+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Initial assessment complete: details/information/proof/plans as to your intent

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
I received this email today (copied in part below) and while it looks great I'm not entirely sure what to send regarding "provide details/information/proof/plans as to your intent to permanently reside in Canada" Is there a standard type of proof that they require or something more along the lines of 'I'm living at suchandsuch street with my wife and will being working in a certain field when I am able to legally work?

The request seems bizarrely vague unless I'm missing something. Any help on what they really want would be most appreciated. Thanks!

The relevant parts of the email:

REQUEST FOR DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORT COPIES

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada as a member of the family class. We have now completed the initial assessment of your application, and expect to finalize your application without a personal interview. While an interview does not appear necessary at this time, we reserve the right to call you to an interview, should this become necessary at some future stage in processing.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE PROCEEDING FURTHER. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE FINALIZED BY THE CASE PROCESSING PILOT – OTTAWA (“CPP-O”).

In order to continue processing your application, the following is required:
Ø COPY OR SCANNED IMAGE of your passport and passports of your accompanying family members, as noted below.

Ø Please provide details/information/proof/plans as to your intent to permanently reside in Canada

Please note:

All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
It almost sounds to me like they think you and your sponsor are BOTH outside Canada. If true, I understand this line of questioning is normal. May we all know, is that the case?

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
truesmile said:
It almost sounds to me like they think you and your sponsor are BOTH outside Canada. If true, I understand this line of questioning is normal. May we all know, is that the case?
No, My wife is canadian and lives full-time in Canada and I was pretty specific on the application that I am a US citizen that spends a good portion of my time in Canada but not all of it. I applied outland at Buffalo because people here told me that was the best way to go.

So this is not typical?

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
We have been recently seeing posts on these forums about CIC asking for proof of Canadian residence (or plans), but it had appeared that these were all cases where the Sponsor was living outside Canada (or was at the time of application). I think yours is the first we've seen where the Sponsor has been living in Canada the whole time.

I'm wondering if this is something new that will be required of everyone?

In any case, I would provide them with whatever you can.... copies of any job applications or inquires? moving estimates? letter from your Sponsor's family/friends that they are expecting you/will be happy to assist with your settlement? maybe a letter from your family/friends/employer that they are aware of your move plans? if you have made any other inquiries by email to schools/services/etc. in Canada you could print those as well.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
IslandAnnie said:
We have been recently seeing posts on these forums about CIC asking for proof of Canadian residence (or plans), but it had appeared that these were all cases where the Sponsor was living outside Canada (or was at the time of application). I think yours is the first we've seen where the Sponsor has been living in Canada the whole time.

I'm wondering if this is something new that will be required of everyone?

In any case, I would provide them with whatever you can.... copies of any job applications or inquires? moving estimates? letter from your Sponsor's family/friends that they are expecting you/will be happy to assist with your settlement? maybe a letter from your family/friends/employer that they are aware of your move plans? if you have made any other inquiries by email to schools/services/etc. in Canada you could print those as well.
Also include proof that your spouse is in Canada, rental lease, bank information etc. They might think they the spouse isn't in Canada and got confused.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
They are looking for a plan. Lay out the basic facts as they stand now but give them a plan. Have you researched jobs in your field? Have you applied for jobs? Have you identified and/or contacted potential employers? Do you have a Provincial drivers licenses? If not, have you researched how to get one? Do you have health care? If not, why not, and have you researched how to apply once you are eligible? Do you have a Cdn bank account? Do you have Cdn credit cards? How are you going to cut ties with the States when done. Do you have a home in the US that you are selling? Do have a limited lease term on a rental in the US? Did you quit an established job in the US to come to Canada?

Give them a plan on what you are doing (or have done) to cut ties with the US and what you are doing (or have done) to establish ties with Canada.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
PerrinAyabara said:
So nobody has any info on this? Nobody has ever experienced this? Any information at all so I know what to write?
Hi,
I would suggest you call cic and ask them what is needed,sounds like they think the sponsor is not residing in Canada,maybe they have the wrong address?not sure-Best of luck though

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
If you call them, please let us know what they say. I suspect we are going to see more of these requests. I will be interesting to hear why they are wanting this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
PerrinAyabara said:
No, My wife is canadian and lives full-time in Canada and I was pretty specific on the application that I am a US citizen that spends a good portion of my time in Canada but not all of it. I applied outland at Buffalo because people here told me that was the best way to go.

