay ko, pr ko saka iissue visa niya. Sabi nila once bayad na sasabihan nila manila office na pwede na iissue visa.

Sabi din sakin within 8 weeks kaya sana wag na umabot ng 8 weeks, gusto ko na makauwi ulit satin eh nakakamiss.