Jan 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
20-04-2017
Hi all
My wife, daugther and I will move to Toronto in September when the child wil be 5 months old.
My wife and I are PR, but the child was born abroad so we will submit the sponsership papers when we get there.
In the meanwhile, our baby needs some vaccinations for a months infant - Rota (3rd dose), HBV - Hepatitis B (3rd dose), and the DTaP+IPV+Hib vaccine.

Does anyone have experience in getting shots for an infant before they are in OHIP?

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I thought the OHIP period was waved due to Covid. Anyways call your local public health unit and they can help. As soon as you land, find a family doctor. There are waiting lists so some people don’t even have one.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought the OHIP period was waved due to Covid. Anyways call your local public health unit and they can help. As soon as you land, find a family doctor. There are waiting lists so some people don’t even have one.
As you probably noticed in the other thread, the infant is not PR yet, thus the question.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all
My wife, daugther and I will move to Toronto in September when the child wil be 5 months old.
My wife and I are PR, but the child was born abroad so we will submit the sponsership papers when we get there.
In the meanwhile, our baby needs some vaccinations for a months infant - Rota (3rd dose), HBV - Hepatitis B (3rd dose), and the DTaP+IPV+Hib vaccine.

Does anyone have experience in getting shots for an infant before they are in OHIP?

Thanks!
Your child needs more than vaccination they need a well baby check-up. You can book a well baby check-up and vaccinations at a reasonable cost. Due to covid many public health resources have ben redeployed to deal with covid. Doesn't look like that ottawa public health has a vaccination clinic. It will not be very expensive.

Last edited:

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Hi all

Thanks!
We did the vaccinations for our 5-month old daughter when we moved as temporary workers in 2015 in Ontario. OHIP has a 90-days waiting but I had my employer provided insurance from day-1. We went to a family doctor in our area and they provided us a cost estimates for the OHIP uninsured services. I paid the charges out of my pocket and claimed the amount to my employer's provided insurance. The doctor kept us in the queue in order to accept us as her regular patients few months later. Kids vaccinations are covered under OHIP once you are eligible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We did the vaccinations for our 5-month old daughter when we moved as temporary workers in 2015 in Ontario. OHIP has a 90-days waiting but I had my employer provided insurance from day-1. We went to a family doctor in our area and they provided us a cost estimates for the OHIP uninsured services. I paid the charges out of my pocket and claimed the amount to my employer's provided insurance. The doctor kept us in the queue in order to accept us as her regular patients few months later. Kids vaccinations are covered under OHIP once you are eligible.
Most extended benefits require you to have OHIP first. Your employer may have provided your family with full health coverage for 3 months which is rare.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Most extended benefits require you to have OHIP first. Your employer may have provided your family with full health coverage for 3 months which is rare.
That's correct. My employer provided full health coverage for my family for initial 3 months.

Getting the vaccination for infant is not a problem, it is just that you need to pay upfront if you don't have OHIP (or private insurance to claim it later).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's correct. My employer provided full health coverage for my family for initial 3 months.

Getting the vaccination for infant is not a problem, it is just that you need to pay upfront if you don't have OHIP (or private insurance to claim it later).
Most people won’t pay for complete health coverage for their family because it will be extremely expensive and would make more sense to pay cash for routine care. If people have extended benefit plans through work they only cover people who have provincial healthcare already. Your situation is pretty uncommon and I assume you work for a large employer in a more senior position..