+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Informing the country after citizenship

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You're from Kazakhstan, right? Do they have that policy to force a large ethnic Russian population to commit fully to the country? I can understand how it would be a little destabilizing to accommodate a large chunk of people who all share the same dual citizenship; but personally, I think that it should be a right.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Yes I am.
All citizens of Kazakhstan including ethnic Russians in Kazakhstan can not have dual citizenship. Russians born and raised in Kazakhstan are very different from Russians from Russia in terms of their culture etc, of course they speak the same language. Russian is a de facto the lingua franca of Kazakhstan in addition to Kazakh language.

I agree with you in principle that it should be a right and it would have made my life much easier. Though all countries have reasons for not allowing dual citizenship. Some are stupid and some are justifiable.
In Kazakhstan's case, I would argue it is understandable. Russia can easily destabilize Kazakhstan by issuing Russian passports to ethnic Russians and claim that ethnic Kazakhs are mistreating 'Russian citizens' and send in military forces the way Russia did in South Ossetia in 2008 while the world watched. Georgia allows dual citizenship and unfortunately Russia has more leverage to interfere into Georgia's internal affairs.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:
Yes I am.
All citizens of Kazakhstan including ethnic Russians in Kazakhstan can not have dual citizenship. Russians born and raised in Kazakhstan are very different from Russians from Russia in terms of their culture etc, of course they speak the same language. Russian is a de facto the lingua franca of Kazakhstan in addition to Kazakh language.

I agree with you in principle that it should be a right and it would have made my life much easier. Though all countries have reasons for not allowing dual citizenship. Some are stupid and some are justifiable.
In Kazakhstan's case, I would argue it is understandable. Russia can easily destabilize Kazakhstan by issuing Russian passports to ethnic Russians and claim that ethnic Kazakhs are mistreating 'Russian citizens' and send in military forces the way Russia did in South Ossetia in 2008 while the world watched. Georgia allows dual citizenship and unfortunately Russia has more leverage to interfere into Georgia's internal affairs.
Kazakhstan! Kazakhstan! Ha ha ha. Are you Borat?

Anyway, enjoy the best of Borat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP-MktgOKU

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I like Borat. However not all Kazakhs like Borat.

In order to like Borat, one has to know Western/American culture and English well. They translated it and it didn't make any sense in Kazakh/Russian.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:

In order to like Borat, one has to know Western/American culture and English well. They translated it and it didn't make any sense in Kazakh/Russian.
I know a person who went to live in Kazakhstan. She has a Canadian PhD and couldn't find a job here, but she managed to get a teaching job there at a English speaking university. I think she's from Russia or from one of the former soviet bloc countries. What is it like to live there? Is it like a third world country?

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:

Are you a Kazakh or Russian?