Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/18/2011
AOR Received.
04/12/2011
How you all are filing your tax for the year 2011 after getting First stage approval/SIN number? Are we considered as Resident and entitled for tax credit?

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
missha said:
How you all are filing your tax for the year 2011 after getting First stage approval/SIN number? Are we considered as Resident and entitled for tax credit?
Hey Missha,

I've looked into this, as I'm sponsoring my wife. She can't get a SIN yet (As far as I know...), as she doesn't have AIP.. But I believe that if you do have a SIN, or can get a temporary SIN, you should file your taxes, even if you have no income for the year.

I had bookmarked this Revenue Canada site [Newcomers to Canada], from when I was searching for information: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nwcmr-eng.html

Here is a line from it that may clear things up:

Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive the following payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.

1. the GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax);
2. Canada Child Tax Benefit payments; and
3. provincial or territorial tax credits.

The page also gets into the definition of a 'Resident', for tax purposes.

Hope that helps a bit!

Dorina

Apr 5, 2011
Montreal,Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/31/2011
Interview........
March 21, 2012
LANDED..........
March 21, 2012 :)
Hey guys,

Another update. I've got my interview date. It's March 21st at 10:15 in Montreal. Anyone else have the same date?
Good luck to everyone.

Berber_amazigh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys

I was wondering what is the best way to file taxes as married or single?
and what is the best company HR block or Softron or some other companies!!/
Thanks in advance

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Berber_amazigh said:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
File as married, in Canada you go not choice, you must report your spouse’s income and your marital status correctly on your tax return... HR Block takes a pourcentage from your return if any... I would suggest to do it yourself, it is easy if you buy the software and follow instructions...

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
Berber_amazigh said:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
Exactly what Canadiancitizen stated above.. And a bonus is that you get a nice tax break if your spouse didn't work at all, which is the general case with our spousal-class immigration anyways. So ya, make sure you mark yourself down as married.

Turbotax is some pretty good online software that I use to do my taxes, but I'm sure there are lots of products you could use if you wanted to try it without HR Block, etc...

Berber_amazigh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiancitizen said:
File as married, in Canada you go not choice, you must report your spouse's income and your marital status correctly on your tax return... HR Block takes a pourcentage from your return if any... I would suggest to do it yourself, it is easy if you buy the software and follow instructions...
Thank u so much for your advice!

finebaby

Dec 19, 2011
missha said:
Hey finebaby, I just added you to the chart. :) Sorry for delay. :)
thanks misha....... you have bn an awesome help to the forum , please dont go away so fast. we still want u around. i hope u feel very well now. take good care of yourself

akinmike

Sep 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
citlali2010 said:
Today I received a letter in the mail from CIC requesting more information, about a Common-Law relation that I had before marrying and meeting my husband. I already sent the information requested this same afternoon. I can now log on as a sponsor,on ECAS. In both my ECAS and in my husbands, both are in process.Here are the dates.

We received your application to sponsor XXXX on March 28, 2011.

We started processing your application on February 25, 2012.

So this means , the waiting game goes on...

Hi Have you called CIC to check if they receive your ducument. Mine additional doc was sent a week ago and it was delivered last friday. I am watting for the ECAS to be updated.

Please keep me informed

ericc

Sep 21, 2011
missha said:
confusedone,

dont worry, You are in same situation like me. They sent me a letter about police certificate and also that i have met eligibility requirement for PR and to my husband approved as sponsor. Which country they asked for your police cert.
@ Missha;
I am wondering whether you have already got the work permit?

Canada1984

Feb 10, 2012
Missha,

My application was transfered to CIC local office in London, ON on March 3rd. I will let you know when I hear something from them. Thought this would be helpful to your sheet.

missha

Jan 29, 2011
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/18/2011
AOR Received.
04/12/2011
finebaby said:
thanks misha....... you have bn an awesome help to the forum , please dont go away so fast. we still want u around. i hope u feel very well now. take good care of yourself
No no no... I wont go away..somewhere down the line i feeel responsible for the chart and so many new people joining us..so i feel the responsible for this thread as well.. I wont go away till we finish 2011..it was weird how i got sick right afterr aip... I think i was really stressed... I am back to normal with all my energy...:d

missha

Jan 29, 2011
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/18/2011
AOR Received.
04/12/2011
ericc said:
@ Missha;
I am wondering whether you have already got the work permit?
I filed for owp when i filed for immigration. I knew from the start that since i cant get my police cert from singapore n i need appeal letter from cic for that.. They would put me in 2nd stage..so they issued me owp alongwith aip. I just got my sin number.

missha

Jan 29, 2011
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/18/2011
AOR Received.
04/12/2011
Canada1984 said:
Missha,

My application was transfered to CIC local office in London, ON on March 3rd. I will let you know when I hear something from them. Thought this would be helpful to your sheet.
I will update it tommorow... Btw..london shouldnt take tht long.