+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information on Minor B(1) Citizenship Application

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

I hope you are doing amazing!

I have recently applied for citizenship for my child under the Minor B(1) branch that is just instated by the Bill C(6) this year.

For those who don't know, Minor B(1) is for a child under 18 who does not have a Canadian parent nor a parent applying for citizenship concurrently.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar or has been through the Minors B(1) application process?

I am quite nervous as it seems uncommon and there is not much information on the process timeline. As far as I've researched, no knowledge test or language test necessary, but there is a mandatory PI interview.

Anyone who has been through the process/ knows anything about it/ just want to give me some wholesome words of comfort would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi everyone,

I have recently applied for citizenship for my child under the Minor B(1) branch that is just instated by the Bill C(6) this year.

For those who don't know, Minor B(1) is for a child under 18 who does not have a Canadian parent nor a parent applying for citizenship concurrently.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar or has been through the Minors B(1) application process?

I am quite nervous as it seems uncommon and there is not much information on the process timeline. As far as I've researched, no knowledge test or language test necessary, but there is a mandatory PI interview.

Anyone who has been through the process/ knows anything about it/ just want to give me some wholesome words of comfort would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
I would be curious why you chose that route. Why don't you apply for citizenship, too?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
1. Pretty straight forward, the interview would be look at the passport, so with no test invite, no criminal record check, it should shorten the process somewhat to the oath.

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
I would be curious why you chose that route. Why don't you apply for citizenship, too?
That's a really great question! The answer is I am going in to in about six months, which is around eight months later than my child's application.

We immigrated as a family but I travelled a lot for work and made the mistake of not counting my days as soon as I land. So, a huge chunk of time that I stayed in Canada at the beginning of our landing is disqualified now because it is past the five years mark.

Long story short, I am not eligible yet so I decided to apply for my child in advance since she has long been eligible. She is also going to higher education outside of Canada next school year so we decided not to wait and get hers ASAP.

I hope that answers your curiosity.

Reactions: spyfy

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hi

1. Pretty straight forward, the interview would be look at the passport, so with no test invite, no criminal record check, it should shorten the process somewhat to the oath.
Thank you so much for your response!

This really assures me a bit!

I am wondering how do you know there is no criminal record check? It did request a police clearance from other long-stayed countries on the document list, the same one as the request on the adult citizenship application.

Do you think applying by herself as a minor is going to raise concerns or questions? Is this what the interview is for?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you so much for your response!

This really assures me a bit!

I am wondering how do you know there is no criminal record check? It did request a police clearance from other long-stayed countries on the document list, the same one as the request on the adult citizenship application.

Do you think applying by herself as a minor is going to raise concerns or questions? Is this what the interview is for?
1. You only need police certificates, where the minor applicant has since the age 14 has resided in a country for more than 183 days in the 4 years prior to the date of the application. For example if s/he is 16 and hasn't resided outside Canada for 183 days in the past 2 years, then no police certificate is required.

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hi

1. You only need police certificates, where the minor applicant has since the age 14 has resided in a country for more than 183 days in the 4 years prior to the date of the application. For example if s/he is 16 and hasn't resided outside Canada for 183 days in the past 2 years, then no police certificate is required.
Thank you for your response!
I am aware of this and did provide the appropriate police report.

What I am wondering about is your comment on the criminal check. Is there really no criminality check?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you for your response!
I am aware of this and did provide the appropriate police report.

What I am wondering about is your comment on the criminal check. Is there really no criminality check?
1. The Police checks you submitted cover it.