So this is not typical?
No it's not typical. Its a general assumption that an applicant will naturally want to live with their spouse/partner, so this is the first time i've ever heard of this being an issue.

Did you by some chance include a relationship essay or letter or any other proofs, that said you were attached to certain family or friends in the US, or a job in the US that was super important to you, that your wife was thinking about moving to the US, or anything else like this?

The very definition of 'family reunification' says that you and your wife will naturally want to live together. So if your wife is full time in Canada and no reason to believe she will move, the VO shouldn't be questioning your desire to move to Canada unless you've said something to the contrary in your app, or as others have said they are under the wrong impression your wife is currently not in Canada.

I would just follow the advice Harju mentioned... and give them ample evidence you intend to move here.

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
Rob_TO said:
No it's not typical. Its a general assumption that an applicant will naturally want to live with their spouse/partner, so this is the first time i've ever heard of this being an issue.

Did you by some chance include a relationship essay or letter or any other proofs, that said you were attached to certain family or friends in the US, or a job in the US that was super important to you, that your wife was thinking about moving to the US, or anything else like this?

The very definition of 'family reunification' says that you and your wife will naturally want to live together. So if your wife is full time in Canada and no reason to believe she will move, the VO shouldn't be questioning your desire to move to Canada unless you've said something to the contrary in your app, or as others have said they are under the wrong impression your wife is currently not in Canada.

I would just follow the advice Harju mentioned... and give them ample evidence you intend to move here.
Hmmm... well now I'm concerned. Thank you everyone for your replies.

I can't think of a single piece of info I gave that would lead anyone to believe I wanted to stay in the US... I don't own a house, my wife's never even considered moving there. I mentioned my job where I was required to list employment but never indicated that it was in any way special or important.

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
Harju said:
They are looking for a plan. Lay out the basic facts as they stand now but give them a plan. Have you researched jobs in your field? Have you applied for jobs? Have you identified and/or contacted potential employers? Do you have a Provincial drivers licenses? If not, have you researched how to get one? Do you have health care? If not, why not, and have you researched how to apply once you are eligible? Do you have a Cdn bank account? Do you have Cdn credit cards? How are you going to cut ties with the States when done. Do you have a home in the US that you are selling? Do have a limited lease term on a rental in the US? Did you quit an established job in the US to come to Canada?

Give them a plan on what you are doing (or have done) to cut ties with the US and what you are doing (or have done) to establish ties with Canada.
Excellent advice, thank you very much. :)

PerrinAyabara

Nov 2, 2011
IslandAnnie said:
If you call them, please let us know what they say. I suspect we are going to see more of these requests. I will be interesting to hear why they are wanting this.
I'll check it out then since a few people are asking for me to call. I'll come back when I've found something out.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
PerrinAyabara said:
Hmmm... well now I'm concerned. Thank you everyone for your replies.

I can't think of a single piece of info I gave that would lead anyone to believe I wanted to stay in the US... I don't own a house, my wife's never even considered moving there. I mentioned my job where I was required to list employment but never indicated that it was in any way special or important.
I wouldn't be concerned at all. I've seen several cases where VOs go "outside the box" and request extra info that is not actually a requirement in the application package or guides. Just do your best to gather enough proofs (many have been suggested to you here) and write a letter stating all the reasons you will be moving to Canada (with the #1 reason being you love your wife and actually want to live with her!).

You are not trying to hide anything and your intention is really genuine, so I'm sure the VO will see that also.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
PerrinAyabara said:
I'm not entirely sure what to send regarding "provide details/information/proof/plans as to your intent to permanently reside in Canada" Is there a standard type of proof that they require or something more along the lines of 'I'm living at suchandsuch street with my wife and will being working in a certain field when I am able to legally work?
Yes, this is what they want. Write up a plan detailing the life you and your wife plan to lead once you are a PR of Canada. Include any proof you have of this plan.
Including details of what the couple plans to do once the applicant gets the PR visa shows two things: that the person actually is going to live in Canada; and it is also evidence that the relationship is genuine.