skipped
Passport Req..
09/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
18/02/2013
LANDED..........
March 2013
Landed Seniors,

Kindly help with information on Family Sponsor application.

I am so used to having Nanny/house help around me here in Naija. I want to find out if i can apply or invite my sister to help take care of my kids in Canada.

The question now is:
1. Can my sister (dependant) accompany me to canada hoping that she will help cater for my kids.
2. If yes, how do i go about it?
3. Do i have to land first before inviting my sister?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-caregiver.asp

1) No, she cannot accompany you unless she has her own Visitor's Visa (TRV) for Canada already - separately from the Live-in Caregiver Program.

2) You have to determine if you're eligible, then apply for a LMO. If you're approved for the LMO, you sign an employment contract with the LCP (live-in caregiver). Then s/he applies for a work permit. This is a simplified explanation.

The LCP must also qualify to work as a Care-giver in Canada.

3) You don't invite her. You hire her and then she asks CIC for permission to work in Canada. You must establish a residence in Canada (which HRSDC may inspect) before hiring a LCP. They have to determine the LCP will have her own bedroom (no sharing with children) and access to a bathroom with a locking door. (The bathroom can be shared with children, guests, etc but it must have the option to lock. That's normal for bathrooms, so just make sure it's in working order.) The bedroom must be legal, with a closet or wardrobe and at least one window that she can escape out of in the event of a fire (most basement windows aren't big enough).

You're going to need income before you hire her. As in, you need a job. You can't hire any LCP without a verified income.

You must pay her at least the minimum wage, give her the minimum hours, and deduct her taxes for her. You must make the tax payments to CRA. If you fail to do any of these, you (not her) will get into trouble. Also, if you fail to pay her fairly or try to dock her hours to save money, you can have your LMO revoked and no longer allowed to have a LCP. Minimum is 30 hours, which is rather light, but it must match her contract. Minimum wage depends on your province. You also must give her days off. I believe there is also a clause that you're required to give her some paid vacation, but I'm not as familiar with Canadian labour laws yet.

You sister will need to demonstrate she has proper training and/or full time, paid job experience. She will need a medical, CPR training, and First Aid training up to Canadian standards.

CIC is especially suspicious of intra-family hiring. It is possible, but they will scrunitize her application hard. You also cannot discriminate against other potential employees for a family member, so you better have a good reason you picked her over another person of same background, language ability, religion, etc with more experience/education.

Realistically, I would investigate other methods to bring her to Canada.

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
Busco said:
Landed Seniors,

Kindly help with information on Family Sponsor application.

I am so used to having Nanny/house help around me here in Naija. I want to find out if i can apply or invite my sister to help take care of my kids in Canada.

The question now is:
1. Can my sister (dependant) accompany me to canada hoping that she will help cater for my kids.
2. If yes, how do i go about it?
3. Do i have to land first before inviting my sister?
you would have include her initially in your application.though it may be difficult to bring her in because they always scrutinize family member invitation to canada.its well my sister...

Busco

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ghana
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/02/2010
Doc's Request.
July 2010
AOR Received.
Feb. 2012
IELTS Request
Feb. 2012
File Transfer...
April 2012
Med's Request
15/08/2012
Med's Done....
16/08/2012 and 2nd test done on 05/10/2012
Interview........
skipped
Passport Req..
09/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
18/02/2013
LANDED..........
March 2013
amikety said:
Read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-caregiver.asp

1) No, she cannot accompany you unless she has her own Visitor's Visa (TRV) for Canada already - separately from the Live-in Caregiver Program.

2) You have to determine if you're eligible, then apply for a LMO. If you're approved for the LMO, you sign an employment contract with the LCP (live-in caregiver). Then s/he applies for a work permit. This is a simplified explanation.

The LCP must also qualify to work as a Care-giver in Canada.

3) You don't invite her. You hire her and then she asks CIC for permission to work in Canada. You must establish a residence in Canada (which HRSDC may inspect) before hiring a LCP. They have to determine the LCP will have her own bedroom (no sharing with children) and access to a bathroom with a locking door. (The bathroom can be shared with children, guests, etc but it must have the option to lock. That's normal for bathrooms, so just make sure it's in working order.) The bedroom must be legal, with a closet or wardrobe and at least one window that she can escape out of in the event of a fire (most basement windows aren't big enough).

You're going to need income before you hire her. As in, you need a job. You can't hire any LCP without a verified income.

You must pay her at least the minimum wage, give her the minimum hours, and deduct her taxes for her. You must make the tax payments to CRA. If you fail to do any of these, you (not her) will get into trouble. Also, if you fail to pay her fairly or try to dock her hours to save money, you can have your LMO revoked and no longer allowed to have a LCP. Minimum is 30 hours, which is rather light, but it must match her contract. Minimum wage depends on your province. You also must give her days off. I believe there is also a clause that you're required to give her some paid vacation, but I'm not as familiar with Canadian labour laws yet.

You sister will need to demonstrate she has proper training and/or full time, paid job experience. She will need a medical, CPR training, and First Aid training up to Canadian standards.

CIC is especially suspicious of intra-family hiring. It is possible, but they will scrunitize her application hard. You also cannot discriminate against other potential employees for a family member, so you better have a good reason you picked her over another person of same background, language ability, religion, etc with more experience/education.

Realistically, I would investigate other methods to bring her to Canada.
Thanks for this detailed information.

I would rather have her come in as a visitor then. All this protocol is too much and i dont want govt wahala.
Though. Her name is on my form as part of my dependant/ sibblings.
Thank you.

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
Busco said:

I would rather have her come in as a visitor then. All this protocol is too much and i dont want govt wahala.
Thank you.
that is very good.i pray you settle down on time,so as to bring her in immediatelly...

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Busco said:

Thank you.
Unless her parents are deceased, she's under 18, and/or she has some type of mental/emotional illnesses that delays development, they're going to remove her as a dependant. From what I understand dependants to CIC are your children only. Even elderly parents don't count. I'm not going to argue this, just letting you know what it is.

When she applies for the Visitor's Visa, she will have to list you as a relative in Canada. Then you can invite her, offer her lodging.

However, if you have her tidying up your house and watching your kids regularly while she's visiting, CIC could consider this working. If you give her even a dollar and she's working for you illegally. If she's visiting, it best be left to visiting. (Not saying she can't help tidy up while she's visiting, make her bed, help with laundry, as a guest I even help with dishes, etc, but if she's cleaning your toilets and mopping the floor, there's a better chance that's not legal.)

The good news is in most of Calgary, you can find lots of stay-at home moms or students willing to do housework for cheap. Just remember, if you're paying cash, you still are suppose to report this to CRA (and the person you pay is still suppose to report their income. Yes, I'm aware lots of people don't :p ).

When your sister visits, she could look for someone with a LMO or willing to get a LMO to try to find a job. Don't count on this though. In many areas, LMO are few and there's many foreign workers looking for one.