+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Initial Settlement Cost

eses66

Oct 30, 2015
1. What is the range of initial settlement cost for a family of two (no kids)?

2. What are the essential products+services that must be purchased immediately after landing?

3. Is advance rent payment a must for renting a house? What is the average advance amount (in terms of no. of months)?

4. Before getting a job, it is difficult to know where to settle. Is airbnb-ing a better option till then? What might be the pros and cons of airbnb-ing for long period say 2-3 months?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2) Probably bus tickets/taxi fares/accomodation
3) Yes, you need to pay a secuity fee and the month rent upon signing the lease. Average payment depends which city
4) for two-three months, you can consider short term apartments

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know in Ontario you can't ask for a security deposit but expect to be asked to pay first and last month's rent (2 months) upfront and most landlords will want a 1 year lease. Finding somewhere to stay will be your largest cost. In larger cities if you have the ability to wait until you get a job before signing a lease might saving you time and money when it comes to your daily commute. Also will be much easier to sign a lease with a job unless you have significant savings.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Your questions have many answers and will significantly depend on who you are and what type of lifestyle you live.

If you are able to find work easily and depending on the city you live in initial cost will be anywhere between $4 - $10k (comfortable margin).

It takes at least a year, sometimes longer to figure out a new place. Renting a place short term will likely prove less expensive than airbnb and is usually available on very short notice. I guess it depends on available cash and your personal needs. I settled (including buying my first home) in 2 weeks from arrival. Lived in a small city though so many things that are important in big cities did not matter to me. Public transport in most of the big cities are pretty ok but I would suggest that getting a car (cheap one to start) would be a very good idea.

Cell phone, GPS (or app on your phone with data) home, utilities like water, power, cable if you want cable tv internet, to name a few.

Good luck