+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information needed to start working for newcomers to Canada.

aiw

Jun 12, 2015
I recently got my Canadian PR. I have never been to Canada before. I was in the process of job search and hence had some questions.

>> How long after I arrive in Canada can I start working? When apply for jobs in Canada, can I plan to star working in Canada as soon as I land?
>> Should I mention in my resume that I had just received my PR, and yet to get my government issued cards?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
aiw said:
I recently got my Canadian PR. I have never been to Canada before. I was in the process of job search and hence had some questions.

>> How long after I arrive in Canada can I start working? When apply for jobs in Canada, can I plan to star working in Canada as soon as I land?
>> Should I mention in my resume that I had just received my PR, and yet to get my government issued cards?
You can start working as son as you arrive, or rather as soon as you secure a job. I wouldn't bother mentioning anything about your PR on your resume, and would definitely not mention anything about your yet to be received PR Cards. Employers can easily check your status using your SIN number.

Good luck!

aiw

Jun 12, 2015
Do you mean I should not give my SIN number when I get the job?

In my visa arrival sticker I don't see any SIN number. How long does it take to get a SIN number once I apply for PR card? Don't I need a SIN number before I start working?

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
You can sometimes get your SIN number straight away depending on what airport you land at - Pearson airport has a Service Canada location in the airport but its not always open. Otherwise after you have landed you need to go to a Service Canada location with your documents and they will provide you with a SIN number on the spot.

And yes you do need to provide your employer with your SIN number.