+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about PGWP(Post Graduate Work Permit)

almaycuerpo

Mar 4, 2024
Hello folks,

I am writing to provide an update regarding my student visa status for the Master of Science in Cybersecurity program at New York Institute of Technology. Although my visa application was accepted on January 4th, I encountered delays in registering for classes due to my passport being sent for counterfoil processing. As a result, I opted to defer my enrollment to the May intake, during which I obtained a new Letter of Acceptance (LOA) and promptly informed the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of this change.

Unfortunately, unforeseen personal obligations have arisen, necessitating a further deferral of my studies to the September intake. In light of this decision, I am seeking clarification on recent policy updates that may impact my eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) upon completion of my program.

Could you kindly review the new regulations outlined below and advise on whether I would still qualify for the PGWP if I proceed with my studies commencing in September? Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

In order to better align the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, we are changing the eligibility criteria:

• Starting September 1, 2024, international students who begin a study program that is part of a curriculum licensing arrangement will no longer be eligible for a postgraduation work permit upon graduation. Under curriculum licensing agreements, students physically attend a private college that has been licensed to deliver the curriculum of an associated public college. These programs have seen significant growth in attracting international students in recent years, though they have less oversight than public colleges and they act as a loophole with regards to post-graduation work permit eligibility.
  • Graduates of master’s degree programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. Under current criteria, the length of a postgraduation work permit is based solely on the length of an individual’s study program, hindering master’s graduates by limiting the amount of time they have to gain work experience and potentially transition to permanent residence.